Micro-Airplane Challenge

Your mission is simple create the smallest plane possible.

1.  The lower the score the better.

2.  Add width, length, and height to get your score.

3. Only Jet engines are allowed

4. Part clipping is allowed, as long as You do not go overboard.

Here is my submission to kick things off.

nVSCTvm.jpg

Leaderboard
Name Score Rank
Rocket in my pocket 3.7 1

KingDomino111

4.5 2
Klapaucius 7.4 3
Lapis 11 4

Edited by lapis
Pings Removed, some of them at least.

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Your mission is simple create the smallest plane possible.

1.  the higher score the better.

2.To get your score add width to height and divide by weight.

Uh... I'm not sure I understand the scoring. So if I make my plane bigger by moving parts further apart (while keeping weight more or less the same) I get a better score?

Edited by vyznev

Here is my entry. It is named Cole Palen after the founder of the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, which my parents took me to when I around 5 or 6.  I unfortunately, have not had the opportunity to return, but it is on the bucket list.  If you have not been, you should go.

Anyway, here is the little critter.  Definitely one of my more exciting landings (that did not wreck the plane).  To mix things up a bit, I decided to do some sightseeing, so I rolled it off the Woomerang launch pad.

Height: 1.7

Width: 3.5 (I could probably knock down the width, but I'll sacrifice some landing and takeoff stability to do so).

Length: 2.2

Total: 7.4

k4Qx7Hs.png

2IBqZrS.png

24kuidO.png

Edited by Klapaucius

H: 0.9

W: 1.3

L: 1.5

Total: 3.7

The "FlyingBrick1" Takes off and lands horizontally, on it's titular "skid brick", courtesy of 80 m/s impact tolerance. Could have made it smaller with more clipping, but didn't want to break the rather vague rule lol. (Plus, I always like to leave room for further entries in a challenge, if I can. :))

20EA1CBFC32D89F66C08D65A9364E2C6F8471751

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

H: 0.9

W: 1.3

L: 1.5

Total: 3.7

The "FlyingBrick1" Takes off and lands horizontally, on it's titular "skid brick", courtesy of 80 m/s impact tolerance. Could have made it smaller with more clipping, but didn't want to break the rather vague rule lol. (Plus, I always like to leave room for further entries in a challenge, if I can. :))

20EA1CBFC32D89F66C08D65A9364E2C6F8471751

Good job! The forums are being a bit weird and not letting me delete the mentions in the OP. So i can't update the leaderboard  with your score right now. i will try again in a little bit. sorry:(

Edited by lapis

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Good job! The forums are being a bit weird and not letting me delete the mentions in the OP. So i can't update the leaderboard  with your score right now. i will try again in a little bit. sorry:(

Not a problem, I'm not a big "leader boards" guy, I just like to make entries for fun. Good challenge! :)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

u7c0i45.jpg

Height: 0.7m

Width: 1.3m

Length: 1.3m

Score: 3.3

I reduced the overall width of the craft by only using only one wing piece (which surprisingly allows for level flight at around 60m/s). Used a similar principal to @Rocket In My Pocket with the structural piece being used as landing gear due to its crazy high crash tolerance. It reaches maximum speed at about 250m/s and is actually not too hard to fly. I thought using a dumpling fuel tank instead of an oscar b would reduce the length of the craft but it's about the same. I tried to avoid clipping any further than I did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.