Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

What is the difference between a joint and a hinge? So far I've seen a rotor (quad copter), a big piston (Scorpion), and some sort of movable joint/hinge (also the scorpion, and the spider), and some sort of smaller moveable joint/hinge (the rover-crane)

To me, that is 4. Also what you list is 6 if counted separately 1) Rotor (2) Joint for large truss (3) hinge for large truss (4) Piston for large truss (5)  joint for small truss (6) hinge for small truss.

As I don't see any distinction between joint and hinge, I see 4 new ones.

I can see why you count joints and hinges the same, as fundamentally they do the same thing. However, one goes from -90 to +90 and the other from 0 to +180, and to do that requires differently designed models, hence me counting them separately.

Ah, I put the correct number of 5 but thought one in the scorpion picture was a hinge when it was just another joint, so no (3) hinge for large truss shown yet. I'll edit my post to correct that.

What I hope for:

1-2) at least 2 sizes of joint/hinge

3-4) at least 2 sizes of piston/extendable arm

4-5) at least 2 sizes of 1 ended rotor: one node spins, the other doesn't)

6-7) at least 2 sizes of 2 ended rotor: one node spins one way, the other end spins the opposite direction, cancelling out rotation... or put another way, the part can be placed in the middle of a stack, and the part (and parts surface attached to it) spins, but the rest of the stack doesn't

I would agree with that, and think it would cover what most players would want. Funnily you describe everything that is in IR already, even that 6-7. Admittedly that one is not sized for ships but maybe I'll offer an option if Squad don't.

What I'm most interested to see now is the control scheme

Likewise!

55 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

one goes from -90 to +90 and the other from 0 to +180, and to do that requires differently designed models, hence me counting them separately.

Ummm -90 to +90 is a range of 180 degrees, so both require models with a range of motion of 180 degrees... so I still fail to see the distinction...

49 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Ummm -90 to +90 is a range of 180 degrees, so both require models with a range of motion of 180 degrees... so I still fail to see the distinction...

Yes, and for the purposes of counting how many unique rotation types there are then these are indeed the same. They just cannot be achieved with the same model though, as the rotation axes need to be in different places such as below:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzYuc-_oK8Q34u8l0pabt 

-90 to +90

10-21335-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-door

0 to +180

Not browsing through 29 pages, just my 2 Cents:
We all love (save for the undying killjoys) to play KSP, and are interested in maintenance, bug fixing, and new content, aren't we?
Squad as a business entity needs to earn money, pay salaries, to provide these.
Hence I'm more than happy to pay for this DLC, which will as a benefit also give me some new content :)

Personal simple calculation: I payed around $50 for KSP plus MH, and played say at least 1000 (probably more) hours until now -> 5 Cent per hour of fun.
Now compare that to say watching a 2h flick in the cinema for 20 bucks....

My only wish @SQUAD: prioritize on bug fixing and performance, new content is nice, but doesn't rank 1st, imo.
You have my support anyway, guys, including financial :) 

2 hours ago, lapis said:

Oh god the lag

Suprisingly you can get such textures with normal/bump mapping for super cheap, its just a light trick.  That said, I would want something about the actual stickiness to change as well so we aren't sliding down hills quite so often.

I really hope KSP will recover and keep the game alive. I love KSP and I just wish it would start making more new content instead of revamping the existing parts.

edit: i realized that what I said did not make sense. I corrected my sentence.

Edited by Rover 6428

It'd be amazing if you could get a kerbal to mount a deployable experiment on a rover and have it move around while still being able to record data, but that wouldn't exactly be realistic (even by kerbal standards)

12 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Not browsing through 29 pages, just my 2 Cents:
We all love (save for the undying killjoys) to play KSP, and are interested in maintenance, bug fixing, and new content, aren't we?
Squad as a business entity needs to earn money, pay salaries, to provide these.
Hence I'm more than happy to pay for this DLC, which will as a benefit also give me some new content :)

Personal simple calculation: I payed around $50 for KSP plus MH, and played say at least 1000 (probably more) hours until now -> 5 Cent per hour of fun.

My only wish @SQUAD: prioritize on bug fixing and performance, new content is nice, but doesn't rank 1st, imo.
You have my support anyway, guys, including financial :) 

Yep, absolutely.  I spent about $50AUD and it has give me almost 4000 hrs.  That makes it pretty damn cheap entertainment imo.  

Anyway, I don't think we should ever pay for bug fixes, but extra content....despite missing the deadline by 1 month, I don't mind paying.

10 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

I really hope KSP will recover and keep the game alive. I love KSP and I just wish it would not keep up the new content instead of revamping.

the only way for any game to recover in sales is for it to produce more content and revamp the game to make it different enough to keep it interesting.  I think the Dev's have done that.  There is always more stuff for them to add - e.g.

Inbuilt universe scaling (RSS)

Weather (realistic atmospheres)

Multiplayer

prop aircraft

Life support

and that is before they even start thinking about part design/construction.

KSP has a pretty big fan/player/modding base to keep it ticking over for years to come.  Not bad for a game I first heard about on a kids gaming tv show....(Good Game Spawn Point, ABC, Aust)

53 minutes ago, Semicon said:

Anyway, I don't think we should ever pay for bug fixes

I generally agree, but compare the KSP development budget to say GTA. I think it's unrealistic to expect the KSP developers to be able to spend a great amount of work (which ultimately translates to money) on bug fixing and optimization, like AAA titles (and even those are more often than not pretty buggy). Which a limited budget, and having to keep sales up at a certain level, most effort will go into content, not bug fixing etc. Hence, in this case, I'm willing to pay for maintenance, bug fixing, optimizations.

14 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Could we please stop using this kind of comparison? Or at least be honest about it? If you compare KSP to a movie, you can only count the time you played scenarios created by SQUAD. If you count the time of enjoyment that you created yourself, you have to compare the price of KSP to a set of dice or a deck of cards.

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

I generally agree, but compare the KSP development budget to say GTA. I think it's unrealistic to expect the KSP developers to be able to spend a great amount of work (which ultimately translates to money) on bug fixing and optimization, like AAA titles (and even those are more often than not pretty buggy). Which a limited budget, and having to keep sales up at a certain level, most effort will go into content, not bug fixing etc. Hence, in this case, I'm willing to pay for maintenance, bug fixing, optimizations.

Sounds like a subscription based approach.  While you do make excellent points, maintenance doesn't come free, etc....I think it is the developers job to ensure their product meets expectations or performs as per specification.   Optimisation should be extra, yes - and I feel we are paying for it with expansion packs (well those of us that have to pay).  

All over, you sound like you love the game.  And for that, sir, I salute you.

44 minutes ago, cfds said:

Could we please stop using this kind of comparison? Or at least be honest about it? If you compare KSP to a movie, you can only count the time you played scenarios created by SQUAD. If you count the time of enjoyment that you created yourself, you have to compare the price of KSP to a set of dice or a deck of cards.

Okay. Most board games worth playing cost more than ksp. I've bought dozens of decks of cards in my life and never got one for free even though I'd already paid. When settlers of catan makes an expansion it costs more than ksp and no one ever expects it to be free.

And I've played ksp for more hours than any of them. Including generic ones like playing cards.

However you slice it ksp is the best entertainment deal I've ever paid for. It literally can only be beat by free stuff, and most of that I'd still rather play KSP.

54 minutes ago, cfds said:

Could we please stop using this kind of comparison? 

My words were: Personal simple calculation

Doesn't has to be a valid comparison for you, but for me it is, as in: Personal :)

2 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

My words were: Personal simple calculation

Doesn't has to be a valid comparison for you, but for me it is, as in: Personal :)

Thinking that you, personaly, are fine with paying more for KSP is completely ok. Comparing it to other forms of games (like cards or 5thHorseman's board games) can be valid. Comparing it to movie tickets is pointless.

Hey @cfds, for you, this might be pointless, for me it's not. Different opinions, as simple as that.

I also think your argument 

3 hours ago, cfds said:

If you compare KSP to a movie, you can only count the time you played scenarios created by SQUAD

is invalid, but refrained from a longer elaboration as it looks to me that this would just lead to another long and pointless off-topic discussion which ultimately would lead to nothing but a bad mood.

Again: different opinions, I'm fine with that,  and that's it for me :)

Big kudos to Squad for making planets more interesting and having a reason to stay and plan surface missions.

I was waiting for this a loooong time, it will be a expansion that brings me back to KSP for sure.

Cant wait!

Now for the big question:

Will SQUAD provide a combined DLC package for those that have purchased all (to-date) DLC on the KSP(and possibly GOG) store?

May not be needed yet with only 2 DLC, but more than that might start to get tedious to install one at a time after each new release for those of us not on steam.

Question: will all of the surface science be strictly time related, or will some of them be event related?

Example: the real seismic sensors on the moon don't provide a lot of data on their own, but get loads of data from each impact, especially from well-known impactors like spent stages.

I could see scenarios like: 'now that I have seismic sensors deployed on 3 [distinct biomes| 90 degree separated regions] I need three impactors each in the sub-ton, 1-10 ton, and 10+ ton weight ranges.  One at low speeds (<100m/s) one a mid-speed (100m/s to 2km/s) and one high speed (> 2km/s) to get all available science from this body' being valid and potentially quite challenging.  

(how do you impact Eve at > 2km/s without burning up?  tall/clipped ore stack with lots of stacked heat shields?  With separators at the last minute to split the 500kg, 2 ton, and 20 ton stacks?)