KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - NEW SUIT!

St4rdust

Key words: “At the moment”

So something is planned down the road, but they are dealing with first things first, getting the model done. As for whatever function they had planned, maybe it would take too long or was proving to have difficult bugs.  

40 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I guess it’s just for aesthetics at the moment.

33 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Because it doesn’t ? Lol. Sometimes things can be done for aesthetics you know, not everything has to have a functional purpose. 

14 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Key words: “At the moment”

So something is planned down the road, but they are dealing with first things first, getting the model done. As for whatever function they had planned, maybe it would take too long or was proving to have difficult bugs.  

Oh... I got it. Thanks everyone for explaining!!!!

17 minutes ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

What if there was a special mark on each suit denoting wether a kerbal is a pilot, engineer, or scientist, perhaps different colored circle thing on the side of their head

That would be a good Idea!!!!!

Edited by Nigel J. Cardozo

18 minutes ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

What if there was a special mark on each suit denoting wether a kerbal is a pilot, engineer, or scientist, perhaps different colored circle thing on the side of their head

Maybe it could even show the Kerbal's name.

17 hours ago, Sky The Heck said:

These remind me of the SpaceX iva suits. Out of curiosity will we ever be able to remove the parachute on the suits? Its odd having Kerbals EVAing in space while still wearing the parachute.

I've never cared for the look of the parachute.  I, too, would like to disable it.  Personally, I think the maneuvering unit and parachute should be separate equipable items from the cockpit.  Defaulting to parachute in atmo and RCS in space or some such.

17 hours ago, MechBFP said:

First person EVA would be pretty sweet.

I agree!

In general, I really like this suit.

43 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah, that could be a problem. Maybe having it on the chestplate would be better.

It’s doable, but the names are random so they’d need to write special software to custom edit the texture file for each kerbal. Not sure that’s worth it for something so small and hard to see. Same with patches, probably, but at least those could be a finite set of assets.

It would be cool to have different Eva suit coloration for each class though. The other thing I’d love would be a random set of hair styles and glasses and things so each kerbal had a bit more personality. Same deal with finite assets and at least you’d be able to see it. 

14 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

they’d need to write special software to custom edit the texture file for each kerbal.

the kerbal names are all drawn from a set pool of names, all you'd have to do is have a texture subset linked to each name all with the same header or something like that and for each kerbal it would check for the "Nameplate" header and apply that texture file to the suit in a preset way.

another possibility is having only the veterans have nameplates (though that would be a bit dissapointing), or just having them all say KERMAN if squad was feeling extra cheeky.

different kerbal hair does sound really fun though (-:

35 minutes ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

the kerbal names are all drawn from a set pool of names, all you'd have to do is have a texture subset linked to each name all with the same header or something like that and for each kerbal it would check for the "Nameplate" header and apply that texture file to the suit in a preset way.

another possibility is having only the veterans have nameplates (though that would be a bit dissapointing), or just having them all say KERMAN if squad was feeling extra cheeky.

different kerbal hair does sound really fun though (-:

Oh are they? I guess that makes sense. Maybe not a big deal after all. But yeah, generally I’m all for giving the little guys more unique character. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.