Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, CyborgBarry said:

As excited as I am for this I'm a little disappointed by the seemingly arbitrary date you guys use for making this expansion free

It was not arbitrary, except that back in that month they announced that if you bought it then expansions would be free.

If they extended it now, years later, for you, why not extend it to June for me? Then July, August, etc?

Or how would you feel if you bought it early before KSP was famous and then others who did not take the chance got what you were promised was a reward for your generosity and trust?

Wait what whaaat???

Its just, just so beautiful...

4 hours ago, Adaminkton said:

I'm worried about the patch that ksp is taking.

We are getting new mechanics but only in dlc's and without them only revamps and quality of life improvements.

Well I think we have seen a bunch of really great quality of life improvements to the core game in the last year. What they’re hyping for the the DLC are some things that would hugely extend the depth of gameplay and I couldn’t be happier to pay them a little extra for it. Honestly I don’t think I’ve gotten as much time and enjoyment per dollar from anything as I’ve gotten from KSP. 

5 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

Gotty say though, that crystal looks really out of pace on Kerbin. I don't think it will be nearly as bad on other planetary bodies, but it might pay to adjust crystal coulours to fit with the enviroment, maybe?

Hopefully the modders can adjust the models.  I am worried Squad didn't think through what surface features should go where.

@UomoCapra @SQUAD can I give you an advice? I belive we need a reworked techtree, with at least the basic plane parts from the beginning. It would make sense I belive, because it's not very realistic that you have rockets first, then planes. I use for example Unmanned before manned, and it rearranges the techtree in a way, so planes comes first, so you can check out the nearby biomes with a plane to give your career a small kick in science. So?

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

Hopefully the modders can adjust the models.  I am worried Squad didn't think through what surface features should go where.

@UomoCapra @Maxsimal Can you provide any insight into this? Are the new terrain features placed depending on the biome or are they just scattered around at random? Crystals poking out of grass just looks strange.

4 minutes ago, SudAntares said:

@UomoCapra @SQUAD can I give you an advice? I belive we need a reworked techtree, with at least the basic plane parts from the beginning. It would make sense I belive, because it's not very realistic that you have rockets first, then planes. I use for example Unmanned before manned, and it rearranges the techtree in a way, so planes comes first, so you can check out the nearby biomes with a plane to give your career a small kick in science. So?

Dude.  Kerbal's get rockets before cars.

51 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@UomoCapra @Maxsimal Can you provide any insight into this? Are the new terrain features placed depending on the biome or are they just scattered around at random? Crystals poking out of grass just looks strange.

Without knowing more about what they have planned it's hard to say, but I agree in principle that if some of these are scattered it be nice if they were scattered most commonly within a few biomes per world rather than evenly everywhere, mainly so there was some additional value to landing in particular places over others. As far as a thing looking "out of place" it's a bit of a trade off gameplay-wise, because ideally you'd want to spot them from a distance. In that way they should stand off the ground. Im thinking its maybe more of a modeling question around the base of the object so it looks more integrated where it clips with the landscape?

This is a small quibble to me overall. Love that they have a sciency feel while still fitting with the game. Really excited that we'll have more to do on the surface soon :D

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

As far as a thing looking "out of place" it's a bit of a trade off gameplay-wise, because ideally you'd want to spot them from a distance.

Isn't that why Comnet can spot anomalies?  Honestly, this closes that gameplay loop.  Needing to see them by the naked eye is only necessary from a relatively close distance.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Isn't that why Comnet can spot anomalies?  Honestly, this closes that gameplay loop.  Needing to see them by the naked eye is only necessary from a relatively close distance.

Probably that's true? and 100% agreed on being able to map them from orbit*. It's hard to say without knowing how this is handled and how easy it will be to land close and scout around with a rover (or spider mech, as the case may be).

..And were getting hinges and rotors and things??? The What Did You Do in KSP Today thread is about to get WEIRD.

* Edit: I actually hope they make it a whole lot easier to map things from orbit than Comnet currently does. One worry could be that things would get even more clicky with all this stuff, but that could be hugely alleviated if there was a setting to automatically flag anomalies within sensor range.  

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

In Astroneer you can cut a PLANET in HALF with the terrain deformation tool.

And really all I'd like in KSP is a way to flatten (to a certain altitude above/below sea level around the center of the planet) an area to make a base.

And then base building tools so I can land raw materials there and turn them into a "mining module" or a "habitation module" or a "construction module" or a landing pad or a... and all these modules would be one-piece so the entire base is no more than a dozen or so parts, one per module.

It seems you want to fix ground, not break it :)

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Does Deployed Science work in orbit too? Specifically, the coding behind the experiments? If so, that would bring an interesting dimension to space stations as well.

i hope that all parts are also usable in space... i smell a canadarm on the stations. that would be AWESOME

iss031e070790.jpg

Edited by KingPhantom

6 hours ago, cfds said:

Because the robotic parts are not really what I would consider a core feature.

I meant "Why do you think the new science feature is a core part?"

4 hours ago, CyborgBarry said:

As excited as I am for this I'm a little disappointed by the seemingly arbitrary date you guys use for making this expansion free. It's not like it's a small price. I bought the game in May, 2013 and I frankly feel cheated. I was on board pretty early from my perspective. There wasn't even an update in April 2013 to justify the cut off. Please explain the date choice? 

See explanation of what happened:

13 hours ago, razark said:

The people who bought it before a certain time get it for free, not because they were early supporters, but because Squad had a poorly worded user agreement at the time, well before any DLC was even being considered.  Squad could easily have told them "No, that's obviously not what we meant, pay up.", but they didn't.  It wasn't pampering, it was a company being more generous than they had any reason to.

12 hours ago, razark said:

It was along the lines of "Purchasers will get all updates to KSP for free.", meaning updates to the base game.  A large number of people made a fuss that they thought it meant all upgrades, including any future DLC.  Squad's response was to basically say "Ok, we're sorry it was misread, and we will honor it for anyone who purchases it by the end of the next month."

User revolt over ambiguous statement, Squad was nice and placated the mob by giving in.