Kerbal Space Program DLC: “Breaking Gound” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

20 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

my fear is that the new science experiments will just be a variant on surface samples and not unlock a whole new aspect of explorational activities

The part description suggests the experiments will be time based so there's that. 

How else would you propose the science experiments be changed? 

56 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

After watching the few videos posted my fear is that the new science experiments will just be a variant on surface samples and not unlock a whole new aspect of explorational activities. Time will tell.

We can also surmise that there could be a benefit to setting these up near the surface features, which would at least create geographic incentives to use rovers and things. Hard to guess more than that. 

49 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

We can also surmise that there could be a benefit to setting these up near the surface features, which would at least create geographic incentives to use rovers and things. Hard to guess more than that. 

My guess is that the surface features are only interacted with by the camera on a boom thing you see in the BG Logo, and on the Rover teaser pics; maybe a traditional "surface sample" done by a Kerbal as well.  The other 3 deployable science experiments are just biome-specific ones that are time-based, benefit from being deployed by a scientist Kerbal, and have power requirements (solar and rtg-powered) to keep running.

Edited by klesh

13 minutes ago, klesh said:

My guess is that the surface features are only interacted with by the camera on a boom thing you see in the BG Logo, and on the Rover teaser pics; maybe a traditional "surface sample" done by a Kerbal as well.  The other 4 deployable science experiments are just biome-specific ones that are time-based, benefit from being deployed by a scientist Kerbal, and have power requirements (solar and rtg-powered) to keep running.

Hmm yeah perhaps I’m reading to much into the description that we’ll be able to study the features “and” use the rover arm,  implying other experiments will work on/near them. I hope I’m not. Seems like it would diminish the incentive to seek them out if only one experiment utilized them. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Hmm yeah perhaps I’m reading to much into the description that we’ll be able to study the features “and” use the rover arm,  implying other experiments will work on/near them. I hope I’m not. Seems like it would diminish the incentive to seek them out if only one experiment utilized them.  

My thought behind that is we've not seen these deployable ones put anywhere near a surface feature (yet).  Also, its 3 deployables not 4 as I was going off memory.  This is my accounting of them so far:

HjUcAq5.png

@Gameslinx I think you are wrong to conclude that 95% of the added functionality is already covered. The reason is what I think is a fundamental lack of understanding of what squad does which cannot be achieved by modders. One thing that separates the modders from squad developers is that squad have access to the core engine code and are able to extend it in the best possible way. Modders are only able to program against existing code. They can extend by programming around it but you always end up with a compromise of what you really want. A prime example is Infernal robotics. Yes, it allowed you to make robotics vehicles but it came at the expense of several unsolvable issues that could not be resolved by the IR team. Only Squad has the ability to extend the engine in such a way that these problems are much better addressed. Another thing they introduce are the new mechanics that can be used by modders to make their existing mods better. A good example of this the data collection over time which surely looks like something that will make science experiments potentially a lot better.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Thanks, but I don't see the interface? 

It's the new Neural Interface accessory they haven't announced yet.... ;) (Winky included for those that don't realize that's a joke)

18 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

It's the new Neural Interface accessory they haven't announced yet.... ;) (Winky included for those that don't realize that's a joke)

But... but...

I really want a Neural Interface. 

:(

edit: Oh yeah.  I'm very pleased and excited for the endless possibilities this DLC will bring.  Thanks, SQUAD!

Happy landings!

4 hours ago, mrhexed said:

Just include it in your update, sheesh.

That's, um, not how the world works.

You do get that businesses need to make money, right?  And that employees need to eat, so the company has gotta pay them?  Which means that when people are doing work for money, they charge money for that work?  Businesses can't just give their products away for free, whether they're selling software or groceries.

Am I correct in my impression that you're suggesting that Squad should spend tons of money to develop a major new set of features, and then give it away for free?  How exactly do you picture that business model working?

4 hours ago, mrhexed said:

That's just depressing

Just embrace the new system. Or if you are as old as I am, find more stuff to do. I mean, the cost of this DLC is just one lunch dish in Downtown Vancouver, so it's not too bad. (Or the price for a bottle of Teacher's)

Considering how old this game technically is, DLC if nothing else will help make it fresh. It's basically Windows 10 -- every iteration is a new version.

Edited by Jestersage

4 hours ago, Snark said:

Am I correct in my impression that you're suggesting that Squad should spend tons of money to develop a major new set of features, and then give it away for free?  How exactly do you picture that business model working?

Perhaps the way it has been working for the last 4 years or so since the 1.0 release, based on sales of the existing game?  Keep in mind I’ll be buying the DLC, and Im not adverse to the idea of DLC to fund development, but you assertion that this is like a grocery store giving away free food to people who have never paid them any money is silly.  It’d be more like buy one, get one free deal, where money is spent and you receive more than the face value of what your purchase.  The way that works out economically for the “store” is through sheer volume.  Obviously sales of the base game are probably not as good as they used to be, so continued development needs funding. I’m sure paying to have the console edition made twice didn't help the bottom line either  

All that aside and no longer addressing the previous quote, its wild that the Making History spacesuit which was included in last year’s paid DLC is now the least-recent.  The default suits having been overhauled since MH’s release (for free!?!), and the new Tronsuits (yuk) being done most recently.  Time flies.  

Edited by klesh

On 5/16/2019 at 1:35 AM, Starhawk said:

But... but...

I really want a Neural Interface. 

:(

edit: Oh yeah.  I'm very pleased and excited for the endless possibilities this DLC will bring.  Thanks, SQUAD!

Happy landings!

Unless its powered by Google or Facebook. ;)

This video took away my fears though, that we would only get big robotic parts like shown on the first screenshots. This DLC will be great!

1 hour ago, klesh said:

Perhaps the way it has been working for the last 4 years or so since the 1.0 release, based on sales of the existing game?

Squad does not release sales figures but if KSP is anything like pretty much any other digital thing, sales have been trailing off since release day.

20 minutes ago, klesh said:

Of course. Which is why we now have DLC.

I was explaining how this wasn't just a business giving away their product out of nowhere for free to everyone.

Ahh I apologize I thought you were saying they should just keep selling the base game and have all updates be free. Carry on. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.