Stupid reasons to call 911!

SuperMiiBrother

Boy, having run EMS for many many years, I can truly say that most of these won't even compare to the stupid reasons people actually called 911 for.

One lady called 911, at 430 am so she could get a ride to the hospital for a doctors appointment at 10 am.   She was 8 blocks from the hospital, and in a condition that making that walk was not a problem.   We get there, and she says I don't want to go now, I'll go later.   We told her it was now, or we were leaving.  So she goes.   And then we billed her for the trip (since in district residents get billed for frivolous calls), which in an ALS Squad, ran about $700 then. 

Working near a major university, in August and September, our call volume went through the roof.  Quite often very early Saturday and Sunday mornings, for obvious college reasons.   And since most of these kids weren't residents of the districts, we had to bill them.   The bills went to their parents' address, and the kids had to deal with the wrath of their parents.   There was a noticeable down tick in call volume come mid October when kids realized this. 

4 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

Calling 911 so I do not have to do the EOG's

I've gone on this call multiple times.  Students faking injury or illness to get out of an exam.   So the professor requires a doctor's note, and somebody ends up calling 911.   See above comment why this usually only happens to freshmen in the first semester. 

Calling 911 with elaborate story of robbery to get out of work day at Hardee's.

Calling 911 after your mom wouldn't pay for IHOP.

Calling 911 for having found bright green iguana in toilets.

Calling 911 for demanding cops to fix your garage.

Calling 911, complaining clams you ordered were too small.

Calling 911 because Taco Bell won't serve you tacos.

Calling 911, seeking intelligence info on yourself. 

P.S.: All those are true Florida Man adventures.

19 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Calling 911 for having found bright green iguana in toilets.

That one might be worth calling for, depending on where you are.   Near a rain forest or in the tropics?   Nah.   But if you're in Montana, sure why not?

Calling 911 because Shawty is on fire.

Spoiler

U kno wat dat means

Spoiler

SOMEBODY CALL NAAN WAAN WAAN, SHAWTY FAYAH BURNIN ON THE DANCE FLOOR, WHOA-OH!

[Sean Kingston - Fire Burning]

And...

Calling 911to ask whether you can acquire your city's inactive Cold War CD (Civil Defense) siren.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
Tryna getting the lyrics right.

Calling 911 because you saw a broken railway crossing ? Or you were a witness of recent crime (already passed) ?

IDK, compared to (say) the UK, emergency numbers in the US seems to be inadequate and too overreaching at the same time. In the UK they have 999 which works for everything immediately endangering; but they also have 101 for non-emergency stuff.

911 on the other hand is the only number easily memorable despite not being the right number to call (ie. level crossing accidents, railway trespass). In the UK 999 works for that too, regardless of where you are; but there's 101 if you don't think it's really that dangerous (or if the harm is already done).

911, what’s your emergency

Operator! I don’t know how to call 911! 

You just called it!

Well, there is a rock on the road.

*exasperated* How big is this rock?

About... the size of my fist

Why is this a problem?!

It’s staring at me in a way that weirds me out. Can you send a bulldozer to move it aw- 

*operator hangs up*

Edited by Fraston

apparently, after a recent tsunami scare here (we only ended up getting a wave a couple of feet high), the local 911 got a rash of people reporting that they heard a tsunami warning on the local news, as well as people calling to ask what they should do.

Also, that cat is seriously weirded out by that bread, do I need to call 911?:wink:

Edited by Capt. Hunt