Need help with docking

Hello, does anybody here know how to rendezvous and dock with spacecraft easily and efficiently? I'm building a small station at the moment - around 100km above sea level, and when I managed to dock the second stage (comms and power) to the main parent module, I was quite proud, and I decided to go ahead and try attach the third and fourth modules, (crew and research modules) but then I nearly gave up completely when I just couldn't get a rendezvous with the craft again, even though I had a good 1.5k Delta V at my disposal. Also, anybody know how to directly insert a photo into these posts? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, PlatinumBlast said:

Hello, does anybody here know how to rendezvous and dock with spacecraft easily and efficiently?

I found this guide really helpful when I first learned to dock:

1 hour ago, PlatinumBlast said:

Also, anybody know how to directly insert a photo into these posts?

The forum does not host files so you need to join an image hosting service (I use imgur but any should work) and link your files into the forum.

Funny, usually its the docking that proves the hardest for me (but its usually down my rubbish design, like putting  a docking port on the underside) and the rendezvous the easiest.

Since you've already done a rendezvous before, you should really just be able to replicate what you've done! I'm afraid I can't do a better job than a visual guide at explaining.

As for the image, if you downloaded KSP via Steam, its possible:

1. Get a screenshot in game (F12, but this is also the aerodynamic overlay, so change aerodynamic overlay to another key in the main menu settings)
  2. Upload it to Steam Cloud (when you close the game, or click shift-tab and click view screenshots, a window appears where you can upload)
  3. Find your profile on Steam, find screenshots, and click the screenshot. This should take you to a webpage of just the screenshot.
  4. Copy the URL (web address)
  5. Back on the forum, start a post. There should be an 'insert other media' button. Click it and click 'insert image from URL'  and paste the URL.
  6. The screenshot should appear in the post!

If you haven't come across him yet, I can highly recommend watching Scott Manley's YouTube videos about KSP.

Quite a few years ago he did an entire video series for beginners, most of which should still be applicable.

Rendezvous: 

Spoiler

Docking:

Spoiler

Also, the "Docking Port Alignment Indicator" mod is -very- useful when docking..

Edited by micha

The Docking Port Alignment Indicatior is useful, there is a Navball DPAI which I find much easier to steer by. It has a nice red marker on the navball, and all you have to do is line it up with the target marker and the prograde marker, and you can let it drift.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1098/Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.