KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Go-ob ED Monitor

St4rdust

40 minutes ago, cfds said:

How would a scientist standing next to a system that observes a goo container with a camera improve any gains? The whole "character class" system needs to be either dropped or actually implemented...

You get the gains by -deploying- the experiment using a scientist rather than ham-fisted Jeb, not by having the scientist standing next to it the whole time.  The video is, assuming there's any sense to it at all apart from marketing, probably the scientist performing a post-deploy shakedown test before leaving the experiment to itself.

I was also hoping for more info in general.Looks VERY cool dont get me wrong BUT this doesnt make me more excited than i was before(although i am VERY excited already).

I think the basic aim 20 days before release is to get people hyped and this just doesnt do it in my opinion.

Releasing a dlc and you post a Daily with two new parts and showcasing only the one(the other looks like a storage module attached to the pod)

you only gonna get more noise from the people that are skeptical about the amount/worth of new content.

Edited by Boyster

14 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I've always wondered. Is the mystery goo edible?

We are not allowed to share that information yet! Keep it as a surprise! 

5 hours ago, linecrafter said:

Okay this is awesome , but please release more info :)

Soon™ 

6 hours ago, Boyster said:

I was also hoping for more info in general.Looks VERY cool dont get me wrong BUT this doesnt make me more excited than i was before(although i am VERY excited already).

I think the basic aim 20 days before release is to get people hyped and this just doesnt do it in my opinion.

Releasing a dlc and you post a Daily with two new parts and showcasing only the one(the other looks like a storage module attached to the pod)

you only gonna get more noise from the people that are skeptical about the amount/worth of new content.

The point here is you are HYPED, if we share a lot of information you will lose that hype. So, be patient. We will share more info about Breaking Ground, Soon™ 

7 hours ago, cfds said:

How would a scientist standing next to a system that observes a goo container with a camera improve any gains? The whole "character class" system needs to be either dropped or actually implemented...

neil.jpg

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Cool. Now show us moar stuff please!

I've never played with SEP, but I'm gonna bet it doesn't do those funky animations....

We will show more info Soon

13 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Wait, I’m out of likes already?:huh:

There you go! like.png

I’ll be positive first off and say that the animation is nice even though there are sounds in a vacuum, there have always been in KSP so I can suspend my disbelief there a bit.  

My concern so far is that previously we landed, clicked a button, a window popped up instantly and “science” was over.  From the looks of this (which I’ll fully admit isn’t tons of information so I could very well be making too many assumptions) the process looks like click the button labeled “deploy” instead of “run experiment” and rather than an instant science window pop up, we watch a 10 second animation, then the science results window (probably) pops up.  I feel like I’ll watch those little experiment animations once or twice and then just click to deploy experiment and walk away after that.

I’m not sure if some kind of minigame where you’re actually performing something inside a window would be better, or how best to immerse a player into “performing science” but I dont think watching an animation will do it.  Certainly piques my interest though as to what else is going to happen.

Funny how the  ship in the background is just sitting there,  no fuel tanks or engines or anything.  

Lastly, responding to a player expressing their concerns with a “I think we have a badass over here” meme feels kind of dismissive of your community’s feedback. (I might just be too old to "get" memes and maybe I'm vibing that response the wrong way.  My apologies if thats the case).

Edited by klesh

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I have a sharp eye and I noticed this

screenshot-2019-05-10-at-8.43.09-am.png?w=1000

Is this were you store Experiments?

Sometimes we have to land really quickly to do this, don't be mad about it. lol 

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Woah there now.  Squad community managers are limited to posting in challenge threads only.  You're going to start getting my hopes up here.

Well, I like to interact with you guys, when I have time to stay here... I enjoy it. ;) 

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I have a sharp eye and I noticed this

screenshot-2019-05-10-at-8.43.09-am.png?w=1000

Is this were you store Experiments?

Hmm... image that. The science storage containers actually being used to store science experiments. That's weird, something in KSP being used exactly as intended.

15 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

This is something to look forward to for sure, have been excited about most parts of the whole DLC since I saw the announcement!

Was sort of hoping to get word on some other stuff during these Loading posts though, at the top of my list is "How will career missions work now?" As for the reason this has me worried: The 250th time you decline an offer to ruin your perfectly planned orbit of your favorite satellite it becomes rather apparent that the Kerbals won't ever stop pestering you about missions you have never even once felt the slightest urge to accept. If the Breaking Ground pack comes with even more mission types but still no way to block any of the utterly unwanted ones from respawning I'm going to end up spending even more of my time declining missions to spawn ones I want to accept.

Since I brought it up I might as well be helpful enough to suggest a better format for the mission selection: As an alternative to an ability to forever stop certain unwanted mission types from spawning, maybe splitting them up into numerous tabs based on type would be a better option. Each tab would respawn its own missions on offer based on your overall renown and the number of simultaneous offers would increase the more of these specific missions you clear or the more you fulfill some relevant criteria such as which planets you've visited. Also it feels completely wrong that the last upgrade for the building unlocks "unlimited missions" when the game doesn't even offer more than just over a dozen at the same time, what's even up with that? Even if no other change is made to the mission generation I'd very much like to see a substantial simultaneous missions cap increase and please do something about the UI showing the active missions so players don't need to scroll for 3 minutes to check if they indeed had all those tourists on board for that round trip to Minmus.

Why do I always go off on tangents like this, ugh. Still MEGA looking forward to the DLC, though damn I'm bummed the launch collides with my departure for a week at a festival, gosh darn you for making my dream DLC!

EDIT: The missions also spam the message log, am I missing something or what's up with that? Once they pile up over 500 the log starts lagging and I've found no "purge" button to clear them so I have to click 500 times to get rid of them, for a couple of hours until they've piled up to 500 again... Additionally my mission history stopped being accessible after the first few thousand missions. I'm sure it eventually responds if I try to open it but I'd much appreciate being able to purge that as well - without having to look at it first. I don't need to know that 9000 years ago I successfully sent a temperature reading from my already stationary 400 year old satellite for the 856th time and got paid. Am I missing the purge buttons that already exist? Please do tell me, seriously please do tell me.

Thank you so much for your suggestions about UI and the missions spam I will share your comments with devs. About the new features on Breaking Ground, for now, we can't share everything about it.  And... keep hyped about the DLC. ;) 

9 hours ago, micha said:

You get the gains by -deploying- the experiment using a scientist rather than ham-fisted Jeb, not by having the scientist standing next to it the whole time.  The video is, assuming there's any sense to it at all apart from marketing, probably the scientist performing a post-deploy shakedown test before leaving the experiment to itself.

The piece has a purpose, but we can't share everything yet. Remember this: 

With Breaking Ground, you'll be able to conduct a variety of scientific experiments on planets or the moon, building science bases with stations, power generators and other devices.

16 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

The missions also spam the message log, am I missing something or what's up with that? Once they pile up over 500 the log starts lagging and I've found no "purge" button to clear them so I have to click 500 times to get rid of them, for a couple of hours until they've piled up to 500 again... Additionally my mission history stopped being accessible after the first few thousand missions.

Are you sure this isn’t a mod issue? The base game doesn’t spam anything that many times anywhere close to that often.

If you are talking about the “contracts” page, you can use the alt+f12 debug menu to purge all the contracts.

Does the part implies that close-by energy sources (solar panels) will be able to provide energy? Does it means shared resources between close objects? Including vessels, bases? :targetpro:

5 minutes ago, ndiver said:

Does the part implies that close-by energy sources (solar panels) will be able to provide energy? Does it means shared resources between close objects? Including vessels, bases? :targetpro:

This pic from they imgur album they put up makes it seem like they want you to collect um all on a planet and hook um up together with some sort of cabling system. Take a look at the solar panel, it's has cables going to something that either pointed at the sky or the ground. Also looks like the rocket bottom has something that might hold the experiments in transit, it wouldn't make perfect sense for infinite number of these things to be in a kerbal's back pocket for the whole trip (Although it could be inline docking.)

eAIobFP.png

1 hour ago, SlinkyMcman said:

This pic from they imgur album they put up makes it seem like they want you to collect um all on a planet and hook um up together with some sort of cabling system. Take a look at the solar panel, it's has cables going to something that either pointed at the sky or the ground. Also looks like the rocket bottom has something that might hold the experiments in transit, it wouldn't make perfect sense for infinite number of these things to be in a kerbal's back pocket for the whole trip (Although it could be inline docking.)

I sure hope they fix the surface issues and having stuff bouncing around. It would be so annoying to have your lander and all the surface experiments bouncing around and sliding on the ground.

Edited by bigdad84

1 hour ago, ndiver said:

1 hour ago, SlinkyMcman said:

eAIobFP.png

Maybe Squad is incorporating a connection less resource transfer system. That seems very plausible too.

As someone mentioned in a different thread, it is very likely these objects are going to be  static on the ground so physics doesn’t affect them. They will still be solid and can still be destroyed, but you would never be able to move them with external forces. 

Same as the new crystals sticking out of the ground for example. 

6 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

As someone mentioned in a different thread, it is very likely these objects are going to be  static on the ground so physics doesn’t affect them. They will still be solid and can still be destroyed, but you would never be able to move them with external forces. 

Im not sure its certain that they're fixed, just that they probably wouldn't need suspension and would behave like any other chunk of debris. 

15 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Maybe Squad is incorporating a connection less resource transfer system. That seems very plausible too.

If I had to guess, that solar panel generates "science power" that will power the science stuff nearby.

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

If I had to guess, that solar panel generates "science power" that will power the science stuff nearby.

That or connects to them to recharge the experiments. The demo clips/picts usually doesn't explain stuff like this anyway. Guess we'll find out when the DLC drops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.