Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

we require more minerals! does this mean we also get to construct additional pylons?

oooh and i get it for free too. ksp may very well have been the best game purchases i made in the last decade.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, 5thHorseman said:

It was not arbitrary, except that back in that month they announced that if you bought it then expansions would be free.

If they extended it now, years later, for you, why not extend it to June for me? Then July, August, etc?

Or how would you feel if you bought it early before KSP was famous and then others who did not take the chance got what you were promised was a reward for your generosity and trust?

No need to be hostile to me. I was not aware of the announcement you reference. 

I do feel like I purchased it before it was popular and I did take a chance as you put it. I did a lot to promote the game in my circles early on and I do feel like I'm missing out on a reward that others in my situation have received. Just because they paid the same price a few days earlier.

I understand they need to make money. But picking a date such as leaving early access would have made more sense to me. From my perspective it had looked like they simply picked a random date. Forgive me for been a little sour about it, it doesn't feel fair.

6 minutes ago, CyborgBarry said:

No need to be hostile to me. I was not aware of the announcement you reference. 

I do feel like I purchased it before it was popular and I did take a chance as you put it. I did a lot to promote the game in my circles early on and I do feel like I'm missing out on a reward that others in my situation have received. Just because they paid the same price a few days earlier.

I understand they need to make money. But picking a date such as leaving early access would have made more sense to me. From my perspective it had looked like they simply picked a random date. Forgive me for been a little sour about it, it doesn't feel fair.

Life isn’t fair. 

14 minutes ago, CyborgBarry said:

I do feel like I'm missing out on a reward that others in my situation have received.

It's not a reward.  It's Squad dealing with an poorly worded agreement they had made in a more generous way than they had to.

It's not because people took a chance.  It's not because they were early players.  It's not something that was given as a bonus.  It was Squad closing a perceived loophole.  The date was chosen because that's when it became an issue and people started asking about it.

14 minutes ago, CyborgBarry said:

Forgive me for been a little sour about it, it doesn't feel fair.

I too purchased the game just after the "free DLC" cutoff. I'm not sour about it though, the line had to be drawn somewhere and the devs do need to eat. Now we get to show continued support by buying stuff if we like it.
Promising free DLC forever to anyone was a mistake, IMO, and moaning about not being one of the promisees doesn't really achieve anything at this point.

4 minutes ago, CyborgBarry said:

I understand your feelings, but the date was not 'random', it was after a 'confusion over wording' came to light and Squad felt the need to change it to clarify what they actually meant.  But they also decided to honour the initial interpretation (of free updates and DLC) for existing purchasers and also gave a few weeks notice of the coming change so that those considering purchasing had a chance to buy before the change took effect.

41 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Well, It seems like it was so long ago...

Doesn't it? I still vaguely remember those quiet, almost innocent days of old, way back before they announced stock hinges and robotics parts...

Just now, swjr-swis said:

Because 15 more days to wait for the DLC...

Okay true

56 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Well, It seems like it was so long ago...

Nah it really hasn't

On 5/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, Sebastiaz said:

Hope we get stock clouds and a maybe a stock scatterer at some point, crystals sort of awkwardly poking out of the ground just looks soortaa weird.

I hope not, function before bling any day of the week.

11 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

function before bling any day of the week.

Of course. They aren't mutually-exclusive qualities though, and now that we have nice looking parts and terrain scatter it's starting to make the remaining low-fi elements look properly dated.

Clouds would add tremendously to the visual appeal of the game, and so would some better environment textures, updated shaders, and tasteful post-processing. The (somewhat sad) fact is that it's a game's visual presentation that gets people to bite, long before the gameplay reels them in.

9 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Would be great if planets had surfaces that look like this

The style is a fraction too cartoon for my taste, but it would be a phenomenal improvement over what we have now. High-poly terrain and surface reflections? Hell yes.

Edited by steve_v

On 5/7/2019 at 12:20 AM, DocMike said:

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Totally!!  Sadly I missed out on the April deadline by a month - but hey, a game that keeps me entertained for literally years, the Dev's deserve my hard earned cash.

Now if they just inbuilt universe scaling (aka RSS).....

Weather would also be nice.

Perhaps then I wouldn't need to run an earlier version to get RO.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, Lisias said:

Not exactly. IR will be somewhat less popular, but the source is available and new tricks can be derived from it - and now that there's a canonical implementation, there's no need to worry about not breaking legacy.

I wonder if a kind of "Infernal Robotics Light" would be possible, allowing savegames using the Classic Infernal Robotics to be used with the DLC instead of the IR guts. Otherwise, I see a long way to go until IR became really unneeded.

We'll have to see what further details they show. In principle the IR style parts could be ported over to the DLC but I question whether the necessary feature support will be there. A lot of things have been added under the hood of IR because I have specifically requested them over the years. This is where them reaching out to the makers of IR (even if some of us have been lurkers for the past while) would have been beneficial but oh well.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:31 PM, SeucheAnemone56 said:

Hopefully there are more than only the two shown robotic parts. Not sure if that DLC will beat Infernal Robotics.

I've counted 5 so far, Rotor, Joint + Piston for large truss, and Joint + Hinge  for small truss. Still would like to see double that though, and not just size variants.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Thought I saw a large truss hinge, but was mistaken, so removed from count.

25 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

I've counted 5 so far, Rotor, Joint + Hinge + Piston for large truss, and Joint + Hinge  for small truss. Still would like to see double that though, and not just size variants. 

Seems about right. From the PC Gamer article on Breaking Ground:

Your rover's arms aren't the only fancy bit of robotic kit that you'll be able to take advantage of. Robotic hinges, pistons, rotors and rotational servos can be stuck onto spaceships, each of them with simulated physics affected things like force, torque and power consumption. These components and other parts of your ship can also be controlled via the new robotic controller system, which lets you coordinate their behaviour.

20 hours ago, CyborgBarry said:

Forgive me for been a little sour about it, it doesn't feel fair.

Sure, I get it... On the plus side, if you feel it's unfair to pay $/€ 15 for an expansion of a game you can afford to play, you've got a pretty good life altogether.

21 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

Seems about right. From the PC Gamer article on Breaking Ground:

Your rover's arms aren't the only fancy bit of robotic kit that you'll be able to take advantage of. Robotic hinges, pistons, rotors and rotational servos can be stuck onto spaceships, each of them with simulated physics affected things like force, torque and power consumption. These components and other parts of your ship can also be controlled via the new robotic controller system, which lets you coordinate their behaviour.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that article. Eager to see the robotic controller they mention. Sad that the robot arms they talk about though sound like-all-in-one parts that play a deploy animation rather than be user controllable (unless the controller is a combination of both IR and Kerbal Konstruction style).

21 hours ago, CyborgBarry said:

21 hours ago, pandaman said:

I understand your feelings, but the date was not 'random', it was after a 'confusion over wording' came to light and Squad felt the need to change it to clarify what they actually meant.  But they also decided to honour the initial interpretation (of free updates and DLC) for existing purchasers and also gave a few weeks notice of the coming change so that those considering purchasing had a chance to buy before the change took effect.

I have a feeling like I would have been in Cyborg Barry's camp when I was unemployed, but now I have disposable income, and 15 bucks isn't much to me, and I'm more than willing to pay it.

Its not like squad can look at your income taxes and do income adjusted pricing (though they do vary their pricing on country)

57 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

I've counted 5 so far, Rotor, Joint + Hinge + Piston for large truss, and Joint + Hinge  for small truss. Still would like to see double that though, and not just size variants.

What is the difference between a joint and a hinge? So far I've seen a rotor (quad copter), a big piston (Scorpion), and some sort of movable joint/hinge (also the scorpion, and the spider), and some sort of smaller moveable joint/hinge (the rover-crane)

To me, that is 4. Also what you list is 6 if counted separately 1) Rotor (2) Joint for large truss (3) hinge for large truss (4) Piston for large truss (5)  joint for small truss (6) hinge for small truss.

As I don't see any distinction between joint and hinge, I see 4 new ones.

What I hope for:

1-2) at least 2 sizes of joint/hinge

3-4) at least 2 sizes of piston/extendable arm

4-5) at least 2 sizes of 1 ended rotor: one node spins, the other doesn't)

6-7) at least 2 sizes of 2 ended rotor: one node spins one way, the other end spins the opposite direction, cancelling out rotation... or put another way, the part can be placed in the middle of a stack, and the part (and parts surface attached to it) spins, but the rest of the stack doesn't

What I'm most interested to see now is the control scheme