Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

13 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Just wait tell you're an adult and have to do 8 hours of chores 5 days a week.

True, but kids still have to go to school, and get homework, and don't get to pick their subjects until college. I like my work. I did not enjoy school :/

27 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Just wait tell you're an adult and have to do 8 hours of chores 5 days a week.

Tacos.

You finish the Tacos in , say, 15 minutes,  so the $5 is equal to about $20/hour.

The $15 for the DLC will give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment, equaling less than $0.20/hour. 

Which is giving you more value?

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You finish the Tacos in , say, 15 minutes,  so the $5 is equal to about $20/hour.

The $15 for the DLC will give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment, equaling less than $0.20/hour. 

Which is giving you more value?

LOL! Well I agree that KSP is an amazing value, but to play devil's advocate, I can't eat a KSP to sustain the metabolic functions in my body necessary for life. :P

Joking aside, $15 for this DLC is very, very much worth it. But I'm an adult with a steady paycheck who knows what a regrettable purchase is and what isn't.

Just now, Xavven said:

But I'm an adult with a steady paycheck who knows what a regrettable purchase is and what isn't.

Now, to be fair, depending on their source, Tacos can be one of the most regrettable purchases of all time.

I've certainly had regrettable DLC purchases, where bad tacos would have been preferable.

While MH wasn't great, I'm happy with the purchase.  I'm sure I'll be even happier with this one.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Now, to be fair, depending on their source, Tacos can be one of the most regrettable purchases of all time.

Just now, Just Jim said:

:D

Hahahaha! Seconded! :D:D:D

So I had like an essay typed out ranting over the always free for early access buyers..and the always reiteration about how pampered early access players are, however many are left that is..but instead ill just ask this..

Are there any plans to provide any sort or premium pass or bogo/btgo thing for the 6 years of players that joined past that premotion time??

My thought? Most of us know that early access prices was/is usually about half of current base game, not including dlc. Me personally would enjoy seeing yalls 'immaculate gratitude honor system' extended from the limited playerbase from 6 years ago that kept the game in development and build popularity..to the more current players that have continued the trend, even if its not the same 'deal'

This is probably a well discused topic already..but alas i do have an opinion on it nonetheless.

With that said. I enjoy the look of the new spacesuit. And I hope the robotics arnt just a shell of what IR provides. I will be buying this dlc I think regardless..cause i love ksp.

Not sure if this provides incintive that a premium pass is a good idea or not...I just wish theyd think about it...or stop posting a reiteration that early access players get everything for free, pretty sure they know by now. And all that does to me is make me regret not knowing about ksp back then..

I suppose this ended up as an essay anyways. Sorry for not knowing ksp existed in 2013?? It almost feels like a continued punishment because of that. Like im paying for the development of a future dlc..that Ill pay for again later. 

I dunno..maybe im just salty that I wish i knew about this game in 2013 and that I had a pc to play ksp on but didnt.. When it comes down to it...thats exactly it. But I would be ecstatic if I saw something similar come back for the many newer fans. Jus sayin..

Have a good day yall

9 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Deploy experiments for the long-term study of Minimus and let them collect data while you explore further sights.

Wait a minute... Minimus?

Edited by klesh

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So, if this isn't worth $5, what, in your opinion, IS worth $5?

Probably a Payday 2 DLC. When it's new, a single Perk Deck, a gun (and a few mask) can be yours for $5. It does give some bonus however.

Honestly pretty happy with what i see sofar, especially the stock (err DLC) moving parts like hinges and rotators.  I think this is going to be a no-brainer, albeit i will still wait until a bit post release as its doubtful there wont be gamebreaking bugs with something far more complex then fairings (the making history ones are still not shielding from aero fx last i checked, missing glow on MH engines, ect).   The sapcesuit actually looks cool (although i do wish it was black with glowy stripes instead of colored with glowy stripes), and the ground science parst look decent as well.

Also, while not really a good/bad thing, i do like that there is no extra junk loaded into this DLC (cough, mission builder, cough) that purely adds extra resource requirements and doesnt enhance my own gameplay (if i want a mission i make one up in my mind and do it, not game/other people telling me what to accomplish and what rules i need to follow while doing it.  I make my own KSP, and ill stick to that.  I have NEVER played career or science mode seriously since i got this thing well before that was released and yes i still do missions on my own which are limited to certain parts/tech by choice and have defined goals.  I have MH, but i only load the parts (and even then ones that i actually end up using) just as i have no way to disable the mission system (its not huge but it is a performance drain).

Edited by panzer1b

12 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

So I had like an essay typed out ranting over the always free for early access buyers..and the always reiteration about how pampered early access players are, however many are left that is..but instead ill just ask this..

Are there any plans to provide any sort or premium pass or bogo/btgo thing for the 6 years of players that joined past that premotion time??

The early early access buyers gambled on “donating” money to an exceptionally immature product. They had no clue what it would turn into, or if it would turn into anything, überhaubt.

The players who bought the game six years ago (I’m one of them)... what have they paid in total? Inluding the upcoming DLC, $65 maybe? 

That’s $65 for six years of ongoing development, an exceptional good deal. I paid more for single aircraft in MSFS. So what that some got an even better deal. The deal I got is still exceptionally good, and I have no regrets.

omg yes!!! They could literally only add what's been explicitly shown in the screenshots and I'd be insta-buying it. Very excited to see incentives for making permenant surfaces bases and actually exploring the surface! And that's not even mentioning stock hinges!

7 hours ago, Snark said:

Shrug.  Thanks to Squad's having put effort into making KSP extraordinarily moddable, that means that there's very little that one couldn't do with a mod.  Practically anything that anyone could do, has been done in some fashion by somebody somewhere.  I don't see that as a reason not to want any DLC ever.

I find myself very excited by this, because speaking both as a professional software developer and as an avid KSP modder... functionality in a mod is not the same as functionality in the stock game.  It just isn't, for a wide variety of reasons.

To take just one example:  I am super jazzed about the addition of robotics to the stock game (with the DLC, I mean), and expect I'll be diving into it headfirst with a whoop and a holler.  And yet I have never even been slightly tempted to try Infernal Robotics, at all.  That's not any disparagement, even slightly, against IR-- I'm sure it's awesome, and obviously a lot of players have had a lot of fun with it over a long time.

But it's a mod.

Something as complex as robotics is going to have a lot of troublesome edge cases, a lot of complex behavior for the player to master, etc.  If I were to get that from a mod, I'd be at the mercy of the individual mod author's availability.  No matter how skilled and diligent and public-spirited a modder is, they're just one person, who does this as a hobby in their spare time, and who doesn't owe me anything.  Which means I'm going to be hesitant to "bet the farm" (read: "have my KSP career take a critical dependency") on something that's a labor of love by one person of uncertain future availability.

Whereas by getting this from Squad, I get a much better guarantee of maintainability over time.  (In software-development-speak, mods have no SLA; Squad owes me a product that works, the modder doesn't.)  That doesn't mean it's going to work perfectly, necessarily.  It doesn't even mean that it'll necessarily work better than something that a passionate and skilled modder has spent years honing.  But it means that it's a commercial product that the company supports, and has a commercial commitment to continuing to support.

To take a somewhat related example, consider stock CommNet, versus the RemoteTech mod that was the go-to solution for communications before that:

Back in KSP 1.2, they added CommNet to the stock game, and I was turning cartwheels over it, metaphorically speaking.  I adore that feature, had wanted it for ages, and I always play with my CommNet settings cranked up to hardcore difficulty settings in order to make it a very "intrusive" and important aspect of gameplay.  "But wait," I hear you cry.  "RemoteTech had already been around a long time before that, and it's actually more sophisticated and does a bunch of stuff that CommNet doesn't.  Why were you so excited about CommNet?"

Because it's stock.

I actually played RemoteTech.  Liked it a lot.  Had several KSP careers where I sunk many, many hours of game time into it.  But... it was unstable.  It made my KSP crash often, as in "I'd darn well better make a quicksave before I ever switch ships because there's a high likelihood the game will crash when I do so."  And the likelihood of that happening went up geometrically as my career progressed and I got more ships and the communications network ramified.  It also impacted my performance.  Eventually it got to the point that the instability was too much and I finally just abandoned it.

CommNet is a pretty simple feature.  There are many things that RemoteTech does that stock CommNet doesn't.  But I'm okay with that, because CommNet has been rock-solid stable for me, it has the key features of communications that I really care about, it runs smooth as silk, and it's maintained over time by a company that's professionally invested in keeping their product viable long-term.

Perhaps that sounds silly to people who expect perfection from their games and are incensed over various bugs that KSP has had over time, including some significant bugs that have gone long periods of time without being addressed.  I get where you're coming from, because I don't like bugs, either, and I sure spend a lot of time playing this game.  ;)

However... being someone who ships software for a living myself, I've seen what goes on "inside the sausage factory" myself, so to speak.  And therefore I place a lot of importance on knowing that something I care about a lot, and intend to use for a long time, has got "official" support with the commitment of the company behind it.

Other folk can come to their own conclusions about that, of course.  If you don't like the idea of stock robotics, don't buy the DLC, it's as simple as that.  Overall, the KSP community will vote with their wallets, which is great.  Personally, I'll be in the "shut up and take my money" contingent.  :)

Preach!

9 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Oh God. Kraken Expansion incoming.

Ha!  We are Kerbals!  We live for the challenge of space exploration!  Summon the Kraken, I say, so that we may prove our valor in overcoming it!

Let's do this, Mooooooooooar Booooooooooooooster!

I like the look of this suit, it looks rad, the shoulder and arm bits are an interesting look, and the gloves look really nice as well.

@SQUAD Perhaps at some point, we can get something akin to the old cinematic suits.

dSKoxjs.jpg

unknown.png

It'd be neato to have this suit be implemented in some form. It looks amazing and it's a shame we don't have something akin to it in game.

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster
Deleted quote because the forum keeps bugging out and expanding it to half a page tall

50 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

So I had like an essay typed out ranting over the always free for early access buyers..and the always reiteration about how pampered early access players are, however many are left that is..

The people who bought it before a certain time get it for free, not because they were early supporters, but because Squad had a poorly worded user agreement at the time, well before any DLC was even being considered.  Squad could easily have told them "No, that's obviously not what we meant, pay up.", but they didn't.  It wasn't pampering, it was a company being more generous than they had any reason to.

54 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

stop posting a reiteration that early access players get everything for free, pretty sure they know by now.

Now that's a seriously bad idea. The first two pages of replies would be about that if they didn't state it up front.