Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

4 hours ago, Terwin said:

Question: will all of the surface science be strictly time related, or will some of them be event related?

I've had a few science-related things going through my head since this DLC was announced. The seismometer one you mentioned actually used to be a mod way way way back, like so far back I don't recall how far but before 1.0.

Looking at craft like Voyager, I think it'd be neat if an instrument needed to be some meters away from any non-structural part in order to function, or perhaps returned less science the closer to the main body of the ship it was. The thermometer seems a good candidate for this. Similarly, maybe gravioli detectors should be gravioli wave interferometers. You'd need 2 on a ship, and they would only work (or work better) if they were something like 20 meters apart but still on the same ship. It'd give you a cool reason in career and science modes to work robotics into your craft.

Edited by 5thHorseman

On 5/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, Rover 6428 said:

I really hope KSP will recover and keep the game alive. I love KSP and I just wish it would start making more new content instead of revamping the existing parts.

First of all, I have no intention of offending anyone or institute dissatisfaction. I will only state my opinion and how i see things. 

I't sad but i must agree with Rover 6428. I have the feeling that KSP has had it's peak and is dying now. Releasing DLC which mainly provide what mod developers already have developed in the past is a sure sign of this. The prior DLC and the new DLC continue on the old KSP path and offer little improvement/enhancement or renewed enthousiasm. Judging the description, there's hardly any reason for excitement. It's just more of the same old, same old.

It was completely different in the past. New anomolies were among the surprises of the new versions. Exploring other worlds (eventually in different systems) would have been a lot more interesting (to name just one new storyline).

2 hours ago, TheCardinal said:

First of all, I have no intention of offending anyone or institute dissatisfaction. I will only state my opinion and how i see things. 

I't sad but i must agree with Rover 6428. I have the feeling that KSP has had it's peak and is dying now. Releasing DLC which mainly provide what mod developers already have developed in the past is a sure sign of this. The prior DLC and the new DLC continue on the old KSP path and offer little improvement/enhancement or renewed enthousiasm. Judging the description, there's hardly any reason for excitement. It's just more of the same old, same old.

It was completely different in the past. New anomolies were among the surprises of the new versions. Exploring other worlds (eventually in different systems) would have been a lot more interesting (to name just one new storyline).

True. But I think that it's just a natural cycle of life. It's very hard to keep a game running for a very long time. I hope that KSP will prosper for ever more, but I am fine with SQUAD finishing it off and moving on, if that's what is the best for them both.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

When will you officially announce version 1.7.1? Or are you really planning to release the DLC with it's robotic parts using the current autostrut algorithms? ... just wondering :) 

The DLC could overwrite those algorithms. The base game doesn't need them after all. Or maybe the stock hinges work with them as-is.

Edited by 5thHorseman

27 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The DLC could overwrite those algorithms. The base game doesn't need them after all. Or maybe the stock hinges work with them as-is.

If I remember correctly JPLRepo already said struts were taken into consideration. 

55 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah but he didn't say if it was being done in the dlc or the base game. :)

Wouldn’t make much sense to leave an improvement like that in just the expansion, so I predict base game. 

13 hours ago, TheCardinal said:

10 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

True. But I think that it's just a natural cycle of life. It's very hard to keep a game running for a very long time. I hope that KSP will prosper for ever more, but I am fine with SQUAD finishing it off and moving on, if that's what is the best for them both.

I don't think so. "Dying' is when the developers stop working on the game for a significant period of time and the community stops playing it. Squad literally released version 1.7 five weeks ago and they have a new DLC being released in two weeks.

Here are play numbers on Steam alone (does not include the direct download KSP store): https://steamcharts.com/app/220200#All

It's had around 5000-6000 max concurrent players quite steadily for the past 6 years and it's held firm. Those two spikes that reached over 10,000 players, one in April 2015 and one in February 2018, correspond to the KSP 1.0 release date and the Making History expansion, respectively. Every game has a spike in player base on major release dates.

Here's a doom and gloom post from 2015

Here's another doom and gloom post from 2016

The number of steam players were about 5600-5800 at the time of those posts. Last month (April 2019) KSP players posted over 6000 (I'm not looking at May yet because we still have two weeks left in the month).

So no, the idea that KSP is dying is not backed up by data at all. More likely you are a bit exhausted by the game and guess that everyone else must feel the same way. It'd be like getting tired of vanilla ice cream and asking, "is vanilla flavored ice cream dying?"

Edited by Xavven

10 hours ago, Xavven said:

I don't think so. "Dying' is when the developers stop working on the game for a significant period of time and the community stops playing it. Squad literally released version 1.7 five weeks ago and they have a new DLC being released in two weeks.

Here are play numbers on Steam alone (does not include the direct download KSP store): https://steamcharts.com/app/220200#All

It's had around 5000-6000 max concurrent players quite steadily for the past 6 years and it's held firm. Those two spikes that reached over 10,000 players, one in April 2015 and one in February 2018, correspond to the KSP 1.0 release date and the Making History expansion, respectively. Every game has a spike in player base on major release dates.

The number of steam players were about 5600-5800 at the time of those posts. Last month (April 2019) KSP players posted over 6000 (I'm not looking at May yet because we still have two weeks left in the month).

So no, the idea that KSP is dying is not backed up by data at all. More likely you are a bit exhausted by the game and guess that everyone else must feel the same way. It'd be like getting tired of vanilla ice cream and asking, "is vanilla flavored ice cream dying?"

We clearly have different opinions about the meaning of "dying":  Your definition of "dying" is my definition of "dead".  The peak number of users on steam you mentioned is hardly a justifiable argument for your opinion. The same applies to the average  number of users on steam (~3000) as well. In fact, they only show that there's no growth what so ever in the usage of KSP on steam in the last six years despite all the developments of KSP etc.. No growth often is a precursor to a decline and finally .... 

3 minutes ago, TheCardinal said:

We clearly have different opinions about the meaning of "dying":  Your definition of "dying" is my definition of "dead".  The peak number of users on steam you mentioned is hardly a justifiable argument for your opinion. The same applies to the average  number of users on steam (~3000) as well. In fact, they only show that there's no growth what so ever in the usage of KSP on steam in the last six years despite all the developments of KSP etc.. No growth often is a precursor to a decline and finally .... 

So steady population = dying? Okay, you're right, we clearly do have different definitions of the word.

I hope the robotic parts have enough power to make something akin to the shredder and crushers that someone once made with Infernal Robotics (I'd use that mod but I couldn't find it up to date enough where I looked), I had a serious laughing fit at all the hilarity going on with such contraptions :P

Edit: found video, Hehehe!

Edited by Dirt The Space Dirt Fox

On 5/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, TheCardinal said:

In fact, they only show that there's no growth what so ever in the usage of KSP on steam in the last six years despite all the developments of KSP etc

Does that mean that you believe that KSP has been dying for the last 6 years? Because, if so, your definition of "dying" is completely worthless, as it says nothing about what will happen in the near future.

Generally "dying" is used to state that something will be dead "soon". If someone claims something has been "dying" for 6 years straight, they are either wrong or not saying anything insightful, depending on how liberal you want to be with the interpretation of the definition.

I'm still amazed that some people think a product ending it's development is a bad thing.  99% of everything you buy has ended it's development.  Far from dead, the end of a products development is typically when it's life actually begins.

Edited by klgraham1013

29 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'm still amazed that some people think a product ending it's development is a bad thing.  99% of everything you buy has ended it's development.  Far from dead, the end of a products development is typically when it's life actually begins.

Not to mention the fact that development of KSP hasn't even ended yet! :)

20 hours ago, Noah the Smol said:

need more p l e r n e r t s

That may be a hard sell, as apparently only a small fraction of players ever land anywhere further than Minmus.