Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, klesh said:

Because the way its being suggested would incentivize the player recurrent spender to want more out of those new terrain scatters than just looking at them.

Player: "Boy, these new surface features are so cool looking, I wish I could deploy a thingamabob and run doohickey tests on them!"

Private Division:  "We have just the thing for you!"

Knowing the community here, I’m with team Snark on this: “the DLC doesn’t offer enough to be worth $15”

Personally I’llhappily fork over $15, compared to what other companies offer, the part overhauls over the past few versions alone were worth it.

We might complain about what the game offers and what it doesn’t, but in the end there are very few games that offer as much value as KSP. Something that those who  demand this to be free (not suggesting that’s you, @klesh, far from that) should consider.

34 minutes ago, ClintKenway said:

Hi. Is this just for PC, or will it also be getting released for Mac?

I hate to speak for Squad when I don't know anything, but based on past releases yes, this will be available on Mac at the exact same time it's available on PC. Linux, too. The only ones who won't get it right away are consoles.

So Ive been so looking forward to this DLC. The possibilities in my historic re-enactments in KSP are absolutely Epic.So  in a quick recap Hinges, possible hydrolics new suits, new science and rover probe arm, rollers or bearings possible cargo pod and KAS system?

For me it means a stable canarm and Prop planes (Finally a TU-95 Recon) and (Lifter)Helicopters.

I never was much of a krakentech guy and this will be so much better for the Parts count!

So I am in 110%! Thx Squad!

This expansion is great!  When I saw the title, I thought there would be deployables in the form of ground-based/inflatable habitats or space station modules.  I really hope this is something you have planned in the near future or if it just hasn't been revealed to be a part of this DLC.

Edited by Caelib

Great news that the moons and planets are getting some love and personality. I'm curious if the science points will get balanced now that there will be more of them to farm (I assume), or if they will have other functions. I've been playing Borderlands2 lately and the money system becomes pretty much pointless after a bit, and it appears BL3 will address this which is nice. I'd love to see the gathering of science points as a reason to get out to all the planets.

CANT WAIT to support the game i love and also get some new goodies!!!I dont even question myself if the content is worth that amount of money.

This game deserves our support and i am confident this will add a lot of new things to do in an already huge sandbox game!

Edited by Boyster

@SQUAD (or @nestor), I noticed that the imgur hi-res album shots displays a quad-copter with what seems to be rotating servo motors of some sort.  My suggestion (if not already considered/implemented) is that aerodynamic control surfaces have an option to be linked to throttle input via the PAW, similar to the Deploy function but scaled via the throttle setting through the allowable deploy range limiter.

Example: Four spinning servo motors, and each have four control surfaces attached, each with a *potential* "Control by throttle" option enabled in the Part Action Window, and deploy limit set to 75%.  As the throttle is increased, all control surfaces increase pitch uniformly through their respective limiter settings.  When throttle is at 100%, the control surfaces are at 75% deflection, when the throttle is cut to 0%, the control surfaces return to 0% deflection.

My reasoning is this: 1) Historically when making a jet-powered VTOL in KSP the vertical thrust to increase/decrease lift has a slow response time while waiting for the engine to spool up/down.  Since control surfaces react much more quickly to control inputs, having the option to link them to the throttle would result in much more responsive lift thrust for better controllability. 2) When making propeller/rotor-based craft, users will often adjust lift produced by spinning control surfaces by having the PAW's pinned and adjusting the deploy limiter range to increase/decrease lift in a similar manner; however with craft that have more than one prop/rotor system (like that quadcopter), this must be done one rotor at a time, leading to moments of asymmetric thrust, not to mention a very clunky and imprecise method for controlling a craft.

In essence, I am referring to how helicopters and similar craft manage vertical lift in real-life.  The engines maintain the rotor at a constant RPM, and the rotor blades themselves adjust their pitch to quickly and precisely increase/decrease vertical lift.  I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions on how these rotating parts would/would not work (or if this was even possible to be coded into the aero control surfaces), but I wanted to bring up this functionality because I believe it to be very important if someone wanted to make rotor-based craft in KSP like that quadcopter.

2 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Example: Four spinning servo motors, and each have four control surfaces attached, each with a *potential* "Control by throttle" option enabled in the Part Action Window, and deploy limit set to 75%.  As the throttle is increased, all control surfaces increase pitch uniformly through their respective limiter settings.  When throttle is at 100%, the control surfaces are at 75% deflection, when the throttle is cut to 0%, the control surfaces return to 0% deflection.

You could also hook up the throttle to the speeds of the servos themselves.

I wonder how much this will change the "stock" prop game. I guess it depends on how fast those can spin.

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

@SQUAD (or @nestor), I noticed that the imgur hi-res album shots displays a quad-copter with what seems to be rotating servo motors of some sort.  My suggestion (if not already considered/implemented) is that aerodynamic control surfaces have an option to be linked to throttle input via the PAW, similar to the Deploy function but scaled via the throttle setting through the allowable deploy range limiter.

My reasoning is this: 1) Historically when making a jet-powered VTOL in KSP the vertical thrust to increase/decrease lift has a slow response time while waiting for the engine to spool up/down.  Since control surfaces react much more quickly to control inputs, having the option to link them to the throttle would result in much more responsive lift thrust for better controllability. 2) When making propeller/rotor-based craft, users will often adjust lift produced by spinning control surfaces by having the PAW's pinned and adjusting the deploy limiter range to increase/decrease lift in a similar manner; however with craft that have more than one prop/rotor system (like that quadcopter), this must be done one rotor at a time, leading to moments of asymmetric thrust, not to mention a very clunky and imprecise method for controlling a craft.

In essence, I am referring to how helicopters and similar craft manage vertical lift in real-life.  The engines maintain the rotor at a constant RPM, and the rotor blades themselves adjust their pitch to quickly and precisely increase/decrease vertical lift.  I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions on how these rotating parts would/would not work (or if this was even possible to be coded into the aero control surfaces), but I wanted to bring up this functionality because I believe it to be very important if someone wanted to make rotor-based craft in KSP like that quadcopter.

In the case of a helicopter, we're talking about cyclic inputs changing the pitch of each rotor blade as they spin, in addition to collective inputs, so the pitch would be the sum of both. I'd be very surprised (but pleasantly surprised) if KSP implements an actual swash plate. One can dream!

Does everyone like these EVA suits with neon lights running all along them?  I see now it looks like they come in 3 different colors: all blue, all orange, white and orange. Its like Tron meets KSP.

I still wonder why the Making History wheels are featured so prominently in these advertisements. Wont people be disappointed to find out they're not included?

3 minutes ago, TheNewTeddy said:

Apparently I bought early enough that I don't have to pay for this DLC

as such my question is

Is there a way I can still give you money? A patreon maybe?

Buy a copy for a friend!

2 minutes ago, klesh said:

Does everyone like these EVA suits with neon lights running all along them? 

Not really... They look cheesy to me, but then again this is an alien race and it's well within the laws of physics, and plausibility. I don't have to use them (and probably won't).

7 minutes ago, klesh said:

I still wonder why the Making History wheels are featured so prominently in these advertisements. Wont people be disappointed to find out they're not included?

I just dont get it how someone would buy only one of the two DLCs.Its not like they are 10+ of them.Seems kinda weird to just buy one of the two, not impossible but highly unlikely.

Still you have a point there but i dont think its worth to get stuck on that but thats just my personal opinion.

Edited by Boyster

1 minute ago, RocketSquid said:

OH GOD, YOU'VE RUINED ME

NOW I HAVE TO UPDATE ALL OF MY MODS AND ALSO GET 15 DOLLARS

I MIGHT ALREADY HAVE 15 DOLLARS SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE COME TO THINK OF IT

BUT STILL, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I know... I'm gonna have to, maybe pack 2 lunches instead of eating out.

I still can't believe I paid $50 for a crappy game like Ace Combat Assault Horizon, and yet for $25 I've gotten 1200 hours of obsessive entertainment out of KSP. This DLC will bring the total to $40.   Or 3 cents per hour :P