Can we not have the new updates locked behind paid DLC?

On 5/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, boomchacle said:

If you copied their code and used it in a free mod, I believe it'd be piracy.

I believe that would be piracy.

Coding the same features but in a different way, While not using Squad's textures it would be perfectly fine.  If someone did this and open-sourced the code it would be a good alternative for people who don't want to buy the DLC. however the DLC will always have an edge as squad develops and creates the two together.

Having  new features in a DLC that won't be in the vanilla game  I am fine with, because some items (e.g. servos, hinges, pistons) are not needed to enjoy the game.

Edited by lapis

On 5/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, Jestersage said:

Stock = DLC allowed

Vanilla = no DLC?

On 5/23/2019 at 4:17 PM, Jestersage said:

I call that good fortune instead. Check my new signature.

#StockMasterRace
#VanillaIsBoring
Have some flavor. say no the vanilla only.

Mmmmm, blueberry flavor!

tumblr_inline_pryljq8Jtw1rr2wit_540.png

On 5/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, Klapaucius said:

The OP does pose an interesting question however.   I don't know if it is technically feasible, but what if the game was set up such that DLC parts are supported in all versions but only available for construction if you paid for the DLC?  If I put up my rover with a DLC Flux Capacitor to KerbalX, someone else could download it and drive it, but they would not be able to build anything else using that part.  The part would not exist in the VAB or SPH and you would have to code it in such a way that it could not simply be copied and pasted into the base game, which again, may not be feasible.

I feel the need to quote myself here. Somehow, we're getting a into discussion about piracy that is a complete misreading of my original response in the thread.  The implication, perhaps not clear enough, is could Squad do this to offer craft share-ability for non DLC users while restricting the ability to build with DLC parts solely to DLC purchasers?

@5thHorseman  responded that this solution was unlikely to be workable because there is no way for Squad to code parts that could not simply be copied by others.  

Edited by Klapaucius
grammar

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 8:13 PM, fulgur said:

I tried Infernal Robotics for a little bit. My ships always came apart at high warp. And it gave me the kraken with the black navball several times.

So, I would prefer stock (if not vanilla) robotics.

so far thats all these rebotics parts do for me.... i agree with everything said here defecding squad, and have bought the dlc. my only grip is its not very good. so far stuff ive made is farr less reliable than IR. mostly cracken attacks, 3 game crashes, and one death of the full pc, seriouslt i hard crash i needed to reset the battery for. 

im all for new dlc, its cool, and you should support good games devs, but this mod isint very good. i would have thought when squad did what one modder did, they would make it far better....

Where did the idea that a game you paid for, should continue to get free updates for ever, come from? Back in the day, a Tuesday IIRC, you bought a game and that was it. You might be able to buy expansion packs or a sequel, but the original game never changed.

I was fine with MH but then as soon as I saw them locking the props behind DLC, that was too far. 'We're adding one of the most popular features of all time to KSP! Buy now for $25!'

9 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Back in the day, a Tuesday IIRC, you bought a game and that was it. You might be able to buy expansion packs or a sequel, but the original game never changed.

Kerbal Space Program isn't like "other games". I believe that's the reason we all play it. Whether or not "other games" lock updates behind DLCs is completely irrelevant.

25 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

We're adding one of the most popular features of all time to KSP!

Which sounds like a great choice for a DLC, since more people will have the incentive to buy it, leading to more money in the company's pockets, meaning they have more to spend on "free" updates.

31 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Kerbal Space Program isn't like "other games". I believe that's the reason we all play it. Whether or not "other games" lock updates behind DLCs is completely irrelevant.

Actually, it's exactly like other games. They made it, you bought it. End of story. That they have had any free updates is an act of goodwill on their part and not something any of us are entitled to.

51 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Actually, it's exactly like other games. They made it, you bought it. End of story. That they have had any free updates is an act of goodwill on their part and not something any of us are entitled to.

The fact they have offered a generous amount of free updates is certainly part of the "Brand value" which makes is easy to recommend and gift sales to new players.

Market forces cut both ways.

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

The fact they have offered a generous amount of free updates is certainly part of the "Brand value" which makes is easy to recommend and gift sales to new players.

Market forces cut both ways.

And if I ever feel like they're trying to milk people out of money for low quality updates, I'll stop recommending it. But not before.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

And if I ever feel like they're trying to milk people out of money for low quality updates, I'll stop recommending it. But not before.

I actually did this very thing for a while.  Squad has stepped up their game recently, so it's back on my recommended list.  Heck, I don't even need to use the "but download KER" caveat anymore.

40 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I think if you use steam and download a craft the part should still work BUT you should boot be able to edit it etc. Then you could still use someone craft but not be able to edit it. Just an idea.

Given the way part files and craft files exist, that is not possible.

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I think if you use steam and download a craft the part should still work BUT you should boot be able to edit it etc. Then you could still use someone craft but not be able to edit it. Just an idea.

In addition to what @linuxgurugamer wrote:
KSP is very open and mod-friendly. But that also means that if SQUAD would ship the files for the DLC parts with the base game and "lock" them away in some fashion, then it would either be fairly easy to make a mod that unlocks the parts or they have to change the game to be a lot less mod-friendly. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want the latter.

Edited by AHHans
fixed typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.