Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

On 5/6/2019 at 3:20 PM, Sebastiaz said:

Hope we get stock clouds and a maybe a stock scatterer at some point, crystals sort of awkwardly poking out of the ground just looks soortaa weird.

They could try experimenting with proper caves and try to have crystals do their things in there, maybe that would be a bit less awkward. Other than that, I can't wait to experiment with these new parts. Will it be possible to build a proper docking arm, or is that not possible?

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

or replace it

that would be much, much harder i would think, they would probably port a lot of code from c#; at that point it might be a better idea to make a new game rather than spend hours translating buggy code.

22 minutes ago, Vexillar said:

It's been mentioned briefly, but I see a lot of cameras in the promo pictures - on the new helmets, on an experiment, on a robot arm... must be significant?

The lead artist likes cameras as much as Final Fantasy likes zippers.

19 minutes ago, lapis said:

that would be much, much harder i would think, they would probably port a lot of code from c#; at that point it might be a better idea to make a new game rather than spend hours translating buggy code.

True. The better option would be to bypass Unitys broken input stack altogether and use SDL directly, as AFBW and Advanced Input do. It's not a particularly difficult problem, and example code is readily available.

What really grinds my gears here is the total lack of action on SQUADs part, as well as the weasel-speak and deflection used in defending that inaction.
If the response on the bugtracker is to be believed, the existence of those mods excuses SQUAD from doing anything at all, and if SQUAD did fix it themselves it would likely take longer than waiting for Unity...
Yet here we are 406 days later, and still nothing has been done. Oh, and of course the whole problem is the fault of Unity and "the open source community", no way does SQUAD have anything to do with it.

Shall we ask nlite how long it took one person to write AFBW, part time?

Allowing volunteer modders to extend your game is awesome, relying on them to fix your screwups and justify inaction on regressions is utterly pathetic.

I don't think I've come across quite as many bugs as you, @steve_v. Not saying you're wrong, maybe just unlucky or using more mods than I do. I don't have quite as many reasons to be mad at the developers. You sound pretty surly about it though.

I do have to agree with you on the joysticks. KSP recognizes my stick and throttle axes separately, thankfully, but conflates my throttle's buttons with my stick's buttons :/

8 minutes ago, Xavven said:

I don't think I've come across quite as many bugs as you, @steve_v.

I've been here a little longer, and I run an operating system that gets the bottom of the barrel scrapings when it comes to developer attention. Like the constant crashes that we waited for Unity to fix. Or audio-related crashes that we waited for Unity to fix. Or the hex-editing of the binary we had to do. Or the crashing people's desktops that we waited for Unity to fix...
Those fixes didn't take over a year though, IIRC, and my sodium content increases over time. 406 days is a lot of salt.

10 minutes ago, Xavven said:

maybe just unlucky or using more mods than I do.

I don't generally complain at SQUAD over mod-induced bugs, and I certainly don't post them to the bugtracker.

11 minutes ago, Xavven said:

KSP recognizes my stick and throttle axes separately, thankfully, but conflates my throttle's buttons with my stick's buttons

Lucky you, joysticks don't work at all for me, and I haven't heard from anyone running GNU/Linux for which they do.

5 hours ago, jost said:

Acutally this won't gonna happen. The dependency to KAC always had it's problems, aka calling the kraken. There is now a bug which disallows connecting the parts with the link cable. 
Since the mod developers don't want to do more work on the mod they deprecreated it and wish that nobody adopts it: 

So actually SurfaceExperimentPack already doesn't work like expected. I expect that this trend will continue until some newer update of KSP or KAC will make it not working any moore. 

Funny, I've been using it in my 1.7.0 game and it seems to work fine. But if support stopped, I am sure there is something not quite working well anymore which I haven't noticed, and it will stop working increasingly. Too bad. As for infernal robotics, it too was discontinuated and has not been updated for several versions now, but it works fine too, as far as I can see.

Anyways tks for correcting this info. My broader point remains the same though. Squad does a good job improving the game in the broader sense of the word, but if 'making history' taught me something, is that the modding community has more time and man-hours to put into the game than the developer, resulting in better options of parts and whatnot. Making History  added some soviet-a-like parts. They do not fare very well when compared to, for instance, the Tantares mod. But this is just my opinion. 

Loving the look of this. I do have one request...

Can we have airship parts soon? As of now, I've been waiting about 7 years for them.

Love the game, love the work... I am STARVING for this missing feature.

8 minutes ago, JMBuilder said:

Loving the look of this. I do have one request...

Can we have airship parts soon? As of now, I've been waiting about 7 years for them.

Love the game, love the work... I am STARVING for this missing feature.

With the robotics components you can make giant propellers and make an airship.

Or are you meaning something in particular? Whatever it is still has to obey the laws of physics. 

8 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Or are you meaning something in particular? Whatever it is still has to obey the laws of physics. 

I'm talking hydrogen balloons and stuff like that. Think floating Jool bases or steampunk carriers.

17 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Yes, but something to help with buoyancy would be exceedingly useful for Eve, where the gravity is so high that the energy requirements to keep a helicopter or prop plane in the air might prohibit prolonged flight.

Did we forget about Kerbal Attachment System in Stock? I'd prioritize that over beauty or balloons any day of the week. I play on console so mods are a no go, but the idea of being able to attach to things together via a pipe, rope, or strut really needs to be stock as soon as possible. Especially since docking on the ground is so garbage :(

Maybe adding extra solar panels, and such will also be a stock thing. Maybe fixing all parts when they got broken will be a thing. Perhaps not in this DLC, but in some subsequent one.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:23 AM, sh1pman said:

What's the point? It's already done by modders. I'd rather they spent time and resources on something that we can't get with mods.

I play on xbox and can't get mods, also you could have had the entire making history expansion with the right mods, lot's of people bought and enjoyed that

On 5/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, Fr8monkey said:

Not to be that guy; but all those things you can get in mods for nothing.  I love the game and support it; but $15 for a mod pack that I already have everythng in it loaded in my game?

What could they possibly give us that can't be added, in someway, by modders? Same goes for any game that can be modded... from KSP to Skyrim.

Personally, I can't stand using any mod that adds parts anyway (apart from ScanSat), so I'm more than happy to see this.

28 minutes ago, MR L A said:

What could they possibly give us that can't be added, in someway, by modders?

A mission builder that ties into Career Mode?

Ah, but one can dream...

What’s up with Val’s backpack in the Eve photo? It looks like it’s got a white attachment on it. Or do they always look like that? I don’t have a computer near me to check. If it’s something...

called it here first!

12 minutes ago, Ahres said:

What’s up with Val’s backpack in the Eve photo? It looks like it’s got a white attachment on it. Or do they always look like that? I don’t have a computer near me to check. If it’s something...

called it here first!

You mean her parachute?

1 minute ago, Ahres said:

The parachutes are brown aren’t they? This is white. 

Look at the pic above it.  That one has white on the edges, which would be all that's visible in the Eve pic.  My guess would be that they're changing the look.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Look at the pic above it.  That one has white on the edges, which would be all that's visible in the Eve pic.  My guess would be that they're changing the look.

Looking at that picture you’re talking about, it looks like the parachute is in the same place as something else that we haven’t seen before. The green that’s visible is not part of the parachute, it’s part of something else. Interest has been piqued. 

3 hours ago, Ahres said:

Looking at that picture you’re talking about, it looks like the parachute is in the same place as something else that we haven’t seen before. The green that’s visible is not part of the parachute, it’s part of something else. Interest has been piqued. 

Well the new deployable experiments have to be stored somewhere. 

Just noticed that on Eve picture there is wiring between the solar panel aparratus and the one behind it! And it does not seem to be a single item. If that is the level of visuals in connecting items on surface, I am really really impressed.

15 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

A mission builder that ties into Career Mode?

Ah, but one can dream...

sounds like a top selling piece of DLC that does... /s

Also sounds like it would be criticised for being a paid-for version of the community challenges we already have.

Also sounds like it would be criticised for being something that not too many people actually want.

ALSO, are we actually sure modders can't do this on some level anyway?