Can we not have the new updates locked behind paid DLC?

The OP does pose an interesting question however.   I don't know if it is technically feasible, but what if the game was set up such that DLC parts are supported in all versions but only available for construction if you paid for the DLC?  If I put up my rover with a DLC Flux Capacitor to KerbalX, someone else could download it and drive it, but they would not be able to build anything else using that part.  The part would not exist in the VAB or SPH and you would have to code it in such a way that it could not simply be copied and pasted into the base game, which again, may not be feasible.

1 minute ago, Klapaucius said:

The OP does pose an interesting question however.   I don't know if it is technically feasible, but what if the game was set up such that DLC parts are supported in all versions but only available for construction if you paid for the DLC?  If I put up my rover with a DLC Flux Capacitor to KerbalX, someone else could download it and drive it, but they would not be able to build anything else using that part.  The part would not exist in the VAB or SPH and you would have to code it in such a way that it could not simply be copied and pasted into the base game, which again, may not be feasible.

If the parts worked in a non-dlc version, it would be a simple exercise to just create the parts as a "mod" for the game so you could use them without buying the DLC.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

If the parts worked in a non-dlc version, it would be a simple exercise to just create the parts as a "mod" for the game so you could use them without buying the DLC.

I was wondering if that is the case. I assume you are saying there is no real way to prevent that from happening from a coding standpoint?

Just now, Klapaucius said:

I was wondering if that is the case. I assume you are saying there is no real way to prevent that from happening from a coding standpoint?

I can't think of one, other than hard coding it to only work with the exact parts from Squad, which would kill modding for the DLC. Missing History would become Missing Missing History, if you catch my drift.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I can't think of one, other than hard coding it to only work with the exact parts from Squad, which would kill modding for the DLC. Missing History would become Missing Missing History, if you catch my drift.

Bummer. It was a good idea while it lasted....

On 5/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, 5thHorseman said:

In short, no.

In slightly longer, you can have no updates, or you can find a business model that makes money to fund additional development. Paying for that development is the surest way to get it.

They could crowdfund it, after successful funding release it for free to all KSP users. 

An amusing thought is imagining the vitriol if they developed multiplayer and funded it by monthly subscription for online access. 

11 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

An amusing thought is imagining the vitriol if they developed multiplayer and funded it by monthly subscription for online access. 

If they managed to solve all the problems associated with MP (and let's not go into details on that, we have threads for that :P), and did it well, then I think they would be very just in asking for that type of fee.   

On 5/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Klapaucius said:

If you copied their code and used it in a free mod, I believe it'd be piracy. I don't agree with everything about this DLC pack, but I don't think you should copy the parts and release them for free, as Squad did pay money to make them and chose to have them be part of a paid DLC. If you make new code for rotating parts or update the IR source code, that's fine, but there is a legal reason not to copy Squad's code.

45 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

If they managed to solve all the problems associated with MP (and let's not go into details on that, we have threads for that :P), and did it well, then I think they would be very just in asking for that type of fee.   

I honestly think that if they do do something like that, the system could be that they have high quality servers which they maintain and you pay to use, and people can make their own server for free and you can use that instead if you don't care about the latency issues which your server has and that the official servers fix. There's already a multiplayer mod which works pretty well but is not perfect, so if squad wanted to jump in there and make the game multiplayer, I'd be totally happy for squad to do a collaboration with the Luna multiplayer people and make some official Paid servers as long as they allow regular people to have their servers for free. However, it might be a waste of time if KSP multiplayer fails because of the number of issues there are. 

30 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

If you copied their code and used it in a free mod, I believe it'd be piracy. I don't agree with everything about this DLC pack, but I don't think you should copy the parts and release them for free, as Squad did pay money to make them and chose to have them be part of a paid DLC. If you make new code for rotating parts or update the IR source code, that's fine, but there is a legal reason not to copy Squad's code.

Whoa, I think you misunderstood me; I would never advocate piracy. Quite the opposite, in fact.  I was clarifying what @5thHorseman told me, that there is no way for Squad to code DLC parts in such a way that they are only available for building in the DLC but that ships created with those parts could be shared.  Please scroll up a bit and read my original comment and it will put it all in context.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:45 AM, Lisias said:

That 4 year old mod vanished from the face of the Earth, or it's still available?

Keep in mind that everything that's stock is the only way videogames are allowed to use them - and it's probably were the money is going to be.

Not to mention stability issues.

Currently being rewritten br @Rudolf Meier

On 5/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, fulgur said:

I tried Infernal Robotics for a little bit. My ships always came apart at high warp. And it gave me the kraken with the black navball several times.

So, I would prefer stock (if not vanilla) robotics.

try Infernal Robotics Next... the next Beta will be out tonight and it's very stable... almost release and does no longer have the problems you're talking about.

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

I agree with this, they've almost completely stopped updating the base game, so if we want new features we have to pay (and I know you're all going to respond with the 'they need to make money' argument). I said when MH was announced that I was worried about free updates being stopped and only getting things through DLC, I guess I was right.

It's going to create a divide in the playerbase through the crafts. 'Oh that's a really cool design! Downloading it now!' only to find out you're missing parts, and to get those parts, you have to spend $15 or $20 on a DLC. 

>attack here<

So, what would you want them to to do? If they start giving aeverything away for free, then sometime next year there will be announced that development is shut down due to lack of funding. Or, if they keep the DLC reasonably priced which I believe it is, they continue to be able to make more DLC and improve the base game,hopefully taking advantage of new features as time goes on

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

they continue to be able to make more DLC and improve the base game

Improve the base game? The only 'improvements' we get are revamps. All new parts and features are only accessible through DLC, and I can't even believe that KSP, a game about building rockets and exploring planets and spaceflight, would be treated like this

Just now, Jestersage said:

So can we confirm that from now on:

Stock = with DLC

Vanilla = no DLC?

Unfortunately yes, they've moved on from supporting the stock game entirely to make us purchase more...

:mellow:

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Improve the base game? The only 'improvements' we get are revamps. All new parts and features are only accessible through DLC, and I can't even believe that KSP, a game about building rockets and exploring planets and spaceflight, would be treated like this

You still haven't  answered my question: what do you want them to do, long term?  How should they generate revenue in order to keep paying the employees, rent, etc.?

Nice signature. Screw the base game

Purchase all DLC

DLC makes you complete

You must purchase DLC

Without DLC you cannot play

You must purchase DLC

(repeat mindlessly)

22 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

>response to continue pointless arguing here<

I asked a question.  Not arguing.  Without any knowledge of how you think they can stay solvent, I cannot even begin to understand your side.  Right now, you are saying "give me everything for free".  Please explain how they can do that.

It's a simple question. But so far, no answer other than repeating  the same thing.

Hey guys, there's nothing rule breaking here yet, but we can all see where this is going.   Points have been made, statements have been said, repeating them ad naseum isn't going to get us anywhere.  So before we go down a road we don't want to, let's just go do something else for a bit. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.