Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

Not to be that guy; but all those things you can get in mods for nothing.  I love the game and support it; but $15 for a mod pack that I already have everythng in it loaded in my game?

Got to say I'm really impressed with not only this update, but with the new development speed with ksp in general. 

I'm on console so I realise it will be a long time before we get this, if at all. 

But even the new patch on console shows they are actually testing the game more thoroughly. And listening to the community. 

And to those who say this can be done with mods, well that's all well for you but not everyone wants or has access to mods. 

Anyway for the moment I'm just hoping to get the dv indicator on console some time soon. And hopefully some of whats in this update also.

Mostly the stock robotics:D.

Just now, Fr8monkey said:

Not to be that guy; but all those things you can get in mods for nothing.  I love the game and support it; but $15 for a mod pack that I already have everythng in it loaded in my game?

Can you get those new surface features in any mods? AFAIK that’s the main feature of this DLC.

19 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@UomoCapra -  Will these new Science experiments still be instantaneous like all other science in the game (click "perform experiment" and it kicks out points) or will there be time-based experiments and reasons to hang around or re-visit a site to get more Science?

The deployable experiments will take measurements over time. and you'll be able to speed up this process by having specialized (e.g. scientists) Kerbals operating them. Unlike other experiments, Deployed Science will need to be set up like a base, where you'll need to take care of energy requirements and transmission equipment, as well as having a central station for  the experiments to work.

Just now, UomoCapra said:

The deployable experiments will take measurements over time. and you'll be able to speed up this process by having specialized (e.g. scientists) Kerbals operating them. Unlike other experiments. Deployed Science will need to be set up like a base, where you'll need to take care of energy requirements and transmission equipment, as well as having a central station for  the experiments to work.

Excellent...this is an improvement over the usual 'go to place, click, go to another place, click again, leave' of KSP science.

Thanks, guys! I can see you're really trying to make the game better any way you can :D

1 minute ago, UomoCapra said:

The deployable experiments will take measurements over time. and you'll be able to speed up this process by having specialized (e.g. scientists) Kerbals operating them. Unlike other experiments. Deployed Science will need to be set up like a base, where you'll need to take care of energy requirements and transmission equipment, as well as having a central station for  the experiments to work.

Very cool - Hopefully you'll take a pass at existing experiments too? Be a great chance to refresh science in general ;) 

Wow this is really awesome! I'll probably get this (along with the other dlc) down the road.

One thing I would like to know about is its compatibility with the current mods though. As you might probably know, robotic parts already exist via IR, and afaik modders can use IR to make their own robotic parts too, making it highly compatible. SEP is a mod that requires KIS/KAS and it makes perfect sense for it to be so.

As you can see, the mods interplay with each other which makes this game really really fun and highly increases the game's replay value

@UomoCapra If the user has the DLC, would the modders be able to, say use the stock robotics system to make their own robotic parts too?

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@SQUAD it's early to say, but this surface science stuff - will it be possible for modders to add new experiments that use the same system? And, to be sure, would that be allowed even (since it's a DLC)? Obviously it would need to have the DLC as a dependency I figure so probably not a problem?

Would the modders be able to make their own deployable experiments using the system the dlc uses (As @CobaltWolf asks in the above quote)

Cheers~

Edit: add mention

Edited by johnkeale

13 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

SEP was officially discontinued yesterday.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, CobaltWolf said:

So, I suppose there's no easy way to say this, so I just will... but SEP v2.7 (released this past January) will be the last update for SEP, for a number of reasons:

• I checked when I found out about the legacy KAS stuff breaking, I believe I've lost the source files for the parts in the several years since they were originally made, so they would have to get remade from scratch.
  • I already wanted to remake the parts for this mod from scratch before I added anything else, but the parts aren't that enjoyable for me to make.
  • In general, working on SEP quickly stopped being enjoyable following the initial release, because making and testing these parts is miserable and time consuming. (Testing a fix for SEP can take hours rather than minutes)
  • I actively make a much bigger (if less popular) mod, which takes up pretty much all my free time and focus.
  • Some things I had planned for SEP (an expansion on hand tools for enhanced soil and rock samples) seem outside the scope of possibility in the current implementation of KSP.
  • There are a number of breaking bugs, such as wonkiness with terrain colliders and some quirks of KIS/KAS, that have persisted through the lifetime of the mod and can't be fixed.
  • DMagic generally feels the same way as myself on these points. Albert, the author of the original MSEP, does not play KSP anymore and has been in contact with me only once in the last two years.

tl;dr SEP is not an enjoyable way for me to spend my free time.

I'm sorry for not being more active on this thread over the last ~three years. I understand the deafening silence, especially in the face of mod breaking bugs, especially when the bugs are the kind that are within my control, is not fair to our users. It took me a while to get up the nerve to say this, but the changes to KAS and the amount of effort that would be required to make the mod work properly with them, is more effort than I'm willing to put into keeping this mod around.

With all that said, I'm glad that people seem to generally have enjoyed using SEP over the years. Perhaps my longest standing issue with KSP has always been a lack of interesting stuff to do once you build rockets and get to your destination. Though it doesn't approach stuff like Pathfinder or USI, I'm glad to have done a small part with making the surface more interesting.

For the time being, if there is a combination of legacy patches that keep the mod working, I suggest you all keep using that - if there are community fixes, that's great, but me and DMagic would prefer that SEP does not get adopted. And, if you're sad about this mod passing into the ether, don't worry... :wink:

-CW

2 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I can't believe you actually listened. After all these years of my pestering about surface mineral collecting, you listened. :wub:

rOJm4dH7dUHrWKZXX0cgDsyFur3m_Kty9Bv0sqNVTqVYqIyh07hENJt64SWzfHX6Oc9tA4HdDfqeBLSsEOtrgTYebjb9r5xGN5juLB4aqhlHG43Jz9CzbgOgkB2d5VIUcRGTpYo8

Same goes for the robotics thb, making stock props take up about 50 hours in ksp for me so I'm super happy we can finally replace it with near perfect bearings

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

SEP was officially discontinued yesterday.

Oh that's sad. SEP is an awesome mod, and I've been wanting to try it for a while now. I just don't have a naming scheme for SEP 'bases' that's why I haven't tried it yet. If it turns out that you can add new deployable experiments using the DLC, would you reconsider adopting SEP to the new system? Or have you really closed the doors for SEP?

16 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

The deployable experiments will take measurements over time. and you'll be able to speed up this process by having specialized (e.g. scientists) Kerbals operating them. Unlike other experiments, Deployed Science will need to be set up like a base, where you'll need to take care of energy requirements and transmission equipment, as well as having a central station for  the experiments to work.

You said 'deployable.' How are the experiments deployable? Are they movable/placeable with a Kerbal, or do we have to have a rover that goes around and drops them off with decouplers?

Edited by TimothyC