Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in how weak the hinges in general are. Even my idea for having flip-out parachute array arms on landable rocket stages easily end up folding like an umbrella in a severe wind storm, same with trying to make custom landing legs, the hinges are far, far too weak period. Don't get me wrong, I do love this stuff and having fun with lighter duty setups but I must say I was expecting a bit more strength in all this stuff, very wobbly and need more strength to increase potential applications. Still, I know this is new but I hope adding some more robustness to the robotics can be considered in updates.

30 minutes ago, Dirt The Space Dirt Fox said:

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in how weak the hinges in general are. Even my idea for having flip-out parachute array arms on landable rocket stages easily end up folding like an umbrella in a severe wind storm

This may be called “realism” and a reason why one doesn’t see said contraptions in real life.

Is it possibe to mount them on an unpowered hinge and use a hydraulic piston to operate them?

Using tiny servos to unfold large structures works fine in space, but as soon as real torque starts working on a fulcrum you want something with leverage to put/hold it in place.

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

This may be called “realism” and a reason why one doesn’t see said contraptions in real life.

Is it possibe to mount them on an unpowered hinge and use a hydraulic piston to operate them?

Using tiny servos to unfold large structures works fine in space, but as soon as real torque starts working on a fulcrum you want something with leverage to put/hold it in place.

True, understand the realism aspect, but there's also the gameplay consideration too considering this is Kerbal Space Program, because it does offer the potential to allow some impressive designs with inspiration from reality even if not truly accurate for such parts. However I do have much more experimenting to do, like use the higher torque servo's instead of hinges for certain applications and see how that works out even if, I just can't help but wish for, *Mimics tool time host* MORE POWER : P!

But if we got further heavier duty parts down the line with these considerations like hydraulic-based hinges, that would be nice and satisfy me, l hope that does happen, the more the merrier. But until then I have plenty of new things yet to try and am thankful for this DLC. Still so many things are possible now that weren't before.

Edit: hmm, it may turn out in a couple cases I didn't have enough electric charge reserve it would seem, at least in the case of pistons, apparently you can have more energy demand than you may realize and the electric charge bar doesn't reveal the whole story! Back to the drawing board maybe.... Needed to use my bigger nuclear reactors for some contraptions. Pistons definitely have impressive strength, so no complains there on my part now!

Edited by Dirt The Space Dirt Fox
A small eureka

19 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Because they want to talk about it. 

Isn't what the grand discussion page is for? :/ oh well

On 5/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, UomoCapra said:

tlY1lQycBCT-qGDWTrEdqPfSmZo0RsFRuJ3Bym_v

Brand new downloadable content for Kerbal Space Program is on its way! Filled with new content and features, Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion will give new meaning to the Kerbal scientific endeavours.

Breaking Ground is all about exploration, experimentation, and technological breakthroughs. Study the soaring plume of a cryovolcano on Vall, mysterious craters on Moho, and even more new features on all of the other moons and planets of the Solar System. Deploy experiments for the long-term study of Minmus and let them collect data while you explore further sights. Test your creativity with a new suite of robotics parts. Breaking Ground will help you and the Kerbals reach new horizons, all in the name of Science!

These are the most significant features coming to Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion.

Robotic Parts

Brand new robotic will add a whole new level of creativity to your craft. These parts will include some new control mechanics and let you create all sorts of inventive vehicles and crazy contraptions to aid the Kerbals in exploring their Universe!

thNzgxVgkg8jB_HT8j8w07voBGJhPySw29TQ9ZhM

Surface Features

Scattered across the Kerbin System, you’ll find interesting Surface Features, like mineral formations, meteors, craters, and some even more curious planetary features. Study them and collect valuable scientific data with a brand-new Rover Arm!

rOJm4dH7dUHrWKZXX0cgDsyFur3m_Kty9Bv0sqNV

Deployed Science

Bring equipment for experiments with you from Kerbin and deploy them on the surface of a celestial body to take measurements over time. Set up a science station and put your crew to work. From seismometers to weather stations, there are plenty experiments for you to try out!

Oq76nLhVnFABXGQexBTOWvThitS2KCIWTPuCsxc8

New Space Suit

Kerbals are also getting a fresh new space suit to wear for their scientific endeavors! This sleek futuristic suit will make your Kerbals look flashy while they explore the canyons of Duna, the shores of Laythe, or any other exotic destination.

0Vl9q0XK-AxsPQlg4rfGiRdvARSsxTCXkCjG4KWn

Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion will be released on May 30th for PC for $14.99 USD. And yes, we’re keeping our promise that all players who purchased the game through April 2013 will receive the expansion for free. We’ll provide more details on how that will work before launch.

Do you want to learn more about Breaking Ground? Then make sure to stay tuned for our next KSP Loading… where we’ll take a deep dive into the content and features of Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion!

Happy launchings!

P.S.: Click here to see the full High-Res screenshot album.

Do we have to use those new space suits?

21 hours ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Can someone give me tips on where to look for these new surface features? I'm trying to find some to inspect on minmus but so far, nothing.

Look for contracts to find things. The contract will tell you what biomes to look in

I'm tired after trying to make a craft that works with robotic arms

tired.png?w=1316&h=

On 6/3/2019 at 10:17 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

Do we have to use those new space suits?

maar-is-coming-back.png?w=1459&h=577&crop=1

I hope this answers

16 hours ago, Anth12 said:

@RYU AZUKU99 They dont exist in an existing save that was made before the DLC

I started a new game, and eventually found something to scan. Thought that the surface features would be alot easier to find.

15 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Look for contracts to find things. The contract will tell you what biomes to look in

Thanks for the tip

1 hour ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Thanks for the tip

Another tip: the only such contract I’ve taken so far was to pick up a Mun Stone, with the Polar Crater being one of the biomes to find it in. After landing, I zoomed waaay out for an overhead view, until my lander was just a shadow on the surface, at which point I could see another shadow about 300m away. It turned out to be a Mun Stone. Apparently I was lucky as that appeared to be the only one in the area. 

This may depend on your graphics/terrain settings; mine are on the low side. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for a awesome DLC!

Next we need gantrys so we can build cranes. one part moving and two ends. with optional parts in between.

The moving part can move over from the end parts over to the middle parts but stays glued to the other two directions. I - - - - I

Now we can make lifts up to our rockets and make the as high as we need them to be. Maybe also we can build a skycrane XD

Yeah I agree this DLC is pretty cool!
The new DLC has managed to bring me back to KSP from a long hiatus.
As an analog control fan, the way Robotics can be directly controlled in Breaking Ground is exactly how I always wanted it, but missed with the Infernal Robotics mod.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Shadowmage said:

My personal opinions on this newly announced DLC:

Robotics - an excellent subject for a DLC.  It is not something present in the stock game in any form, and opens up entirely new venues for craft construction.  If done properly I think the robotics could be worthy of a DLC all by itself.  I've personally longed for a reliable robotics package for a long time now -- one that does not suffer the caveats that IR is subject to regarding use of docking ports and 'sloppy joints' (e.g. a 'hinge' needs to act solely as a hinge, constraining movement along all axis except its specific free rotation axis, not as a ball joint attached with a spring; unfortunately I know these to all be limitations of Unity, so don't have very high hopes of the stock system working any more 'properly' than does IR).

My only other concern on this is how SQUAD handles the code-side functionality -- will the code (PartModules) be limited to only being available when the expansion is installed, or will the core robotics functionality be available in the stock/core API?   (either is an 'acceptable' and workable answer, though one is certainly more desirable than the other).

Surface Science - Honestly should have been part of the stock career from the beginning.  I appreciate that it wasn't part of the stock career mode at 'release', and so they are free to issue it through a DLC, but really feel that it should have been included in the stock game.  Lack of something to 'do' on planets has been what I feel to be one of the largest 'incomplete' areas of the stock career gameplay.

Deployable Science - As with the surface science, I think this one should have been part of career mode from the start and not part of an optional expansion pack.

New Space Suit - Okay, sure.  Not personally a fan of the look, but at least it isn't being packaged as its own micro-DLC.

Cost - About right for what they are offering, esp. when compared to what you get for the same value from other games DLCs.  One new major feature (robotics), two expanded science options for science/career modes, and one 'freebie' spacesuit model.  I probably wasted more $ in gas warming up my car in the morning in the past month, not to mention my weekly coffee bill....

Overall - When I read the name I thought 'gee, finally some parts for surface bases!'.  Sadly, I was disappointed on that, though I can't really express any disappointment towards what was actually announced as part of the expansion.

Well, the robotics do make for MUCH better large landing gear.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, Shadowmage said:

Robotics - ...  I've personally longed for a reliable robotics package for a long time now -- one that does not suffer the caveats that IR is subject to regarding use of docking ports and 'sloppy joints' (e.g. a 'hinge' needs to act solely as a hinge, constraining movement along all axis except its specific free rotation axis, not as a ball joint attached with a spring; unfortunately I know these to all be limitations of Unity, so don't have very high hopes of the stock system working any more 'properly' than does IR).

A bit off topic, I know, but I still wanted to answer this one. Because IR is no longer the buggy IR it was...

Infernal Robotics Next does solve all those problems you mentioned. The code for joints and movements has been written new, from scratch. It is now moving or rotating only along the x-axis. The rest is as fix as default joints in KSP. And the implementation we use today is even more stable (no gaps forming and unwanted movements) than the dlc robotics (as far as can see from experiments). We also have a solution to all the docking port problems. And in the next release you will see new parts with new grapplers for precise construction in space.