DJA 1946 BDAc AI Dogfight Tournament

I have problems with the procedural parts mods where attachment nodes suddenly go missing after a reload (meaning a stable plane is suddenly unstable).

How do you deal with that it seems to be a known issue so maybe there are workarounds?

I think the procedural nose cone is less susceptible to that but it also happens, but just not always.

It would be sad to submit a plane just to see it disintegrate at the first high G turn.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, Alioth81 said:

I have problems with the procedural parts mods where attachment nodes suddenly go missing after a reload (meaning a stable plane is suddenly unstable).

How do you deal with that it seems to be a known issue so maybe there are workarounds?

I think the procedural nose cone is less susceptible to that but it also happens, but just not always.

It would be sad to submit a plane just to see it disintegrate at the first high G turn.

Yes I have this problem as well. Insofar as I can tell, it comes from undoing anything to do with a nosecone, or possibly even regular parts. The only solution I found is is to delete the parts and rebuild that section of a craft.

Edited by Pds314

@aleksey444 Thank you for the invitation, but I'm afraid I have exams the following week from today (because the Canadian education system is the best when it comes to freedom :P) If the competition is still open, maybe I'll try to enter though.

As I haven't received any entries yet, a reminder that submissions are due this Friday -  I'd like to begin recording the first few rounds before the 4th. However, because the 4th of July will be getting in the way, I doubt I'll get through all of round 1 before then, so if one or two of you need additional time, I'm willing to accept late entries up till the 9th and sneak you into the tourney lineup.

Hi Everyone,

As I am new here and can't use PM. I would like to submit my entry here:

H-7 is a single engine test aircraft I experimented with to find out how FAR and the sample crafts work, spent too much time tweaking it and ran out of time, to develop a 2 engine craft.
So I would like to enter this version.
pPXcKyo.jpg

This (H-11)is the two engine craft, I could not finish:
XHAR7Pz.jpg

Feel free to download and play arround with them. Will be looking forward to seening more inspiring builds. I had fun building these aircraft, for this competition, thanks.

Ok. All my attempted fighter designs plus the dummy, minus absurd supersonic-optimized test planes, needles, and missiles that could never land at under 150 m/s, let alone win a fight before running out of fuel. I am submitting one of them.

0RZKmEw.png

Edited by Pds314

I'll be submitting an entry as well. Didn't put in as much effort as I could have, in part due to performance issues, but it'll fall out of the sky just as graciously regardless. It's very loosely inspired by the Attacker jet fighter.

I think... with breaking ground, I can finally do "stock" props that the AI will understand how to fly.... Anyone interested in seeing stock+BG props fight in the stock souposphere? Or in the FAR atmosphere? Possibly even Autogyros or helicopters could fight although I doubt the AI could fly an autogyro well or a helicopter at all.

Or possibly even Ornithopters dueling in mid air, powered by flapping like majestic eagles (read: randomly flailing their wings in a desparate attempt accelerate), although I have yet to build a functional one of those.

Edited by Pds314

Me1_base: No on the smoke trails. I can see the potential for them in a BDA air combat setting (I was thinking something like a single team colored trail per plane) but even that seems a bit too Ace Combat mission debrief for this.

Pds314: Triebflugel when?

---------------
Last day to get something in. I'll be collecting entries early Sat morning, so there's still 20~ish hours left. As mentioned before, because of the proximity to the 4th, I'm willing to accept one or two late entries. (if there is someone who this applies, let me know that you'll be submitting something so I can reserve a slot in the roster.)

Ok, it's Saturday, and I've only collected 7 entries. I stated earlier I was willing to accept a few late entries (tetryds, if you can get something done in the next few days I'll accept it, and @dundun92 and @OmegaForce looked like they had entries but haven't submitted anything yet), and while I wanted to get in a few battles before the 4th (I'll be out of town for a few days), I'm wondering if it would be better to simply extend the deadline to the 7/9 cutoff point I said for late entries (or allow 2 entries per person). Battles will happen regardless of the ultimate number of planes I get, I just would like to have enough of them that the tourney isn't over in a week.

14 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

or allow 2 entries per person

2 entries per person:cool:

I would like to test survivability vs maneuverability.

My first entry emphasize survivability over maneuverability. I have participated in BADT like modern dogfight tournament which required planes to dodge missiles. I have learnt to design maneuverable planes for that tournament. But after two years, BDA have changed a lot and I really cannot figure out the strategy of tweaking AI to be the utmost dogfighter. Therefore I choose to emphasize survivability.

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5041224?p=6&share_medium=android&share_source=copy_link&bbid=OQloCjwLbV9tC25eIl4iinfoc&ts=1561871788083

BDA dogfight back in 2016

Edited by Me1_base

2 aircraft? Hmmmmmm.... to submit a highly competitiveness-oriented aircraft for my second one or something highly experimental and strange that can go 1000 mph or eat 40mm shells for breakfast or is totally asymmetrical something...

Or build a replica.

Edited by Pds314

My second entry, the L-24 Broadhead. It's a bit of a gamble since it cannot, and will never, out-turn you at equal speed unless you are flying a lawn dart, but it is a single-engine fighter with a stock cockpit and a 9m wingspan capable of going 338 m/s at sealevel, and above 6000 m altitude or in even a modest dive it can go above Mach 1.000. It turns out the only way to give it low drag is to minimize the wings, and the only way to minimize the wings while allowing it to retain energy in a turn is to make them long and swept.

It does suffer from aeroelastic flutter at supersonic speeds though.

It is armed with 4x Hispano 20mm.

gs3Dr5U.png

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.