Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

Damn I am so glad I did not invest in that game. 

13 minutes ago, klesh said:

The sense of free update entitlement some feel probably wasn't helped by the fact that after Squad announced the game complete, they spent 3 years further "completing" it for free.  That's quite a precedent to have set and for some players who've only been playing for 3 years, that's all they know of how this developer operates.  The game that keeps on giving.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just offering a possibility of some people's thinking.

Had everything after 1.0 been a paid DLC, we'd be in City Skylines territory with a $30 game and $150 of DLC available.  Perhaps thats what some anti-DLC people are fearing KSP becoming.  I dunno, just spitballing.

Uwc67LP.png

I bought all the DLC back when they have a sale for $1 a piece. I think $5 for the big ones.

18 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Damn I am so glad I did not invest in that game. 

Like ksp, the base game is pretty solid. You can easily play it for hundreds of hours and then pick and choose a couple DLCs bases on what you enjoy. I personally got the transportation one because that's my favorite part, and skipped the rest.

Edited by 5thHorseman

8 hours ago, Phoenix84 said:

Am I the only one that starts a new save for each new major version?

Maybe I'm used to the early access days

No, i recently decided to stop doing that as got fed up with not actually doing anything new.

Just now, pandaman said:

No, i recently decided to stop doing that as got fed up with not actually doing anything new.

Yeah, that's why I never get past Duna. I always start over and never make it far, even though I spend hundreds of hours playing. :D

I think it mostly spawned from when I used a lot more parts mods, and the mods were never updated by the time I wanted to play, so I'd lose crafts.

5 minutes ago, pandaman said:

3 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

Yeah, that's why I never get past Duna.

I really need to learn to stop restarting, and maybe I'll actually make it to Duna.

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

However it shouldn't be that new features and parts are only for the DLC, only some new parts.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? You can't have a DLC without new features or parts because it would be rubbish and no one would buy it, and if you only put in parts that no one really wanted nobody would buy it either.

Just wondering that, as weather science experiments are becoming a thing (in DLC), are we then getting some weather that will affect launches and flying planes?

And if we are getting weather, are we getting stock clouds on planets (which have atmosphere)?

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Like ksp, the base game is pretty solid. You can easily play it for hundreds of hours and then pick and choose a couple DLCs bases on what you enjoy. I personally got the transportation one because that's my favorite part, and skipped the rest.

If i have a game i love and enjoy for thousand hours, i am gonna buy every single gameplay DLC.

Yes i will be patient and wait for discounts(Cause money is rough).

But i will never be on ease knowing that i am not enjoying the ''whole'' game.

I am always hoping that some of the money find their way to the developers and help in keeping their jobs and making more content-games.

Edited by Boyster

Yes. Let me have it. I want it! Reasons are all mentioned in this thread. I am still in the mid-game stage of my first career but I can see that once the tech tree is fully unlocked it will become somewhat repetitive. Going back to planets/bodies I already visited with new deployable science experiments, new robotic vehicles and new surface features sounds good fun and will most certainly glue me to the game for another high 3-digit number of hours. 

Yes. I will happily pay 15 units of currency (EUR, pounds, dollars) for it. Reasons have also been mentioned before. Game development costs money, both for stock DLC and free upgrades. I don't get why so many demand to get these additions for free. Granted, I am a very old dinosaur and surely settled in my budgetal situation. But what really matters is the "fun-for-money" relationship. As someone posted, at the price of about 60-70 credits (EUR, pounds, dollars for base game, MH and BG) we get hundreds and thousand of hours of fun. Not bad when I look at the hundreds of games for various platforms piled in large boxes in my basement, of which many have not given me 20 hours of fun.

And yes, I want these upgrades and additions directly from the developer, producer and publisher. I will keep my KSP career bone stock because that's just how I am. I don't like mods for reasons others have also mentioned here. This should not be understood as being disrespectful to all the creativity and quality the modders deliver. I just don't like fiddling with systems anymore, which may very well be a matter of age. :)

Live and let live. I am excited about the new DLC and can't wait to get it. 

So new DLC - "Breaking ground" without without anything new about surface exploration? like turning rubber colorfull ballon into actual surface? Eh ... i love the game .. but i realy miss planet exploration. ... and about DLC ? well almost everything i saw in mods so far ... shame to call it DLC, while they integrated so many mods into game already.. I will buy it, even i dont like it ... and hope for better planet surface in future...

For the people saying this is just an expansion, that’s wrong. This is more than an expansion. It’s changing multiple features in the base game. Having more science and parts and things to do on the surface is one thing. Adding inventories and overhauling surface features entirely is a completely different problem. They’re changing base features. Dlc is new content, not editing existing gameplay. It’s like a game has a story but then releases dlc that has some new story elements, but also edits all of the existing story, as well as changing every map in the game to be better. That’s absurd. Also get that trash about how we shouldn’t expect free updates out of here. Free pc updates once you buy the game has been standard for years on pc games.

Edited by ShadowGoat

1 minute ago, ShadowGoat said:

For the people saying this is just an expansion, that’s wrong. This is more than an expansion. It’s changing multiple features in the base game.

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

3 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Also get that trash about how we shouldn’t expect free updates out of here. Free pc updates once you buy the game has been standard for years.

What a sad, sad world this has become.

15 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Will this DLC change the game's version? Or it will continue being a 1.7.0 game?

I am wondering the same thing.

When the first DLC was released in March of 2018, they released 1.4.1 at the same time.

So maybe we are looking at 1.7.1 soon. I dont know, hard to say.

3 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

@SQUAD may release 1.8 for the DLC

Edited by Dafni

@klgraham1013 don’t get me wrong I’m fine with dlc I just don’t like when they overhaul and change features then sell it as dlc so that the game with dlc operates pretty differently when compared to the normal game. Also I’m not wrong with the free updates. Saying it’s a sad sad world doesn’t make it any less true.

Edited by ShadowGoat

4 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Also get that trash about how we shouldn’t expect free updates out of here. Free pc updates once you buy the game has been standard for years on pc games.

Free updates that fix bugs has certainly been standard. Adding new content has never been the standard, despite how much you might try to convince yourself otherwise.

Smash ultimate, assassins creed odyssey, call of duty, destiny 2 (which had dlc issues but that’s besides the point), Diablo 3, dishonored 2, the division, dota 2, Elder scrolls online, final fantasy 15, Minecraft, etc. it’s not uncommon to get free updates. And again, there’s a difference between adding content and changing existing features. You guys keep ignoring that point.

Edited by ShadowGoat

9 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Smash ultimate, assassins creed odyssey, call of duty, destiny 2 (which had dlc issues but that’s besides the point), Diablo 3, dishonored 2, the division, dota 2, Elder scrolls online, final fantasy 15, Minecraft, etc. it’s not uncommon to get free updates. And again, there’s a difference between adding content and changing existing features. You guys keep ignoring that point.

Not uncommon, but that wasn’t what you said. You said the “standard”, which is an outright fabrication. 

Anyway back to the point as you wish, there is nothing in the new DLC that is changing existing features.  There are no placeable surface experiments in the base game, there are no robotic components in the base game.

Just because you want to stretch the definition of the “features” into something that can literally fit anything into it does not make it a valid arguement.

22 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

it’s not uncommon to get free updates.

True for games which either require subscriptions, or have microtransactions, or embedded advertising or other linked services, or in a few very very unique cases, where the developers made a significant profit off the original sale and continued to improve the game post-release "for free". But money has to come from somewhere.

EDIT: Ps, I'm assuming you weren't just talking about bug-fixes here but actual full-on new features.  Bug fix updates yes, are pretty much standard these days, and deplorable; they shouldn't be needed in the first place, but everybody has become so accustomed to getting buggy software and having to wait a few release cycles until it's stable that that is the norm now.

And again, there’s a difference between adding content and changing existing features. You guys keep ignoring that point.

Squad has already said that some of the changes will be in the base game as well. There just might not be much to do with them without the DLC or mods (assuming modders will be able to use the new functionality without the DLC). We'll just have to wait and see exactly what's what once it's released, no point quibbling about details while we don't have any.

Edited by micha

I fully expect the base game to include the code required to support the new DLC, with the DLC only including the asset files to show off the new features. If you look at Making History. There is no code under MH, but the MH parts were the first that made wide use of part variants that have been included in almost every part refresh since then for free. In another year I'd expect there to more free "stock" parts that make use of the new features.

Its funny the exact opposite argument is going on in the Grand Discussion thread—that they haven’t added anything novel to the base game that necessitates a DLC. Poor Squad just can’t win for losing on this one. 

@ShadowGoat I think the truth is we don’t yet know how much things will change with Breaking Ground. It may be that they’ve just added a few new experiments and objects to perform them on. Or it may be that adding those features requires deeper changes to the science system so everything stays balanced and easily manageable. I personally hope it’s the latter because it would result in a better game. Either way the whole point is to be significantly additive to the game in a way that players feel like its worth a little extra—not just a few new parts or skins or things easily replaced seamlessly for free by mods. 

In the end we’ll just have to wait and see and make up our own minds. TBH I saw surface features and robotics and new science mechanics for 15$ and I was sold.

Edited by Pthigrivi

This game is getting free updates, and no, this is not for granted or standard practice. If this were Paradox instead of Take 2 we'd have KSP 3 by now, with no updates and 20 DLC for each title.

15 bucks is perfectly fine, no one is forcing anyone to buy.