Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

What's the point? It's already done by modders. I'd rather they spent time and resources on something that we can't get with mods.

Because clouds should have never needed to be a mod in the first place?  Mods should be additive, not completive.

9 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

I see where you're coming from. I believe that this is just some bad impressions gained from the all those debacles with EA. But I believe (and hope to continue believing) that KSP is different from all those other games.

KSP definitely is different from all of those games, even the feared T2 'takeover' hasn't affected that. We've gotten a burn time indicator, Dv readouts, and new UI elements, for free. I'm happy to spend another 15 dollars to keep development going.
And I'm pretty certain SQUAD won't let me walk a Kerbal to some crystals lying around and then would ask me to buy science equipment  

17 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

You are complaining for companies giving you more than they otherwise would? Personally I think getting more and having the option to get extra features is much better on the consumer, since the company gets more trust. I like to think that Squad cares more about their community than they do about their business practice, and this is a logical thing they'd do if they did (however the latter is subjective)

Backwards logic, but okay. 

We indeed have a bit of a different perspective :) Because I would actually feel I would be getting less than otherwise, and not being given the full game If I would be  walking up to some scatter laying around and being confronted with an ad to 'buy more' to get the full Kerbal experience. My guess is we'll just see an ad when we boot KSP like with the introduction of MH which would suffice.
I'm perfectly fine to pay for DLC, especially when it comes to KSP due to it still being developed and adding the scatter to the base game sounds good to me to, I'd would just feel a bit like monetization to me if I would be confronted to spend real money during actual gameplay, it just doesn't sound like a Kerbal thing to do.

9 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Yes, but you're already gone.  Oh well.

Nay. I've got a challenge to finish before I exit. It won't be long though. I refuse to support pay to win in any way.

@nestor, I have a bone to pick with you :P

As ever, Squad is looking upward—but also forward. Devotion to space history only makes so much sense when your pilots are gawping green mascots, anyway. "NASA never did an experiment to crash something," Gomez admits. "But it’s a perfect example of having fun with science, no?"

NASA has done plenty of impact experiments, most notably, they crashed the S-IVB lunar-injection stages from the Apollo rockets into the moon to provide data for the very seismic sensors included in the surface experiment packages (heh) that yours are based off of! :)

(anyone interested, there is a large interview article on PC Gamer up now, as well as an article about the DLC that provides some more insight into features that may not have been mentioned explicitly in the announcement)

EDIT:

8 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Nay. I've got a challenge to finish before I exit. It won't be long though. I refuse to support pay to win in any way.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

Edited by CobaltWolf

As a random aside not related to anything the forum may auto-append this post to, or directed to anybody quoted in the posts I quoted that this then got appended to, can someone explain to me why Squad charging for content means they are money-grubbing evil capitalists, and those who refuse to pay more than the stipend they originally paid for the game are not?

Edited by 5thHorseman

6 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Pay to win? How is this pay to win? Nobody wins or loses in KSP.

Outside Kerbals anyways. Kerbals die.

Edited by Xurkitree

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

NASA has done plenty of impact experiments, most notably, they crashed the S-IVB lunar-injection stages from the Apollo rockets into the moon to provide data for the very seismic sensors included in the surface experiment packages (heh) that yours are based off of!

Yeah, the context from the interview was lost in the quote. What I was trying to say was building big rockets to crash them on the surface for fun and science. 

1 hour ago, klesh said:

Besides, Take Two Interactive owns all things Kerbal now, and in order to get a KSP 2 someday, we need to all be good little recurrent spenders!

For that very reason, KSP 2 will be an always-online live service with 5 different deluxe editions, 10-year DLC roadmap, tons and tons of cosmetic micro transactions, missions that award loot boxes with rocket parts (can buy those with real money too), launch cooldown timer (pay to skip the wait), etc, etc, etc...

9 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

I refuse to support pay to win in any way.

Aside from the fact that there's no such thing as "winning" in KSP... I'm a bit confused.  You're... not willing to pay companies when they do work to ship a new product?

I mean, developing product costs money.  Companies basically have to charge for it.  So either you think the product they're selling is worth the price they're asking for, and you buy it; or else you don't think it is, so you keep your cash in your pocket.

Or am I misunderstanding you, somehow?  I'm confused.

I wasn't seeing it quickly so it may already be answered. Question:

Is there going to be a value DLC bundle for this one? Buy one get the second for half price?

3 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

The deployable experiments will take measurements over time. and you'll be able to speed up this process by having specialized (e.g. scientists) Kerbals operating them. Unlike other experiments, Deployed Science will need to be set up like a base, where you'll need to take care of energy requirements and transmission equipment, as well as having a central station for  the experiments to work.

Does Deployed Science work in orbit too? Specifically, the coding behind the experiments? If so, that would bring an interesting dimension to space stations as well.

37 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The same Squad that enacted drilling, data transmission, and the mobile lab.

Sometimes you need a few pieces of evidence to be convinced.  I needed convinced.

39 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

I refuse to support pay to win in any way.

Multiplayer confirmed!?

One of the less fun elements of the game was how little activity you had on landing. Run some experiments and 3 minutes later you go home. 

It’s why I preferred rovers  A one and done lander wasn’t worth it  

This DLC makes spending time on the surface far more realistic and interesting. Landers will have long-term things to do. Rovers with arms sound awesome.

Does anyone think the timing works well with the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, where a crew placed experiments on the surface?  

Looking very forward to this!

11 minutes ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

Snip>

Does anyone think the timing works well with the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, where a crew placed experiments on the surface?  <snip

We still have non-functioning service modules from the first DLC. So now, I'm just reminded of that.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
grammar.

To clarify from before, having a system like Deployed Science for space stations would be awesome... launch with experiments attached, EVA to start or calibrate or something, then let them run. Over time, they complete. Then bring them home for science. Maybe they’re deployed via kerbal on EVA, maybe they’re stuffed into a cargo or service bay. But such a system would benefit stations as well as ground research...

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Mods should be additive, not completive.

A dangerous statement you made there :) A complete KSP is a hardcore space sim with kerbals for me. I love Kerbals. If I could get my super real KSP style rocket building space sim but the only thing it lacked was kerbals and the humor I would still play this KSP. I cannot describe what why I like them so much but I bet you understand :) 

This is very good news but if somebody will ask me, I dream about new star systems, new branches in a tech tree and harder gameplay.
The main rule of improving the game is to improve the most important part of its gameplay.

You should understand me, I am one of that first thousands of players that completed this game years ago and inventing new challenges for myself. I want to take that challenges from you, not to play only with my own imagination.

I just let my mind idle for a bit and came up with at least 50 ideas for what I want to do with the robotic parts. This is beyond my wildest dreams! Thank you sooo very much Squad. 

I would buy this alone for the little camera arm to put on rovers. :D

Why is it that every time I get to a point with KSP that I think "Ok, this version isn't too buggy, mods are working and everything is running smooth so I'm just not going to update any more" then within days Squad will go and announce something to force me to change my mind?  Because I definitely don't want to pass up this new DLC.   I'm sure it will have plenty of bugs on release - they are adding multiple new functions to the game after all - but it looks like it will be great.