Kerbal Space Program DLC: “Breaking Gound” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

12 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought you were saying they should just keep selling the base game and have all updates be free.

A very understandable mistake to make, since that particular garbage fire is clearly not out yet.

On the topic of the DLC itself, it's been said already but can we please get a look at the UI for the robotics stuff?

29 minutes ago, steve_v said:

On the topic of the DLC itself, it's been said already but can we please get a look at the UI for the robotics stuff?

They keep posting teasers for various things in the expansion, I'm sure we'll get a KSP Loading newsletter soon and all will be revealed.

57 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Could we have underwater terrain features please?  Would provide a nice reason to build stock submarines

That is something I would like as well. And actually, it is a perfect idea for a DLC--an underwater one. Not everyone is interested in this environment, so it may not make sense to add it to the base game.  Therefore, I would gladly pay extra to have parts and features added to this area.

I just cannot believe the way this company is prioritizing content for this game. Why even bother with console if you're going to ignore the console community. And if I'm wrong, then say something. Let console players know you're working on updating us to PC level. If you're not, then why bother with console at all? PC got 1.7 and then right after, is now getting a fun new dlc. Is there even a console department or do you just get to console when you have time? Any information to hold on to the console community is probably a good thing if you want to expand your company I would think. I love this game and it's a bummer that I feel like the console community is not important to you. I truly hope you guys catch console up so updates go out closer to PC like other gaming companies. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, MajorFizz31 said:

I just cannot believe the way this company is prioritizing content for this game. Why even bother with console if you're going to ignore the console community. And if I'm wrong, then say something. Let console players know you're working on updating us to PC level. If you're not, then why bother with console at all? PC got 1.7 and then right after, is now getting a fun new dlc. Is there even a console department or do you just get to console when you have time? Any information to hold on to the console community is probably a good thing if you want to expand your company I would think. I love this game and it's a bummer that I feel like the console community is not important to you. I truly hope you guys catch console up so updates go out closer to PC like other gaming companies. Thanks. 

I too am somewhat disappointed. If only for the reason that pc players already have acces to that sort of gameplay and on console we just don't have the luxury of mods. 

On 5/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, RedSun Rocketry said:

I really hope that when this comes to console it isn't MISSING ONE OF IT'S CORE FEATURES like making history (I still love making history as I mainly do historical recreations)

What core feature do you feel Making History is missing? 

6 minutes ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

the mission builder which isn't even there on console

Ah, yes.  I thought you meant missing from the full PC version.   Indeed, I dont know why they chose to keep the name of the PC dlc and strip half of it away, when the Parts Pack®️had its own specific name already.  Rest assured though, you aren’t missing much.  No one uses the mission builder at all, so in a way you got a better deal in not having to pay extra for it. 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:03 AM, cfds said:

1.0 is setting a very low bar, though. Yes, there have been improvements, but you can also argue that a lot of these improvements the developers a giving us from the goodness of their hearts are actually just bringing the game to a state that can be considered "released". And we still do not have a career mode that is worth the name...

Dude 1.0 Set the bar pretty darn high. It was probably the best update of all time for Kerbal space program, and the game was pretty much done when it came out. Career mode could be better, but It's alright for what it is.

37 minutes ago, klesh said:

Rest assured though, you aren’t missing much.  No one uses the mission builder at all, so in a way you got a better deal in not having to pay extra for it. 

I do. Not for building missions to share, but I use it for sandbox play. It is the best hyperedit tool there is--far superior to any mod in that department.  If I only have an hour or so, but want to just do some landing practice, I can put myself in orbit around any celestial body.  Or do a bit of flying in the southern mountains without having to worry about fuel.  Or test a rover on Gilly.   Early on, I spent a good amount of time trying (and failing) to build a rocket that could take off from Eve.  It was great to be able to just do that.

For testing submarines or boats, it is almost essential, eliminating the need to roll your boat down to the water's edge every time you do a tweak and want to retest it. 

Right now, I am working on a multi-leg challenge, and having the ability to go to each part of the course and work out the kinks is really useful.

And hey, rockets on underwater ice shelves. What's not to love?

MnARFya.png

8 hours ago, MajorFizz31 said:

I just cannot believe the way this company is prioritizing content for this game. Why even bother with console if you're going to ignore the console community. And if I'm wrong, then say something. Let console players know you're working on updating us to PC level.

Blitworks is the company in charge of porting to console. They can't port something until it has been released. As evidenced by the long lag between updates making it to console, porting KSP is not a quick job. Plans and dates are kept under tight wraps to avoid a backlash when unforeseen circumstances pop up. I would think they will be working on bringing 1.7 and this DLC to console, but neither Squad nor Blitworks can announce it until it is close to completion. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Patience is required.

4 hours ago, boomchacle said:

Dude 1.0 Set the bar pretty darn high. It was probably the best update of all time for Kerbal space program, and the game was pretty much done when it came out. Career mode could be better, but It's alright for what it is.

"Dude", 1.0 was the update were a Mk1 capsule could not reenter safely...

I'm pretty hyped up about "Breaking ground", but there's one thing that just doesn't feel right.

This is on Vall, right? Vall is a satellite without atmosphere. You can't have convection on Vall because gases do not behave like that. Gases spread in a cone, like a myriad of bullets.

In the video, flakes are going around like firebugs, and the orifice is spewing steam like a kettle. Very unrealistic. A realistic approach could even be a lot more visually appealing, if not only less resource intensive (right now it looks like volumetric clouds moving).

Take a look at Enceladus.

PIA11688_hires-800x495.jpg

Whenever there is a sudden sharp drop in pressure, gases will behave like this.

We see the same thing with pressure drops in our atmosphere, however when the gas reaches a certain distance from the source, convection starts because pressure is 1 bar. When the end pressure is zero, there is no convection.

air-freshener-spray-cordelia-molloyscien

It would be a lot simpler and it would look nicer if a large conical plume was made, looking something like this.

vall-plume-lw.png

Just a simple cone with edges tapering into nothing. Animation for the plume itself is not needed at all. Regarding flakes, they could shoot out in straight lines and fade into nothing at a certain height, which would simulate sublimation.

Consider the height of the plume and height of the cryovolcano. I think such sight on the horizon would be amazing.

Edited by lajoswinkler

On 5/21/2019 at 8:19 AM, cfds said:

"Dude", 1.0 was the update were a Mk1 capsule could not reenter safely...

So, like, it needed a heatshield? what a novel concept... When 1.0 came out, I actually had to watch heating very carefully with my spaceplane SSTOs.

Now, I pretty much don't worry at all. If I come in steep enough that its a problem, the strong aerodynamic forces that risk ripping my craft apart are more of a problem. IMO I'd prefer 1.0's heating to now

21 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I'm pretty hyped up about "Breaking ground", but there's one thing that just doesn't feel right.

This is on Vall, right? Vall is a satellite without atmosphere. You can't have convection on Vall because gases do not behave like that. Gases spread in a cone, like a myriad of bullets.

In the video, flakes are going around like firebugs, and the orifice is spewing steam like a kettle. Very unrealistic. A realistic approach could even be a lot more visually appealing, if not only less resource intensive (right now it looks like volumetric clouds moving).

I agree:

On 5/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, KerikBalm said:

I'm more excited about the surface features than the arm myself. I was worried that the cryovolcano was going to be a bland cone. It actually does have some vapor, and particles floating* around.

I was thinking, with these animated floaty textures, there could be some pretty cool coral reef features under the sea of Kerbin, with the particles looking like little fish swimming around, or at least little plankton floating.

Put something like this below the ocean of laythe, as a black smoker, and change the particles a bit to look like little living things swarming around the hotspot, as they do on Earth, that would be super cool.

* from a realism perspective, I don't like the floaty particles, and the gas diffuses too slow, it should be more jet-like.

That looks fine for a geyser on Kerbin or Laythe... but val has no atmosphere those small particles should be following ballistic trajectories, like dust kicked up on the moon, not floating around. Even with a geyser spewing out gas, its spewing out gas into what is effectively a vacuum as soon as the particles are a little bit away from the mouth of the plume.

On hearing rumors about a robotic update I'm very excited to jump on it straight away.  It's gonna be piston engine city up in here.

It's gonna be neat seeing all sorts of crazy new contraptions and inventions daily, and stuff that was only possible previously with Infernal.

I ain't been around much, and this isn't likely to change soon, but from what I saw on tumblr, this could finally be starting to add real things to do on planets and long term ground science. 

Stuff I've wanted, and been vocal about wanting for years, a lack of which contributed to my moving away from playing KSP. 

Who knows, perhaps I shall come back. Yes, one day, I shall come back. 

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.