Kerbal Space Program Breaks Ground with a New DLC!

UomoCapra

WR9pkkg.png

A pair of counterrottating EM-32s.  Not high performance, only about 50m/s cruise speed, and a lot of drag if the motors aren't at top speed.  Using stage action group to activate motor and fuel cell, translation up/down to control RPM limit.  Torque at max.

6 minutes ago, Nightside said:

The IVA camera inside the lander can... what happens if you look out of the window from inside?

I'm talking about the view one gets when clicking the "View" button on the Kerbal portrait.
I think it's just a bug, because the navball is rotating and I just discovered that the camera position snaps to the correct one after a timewarp.

Trying to make short video, but would be interested to know if others see this behavior as well or if it's on my side.

50 minutes ago, klesh said:

I don't see a counter rotor on KerikBalm's?  I guess thats why he has so many SAS modules on it?

49 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Conservation of angular momentum. If you don't want the other part of the craft to spin, add another propeller going the other direction.

There are two, they're just mounted one atop the other. Presumably with some tricky clipping.

No tricky clipping.

I have 1 "standard" rotor, on top of 1 tiny rotor- The tiniest rotor is set to freely spin (not motorized), preventing torque from being transmitted to the main craft.

So then on the standard rotor I have 1 set of blade on the top, and since the top spins, the bottom spins, so I put another set of blades on the bottom part. The top and bottom spin in opposite directions, torque is cancelled, and I use the tiniest rotor just to stop the rest of the craft from spinning with the bottom rotor.

The SAS was just there from an earlier iteration with a larger rotor, that was too powerfull, a little wobble got the rotor off center, centrifugal effects started to happen, things got weird. Initially i tried compensating with more SAS before I realized what the problem was... then I just left them on.

*edit*, you can see it here, I forgot I had an I-beam separating the rotor from the main craft, for clearance purposes:

QSc2r9k.png

So the top rotor spins the blades, and of course, and equal and opposite torque is put on the bottom part and the attached I-beam. Thus both sets of rotors are powered by the singe motor. Under the I-beam you see the smallest size rotor. It just spins freely to decouple the main craft's rotation from the lower rotor's rotation.

Edited by KerikBalm

3 minutes ago, klesh said:

Mine just explodes when I spawn it.  I'm trying not to give up in frustration.  Maybe something simpler to start for me I guess.

That looks like a rather old bug .... the old craft starts shaking until something breaks. I've almost always been able to pin down some use of autostrut related to it... 

Anything autostrutted?

we can't use the throttle key ? maj ctrl w x ?

if i want it in mod 1or 2 or 3 ... for the propeler

but desactivate him in default mode. i want control a propeler like a rocket

Edited by jojo5144

Are there written instructions for the robotics anywhere? I'm struggling with the editor and how to use action groups. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but a little guidance would go a long way.

Edit: I found the following video which helped me understand how the KAL-1000 controller worked with Action Groups, the example starts at about 3:50 in the video. 

Edited by Bluefinger73
Found resolution.

Soooo... I just got BG from the KSP Store... its my first KSP DLC...

I got an .exe file... run it, and it keeps telling me KSP isnt installed in this folder....

how do non-Steam users install this? My KSP install is in a non-C: drive folder... on a different partition...
PLEEEEZZZEEEEE tell me this installer *DOES NOT* require a C:/ProgramFiles install >:(

and before anyone ssays anything, I have just about *every* mod ever made for KSP on my HDD, and I *DO* know how to manually install them *all* ...

10 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Anything autostrutted?

No, I just went through and clicked every part, nothing autostrutted automatically.

To be clear, thats just pressing launch, and the ship shakes itself apart.  I agree, I think its an old classic KSP bug.

I gave up on it.  Trying something else that might be easier.

Edited by klesh

2 minutes ago, klesh said:

No, I just went through and clicked every part, nothing autostrutted automatically.

I gave up on it.  Trying something else that might be easier.

Make sure you don’t have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (or KJR Next) installed. 

18 minutes ago, Delay said:

Your helicopter. Doesn't that limits physics a bit?

You mean launch clamps? I'll try it.  Stay tuned.

Edit:  Putting it on a launch clamp sees the main rotor spinning at 130rpm with the motor disengaged.  Its a Kraken drive, I guess.  I have both the tail rotor and the main rotor set to turn on when I press Custom 1, and I can do that, and they'll spin at their preferred, set RPM.  When I turn off the engine I get kraken drive on the main rotor.

I'm also supremely confused about the next thing I am trying to accomplish.  Standby for that too; totally different craft.  :(

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Soooo... I just got BG from the KSP Store... its my first KSP DLC...

I got an .exe file... run it, and it keeps telling me KSP isnt installed in this folder....

how do non-Steam users install this? My KSP install is in a non-C: drive folder... on a different partition...
PLEEEEZZZEEEEE tell me this installer *DOES NOT* require a C:/ProgramFiles install >:(

and before anyone ssays anything, I have just about *every* mod ever made for KSP on my HDD, and I *DO* know how to manually install them *all* ...

I'm going to ask you the stupid question so we can eliminate it: Did you move the downloaded .exe file to your KSP directory, or is it still sitting in Downloads?

EDIT: This was not the answer. It is installable from anywhere. The issue was that Stone had deleted the Launcher (which has been deprecated), but the installer still wanted it present.

Edited by FleshJeb
Found solution below

35 minutes ago, iplayksp said:

You Spin Me Right Round Baby Right Round Baby.

You like spazz?

I'm having a similar problem with this prop plane I threw together. It won't go down the runway with any speed, so if I crank up the power and or RPM, the blades just fly off and destroy everything.

3 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I'm going to ask you the stupid question so we can eliminate it: Did you move the downloaded .exe file to your KSP directory, or is it still sitting in Downloads?

Yup... put it there after it would not accept any folder, after the first few attempts... then put it in the folder *above* /KSP_win64, *in* /KSP_win64, even stuck it in /GameData...
Still refuses...

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

Yup... put it there after it would not accept any folder, after the first few attempts... then put it in the folder *above* /KSP_win64, *in* /KSP_win64, even stuck it in /GameData...
Still refuses...

I've seen Steam users saying it won't install because basic KSP isn't updated to 1.7.1. Maybe that's it?

This is the same question from the MH DLC:

With the Celestial Body Shadows enabled, does anyone else have the issue where they do not seem to work at all?

xZywTeV.png

Position of bodies

vGblHNI.png

Sun occluded by Ike

yJxypfV.png

No shadow on Duna

... same thing happens with Kebin/Mun and Eve/Laythe where I have tried to view a shadow occuring. This does not seem to work in the Flight camera or Planetarium camera.

1 minute ago, FleshJeb said:

I've seen Steam users saying it won't install because basic KSP isn't updated to 1.7.1. Maybe that's it?

Nope... this is on a fresh, stock 1.7.1 install...

Just thought of something, and did a fresh unpackage of 1.7.1...
Now it works...
The only difference is, i had deleted the Launcher.exe and LauncherData folder... (I always do in a new install) ...
so, it seems the broken Launcher is needed vOv ... unless they recently actually fixed it... vOv