UomoCapra

Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

Oh that's sad. SEP is an awesome mod, and I've been wanting to try it for a while now. I just don't have a naming scheme for SEP 'bases' that's why I haven't tried it yet. If it turns out that you can add new deployable experiments using the DLC, would you reconsider adopting SEP to the new system? Or have you really closed the doors for SEP?

The SEP assets are really old, but I would consider remaking some of the real-life ALSEP stuff that doesn't seem to be covered by this DLC - the gravimeter and magnetometer, for example.

Actually, so, on that note, since I have a small level of interest in doing that... for the sake of consistency, @SQUAD / @UomoCapra, what is the deal with remixing textures / models from the DLC parts? Some features, like the little monitoring console and the feet, are very consistent between all those surface parts. If the mod is already dependent on the user owning the DLC, is remixing DLC assets allowed?

3 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

You said 'deployable.' How are the experiments deployable? Are they movable with a Kerbal, or do we have to have a rover that goes around and drops them off?

Echoing this question too - is there a stock implementation of KIS? It doesn't sound like KAS features are covered since they aren't mentioned in the announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

You said 'deployable.' How are the experiments deployable? Are they movable/placeable with a Kerbal, or do we have to have a rover that goes around and drops them off with decouplers?

You'll have to take them with you from the KSC, as cargo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UomoCapra said:

 You'll have to take them with you from the KSC, as cargo. 

Yes, but how are they placed on the ground? Can a Kerbal pick them up and move them around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UomoCapra said:

You'll have to take them with you from the KSC, as cargo. 

Soooo... are they like the little flag you always carry around you or like the science experiments in the trunk of the Dragon spacecraft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, but how are they placed on the ground? Can a Kerbal pick them up and move them around?

Probably like planting a flag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Probably like planting a flag.

I hope so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The SEP assets are really old, but I would consider remaking some of the real-life ALSEP stuff that doesn't seem to be covered by this DLC - the gravimeter and magnetometer, for example.

That's good to hear. I guess I'll just wait. For now, once I've come up with a naming scheme, I'm still planning on installing SEP on my save and deal with the issues on my own (via quicksaves or cheats or some headcanon about the Kraken). I always attribute bugs to the Kraken in my headcanon so I can deal with that.

3 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

You'll have to take them with you from the KSC, as cargo. 

Can we clarify this? What I'm thinking right now is that the deployable experiments are ever present on a payload bay or something, and we use the rover with the arms to 'detach' them from the payload bay and 'deploy' them on the ground. Is this how it works?

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Probably like planting a flag.

Or would the Kerbal be able to 'grab' it and 'deploy' it just like planting a flag?

Cheers~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dat quadcopter tho! Very cool!

S875JDY.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sh1pman said:

Dat quadcopter tho! Very cool!

S875JDY.png

the age of bearings and stock props are over! finally!!! we have real controllable props

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting! 

Please put this DLC through more QA than your last one.  It was really rife with bugs, some of which are still around more than a year later.

Is that new suit orange because it has one of the Big Four in it or will non-orange-IVA-suit-kerbals now wear orange suits on EVA?

These photos and art feature the RoveMax M1-F wheels from Making History.  Is that because they're the newest wheels and you want snazzy graphics for advertising or will they somehow be included in this DLC too?

Will these surface features have colliders?

Whats they doohickey on the side of the "Mk3" space suit helmet?

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the Tron-like lights on the new suit. Why would a space suit have that?

 

Looking forward to more information about this DLC in the coming weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

SEP is a mod that requires KIS/KAS and it makes perfect sense for it to be so.

If I had it to do over again I would eliminate the need for KAS in SEP (not KIS though). Either make all of the stations simply be placed within some proximity of the central station and power, or make some "faked" cosmetic connections between each station, rather than actually linking the vessels with KAS. I'm fairly certain that the linking of so many parts that are all anchored to the surface is what causes so many headaches for SEP.

Removing that dependency would simplify the mod and get rid of a major source of errors. But that's all a lot of trouble to go back and fix, and now sort of irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To answer a few questions that have been popping up here:

1. Yes, you'll be able to make mods to add more robotics parts with the core functionality that's being released with the DLC - but anyone who wants to use those parts will need the DLC of course.

2. There are different sizes & shapes of the robotics parts.

3. Mods will be able to add experiments for the surface experiments.

4. To deploy experiments, you'll have a Kerbal grab them from a storage container, carry them in their own inventory, and put them on the ground - the type & experience level of the Kerbal will affect the performance of some of these parts.  Read into that what you will.

5.  I hope you'll be pleased with what we're going to deliver for the robotics control mechanisms.  We've got several features, that are still not revealed and I'm not sure how much I can say about them, that will help you control regular & robotic craft in ways that make the feature even more than it already sounds like.

Edited by Maxsimal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maxsimal said:

in their own inventory

interesting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maxsimal said:

Read into that what you will.

So... you mean read all sorts of wild implications regarding inventories, storage, "put them on the ground", etc... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

4. To deploy experiments, you'll have a Kerbal grab them from a storage container, carry them in their own inventory, and put them on the ground - the type & experience level of the Kerbal will affect the performance of some of these parts.  Read into that what you will.

So, it's a watered-down, stock KIS? Are the experiments the only things the Kerbals will be able to carry in their inventories, or will it be possible to pick up and carry any part?

I'm sorry...I'm so excited and full of questions about this :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Probably like planting a flag.

Better than placing a flag :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Maxsimal said:

Better than placing a flag :P

 

My guess is some ghost-like preview of where the part will be placed, controlled by the mouse, prior to final deployment.  No need to confirm or deny. I'm sure its NDA at present.

Edited by klesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

To answer a few questions that have been popping up here:
3. Mods will be able to add experiments for the surface experiments.
4. To deploy experiments, you'll have a Kerbal grab them from a storage container, carry them in their own inventory, and put them on the ground - the type & experience level of the Kerbal will affect the performance of some of these parts.  Read into that what you will.

Thank you for the explanation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

3. Mods will be able to add experiments for the surface experiments.

Awesome! If someone from Squad can comment on this at some point, even if it's via PM with me, I'd appreciate that. :)

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Actually, so, on that note, since I have a small level of interest in doing that... for the sake of consistency, @SQUAD / @UomoCapra, what is the deal with remixing textures / models from the DLC parts? Some features, like the little monitoring console and the feet, are very consistent between all those surface parts. If the mod is already dependent on the user owning the DLC, is remixing DLC assets allowed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

1. Yes, you'll be able to make mods to add more robotics parts with the core functionality that's being released with the DLC - but anyone who wants to use those parts will need the DLC of course.

 

3 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

3. Mods will be able to add experiments for the surface experiments.

 

3 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

4. To deploy experiments, you'll have a Kerbal grab them from a storage container, carry them in their own inventory, and put them on the ground - the type & experience level of the Kerbal will affect the performance of some of these parts.  Read into that what you will.

That's nice to hear! :)

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

So, it's a watered-down, stock KIS? Are the experiments the only things the Kerbals will be able to carry in their inventories, or will it be possible to pick up and carry any part?

I don't know what to feel about this. The way KIS works right now really adds a different dimension to the game. I mean I was able to pick up debris on the Munar surface and assemble something to improve my existing base. Not that realistic, I know, but it was fun planning and executing nonetheless. If it's just an inventory system, maybe it's OK?

7 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

5.  I hope you'll be pleased with what we're going to deliver for the robotics control mechanisms.  We've got several features, that are still not revealed and I'm not sure how much I can say about them, that will help you control regular & robotic craft in ways that make the feature even more than it already sounds like.

Anyway, still seems to be fun and am really looking forward to it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it is integrated with KIS. I use KIS for all my rovers. I really don't want two inventories per kerbal etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be releasing more details in the upcoming previews. 

Stay tuned to the upcoming KSP Loadings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nestor said:

We will be releasing more details in the upcoming previews. 

Goes to show how the community is still excited about this game! Our enthusiasm might be getting overboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.