Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

Need any more explanation?

Well, kinda, yeah.  I mean, I get that not everyone likes the same thing.  I'm jazzed about the new features myself, especially the robotics.  If you don't like it, okay, then don't buy it... but just saying "boooooo" isn't particularly helpful or interesting for anyone.  Would be interesting to know why you're unhappy, otherwise it's just pointless kvetching.

16 minutes ago, Snark said:

Well, kinda, yeah.  I mean, I get that not everyone likes the same thing.  I'm jazzed about the new features myself, especially the robotics.  If you don't like it, okay, then don't buy it... but just saying "boooooo" isn't particularly helpful or interesting for anyone.  Would be interesting to know why you're unhappy, otherwise it's just pointless kvetching.

@Snark you are right

Edited by Nigel Cardozo

2 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I've got to disagree with the various "only if it's free" type comments.

As has been stated many, many, many times before, all development costs money. If anyone is expecting any developer to continue adding/bug fixing indefinitely to a game without additional income, they'll be sorely disappointed.

I for one will be buying this the day it is released. So far I've spent something between 2000 and 3000 hours playing this game, for a total outlay of less than £40 (base game + MH) so my fun to funds ratio is looking pretty good right now.

Yeah I get what you're talking about. Software development is costly, and I am also willing to buy the DLC. In fact I think it's worth more than it's current price.

But I think @Gameslinx has a point too. The planets have been bland for a while now. They needed something to spice them up. So I actually like his proposal to put the anomalies on the base game, but have the functionality to interact with them on the DLC. I think it's a good compromise.

1 minute ago, johnkeale said:

Yeah I get what you're talking about. Software development is costly, and I am also willing to buy the DLC. In fact I think it's worth more than it's current price.

But I think @Gameslinx has a point too. The planets have been bland for a while now. They needed something to spice them up. So I actually like his proposal to put the anomalies on the base game, but have the functionality to interact with them on the DLC. I think it's a good compromise.

Ok. So @SQUAD please listen to this

@Gameslinx you have a point

22 minutes ago, scottadges said:

It really seems like there's a lot in this DLC, but I'm wondering at the price of $14.99. With the base game for net new players going for $39.99, I would expect this to be a TON of stuff for a DLC that costs almost half the base game.

Otherwise, it's a pretty blatant "monetization strategy" to get as much money as possible from the game (which OK yes, game developers need to make money). But they know that this very active community will almost certainly purchase it, so they can price it however high they want regardless of total in-game value of the content.

Offering expensive DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing in terms of capitalism, but they need to weigh how much they're putting in for the price they're asking, is all I'm saying.

I paid 18 USD to see "Avengers: Endgame". I enjoyed myself for 3 hours.

I have more than 4200 hours clocked in at KSP - and that's just my Steam install, my other variants (RO, OPM, ... ) not counting. I paid about 30 USD back then for KSP and 15 for Making History and I will gladly shell out 15 for Breaking Ground.

All in all a total of 60 USD for a game that already gave me thousands of hours of fun. Triple A titles ask for the same amount of money for a hammy single player campaign and a derivative multiplayer part I am not interested in.

Add to that, KSP taught me a lot about orbital mechanics and space travel and opened my horizon in all things space. That's invaluable.

And of course it's a monetization strategy. The base game does not have the same pull it did years (!) ago. The company behind this wants to survive, maybe hire another dev or two. I can live with that.

Edited by ShadowZone

18 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Finally a step in the right direction in regards to making planets more interesting. But if we have to pay for this? No. This is desperately needed in the base game because the planets are incredibly bland as they are and need serious attention.

In the end, professional software development costs money and this is how it’s raised.

We are blessed with a wonderful modding community who do all this kind of functionality for free. That is awesome, but it also means that we have to deal with abandoned mods, discontinued maintenance, and so on. Getting this kind of extra functionality into the game is great. I don’t mind that it comes through a DLC, even if something similar is (partly) available through free mods like Infernal Robotics. First of all, the incredibly talented mod creators now have the freedom to decide if they want to continue sacrificing their free time for these mods, or focus on other things to make the game even more awesome. Second, the DLC implies a “contract” that will guarantee upgrades when a new KSP update comes out, bug fixes (regardless of how you think they’ve been addressed in the past), etc.

Should this be basic functionality. Maybe. But it wasn’t when 1.0 came out (and we can have a wonderful conversation about that, but 1.0 set the expectations as of what KSP entailed; at that point you wouldn’t expect any major extension of game functionality.

Yes, maybe this is a way that Squad weazels its way out of the (shortsighted) promise of “you never have to pay for updates.” But without a subscription model (thank goodness), it’s foolish to assume that development of the game continues without an income source. DLC provides that income stream and you get something quite substantial for it back in return.

Those of you who complain about how all this should be free, realize that a large part of the recent 1.X upgrades is financed by those DLC sales. I prefer paying for that over not getting anything.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Getting this kind of extra functionality into the game is great.

Oh definitely, I can't agree more.

I'd love to see the models of the scatters in the stock game, just without the functionality. The functionality, interactions and such should come from the DLC.

23 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

It's a DLC, so yeah, it will not be a full replacement for KIS. Still I wish the DLC would be compatible to the existing mods, since I will definitely buy it and I don't want to give up the mods I have installed.

That portion of the feature will actually be included in the free portion of the DLC release.  But it will be hidden because only the DLC functionality uses it.  Modders can use it though, and it will be visible in the base game once modders add their own parts that use it.

However, for a wide variety of reasons, legal, logistical, etc (IANAL but this is pretty obvious) nothing Squad does can depend on the existence of a player-built mod.   We can release stuff that you guys can then make compatible with your own mods, but not vice versa.  

Personally, I think the DLC is worth more than its current price. But I'm a filthy weab that buys overpriced plastic figures, so my sense of value is somewhat off. :v But the point still stands, the DLC brings so much new content to the game that I think it's worth a go. 

5 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Yes, maybe this is a way that Squad weazels its way out of the (shortsighted) promise of “you never have to pay for updates.” But without a subscription model (thank goodness), it’s foolish to assume that development of the game continues without an income source. DLC provides that income stream and you get something quite substantial for it back in return.

As quoted above, this is one good way to keep the game going. Let's be practical here, software development costs money, and this DLC is a really good way to generate income for the game. It has robotic parts people! And deployable experiments! Rover arms!

Though I still stand by Gameslinx point. Maybe have the anomalies on the base game and the functionality on the DLC. It's a really good compromise IMO.

3 minutes ago, MiscelanousItem said:

I can't stress how much I agree with @Gameslinx ,if the terrain scatterers are not in the stock game  I won't buy the DLC, and I think that many community members agree. So @SQUAD , think about it!

This doesn't make too much sense to me. If someone really cares about more terrain scatters and things to do with them, then they will probably buy the DLC. If they really want such a feature to be in the stock game, but aren't planning on buying the DLC then it doesn't much matter, they weren't going to buy it anyway.

I imagine there is a very small number of players that care so much about this aspect that they would not buy a DLC that they were already planning to buy, just because of that one feature. I'm guessing there will be a small number of players that quietly think that way, and 3 or 4 that loudly think that way, and not much more.

They really should improve the base game at the same time -- But I don't think it is worth boycotting this expansion because of it.

This is exactly the kind of direction I want KSP to be moving in. And remember, they HAVE been adding functionality to the base game (∆v, texture upgrades, etc. )