Some photos from Brooklands

Stewcumber

Today is my Birthday!:cool:

To celebrate my partner and I went to Brooklands. It's just inside the M25 near London in the UK. It's a car and aeroplane museum built around a race track from 1907 (I think) which was then turned into an airfield for WW2. It looked like this in its hayday:

uHgZgW6h.jpg

Now it looks like:

lmTOVaQh.jpg

(Notice the same bridge in the background of both)

They also have a British Airways Concorde. Fun fact: Due to the heat of flying at 60,000ft, it gains an extra 8 inches in length! The cabin section is on rollers to accommodate this. It could fly from London to New York so fast that, on an evening flight with take off after the sun has set, the pilots would see a sun rise from the west as they were travelling faster than the earth was rotating. Their (and the absolute, I think) record is 2 hours and 52 minutes, from New York to London.

o9Kkwqnh.jpg

bOJjNm3h.jpg

8gMoyfm.jpg

What a great profile!

On the other end of the scale there was the first plane to cross the Atlantic, the Vickers Vimy, which took 15 hours and 57 minutes to complete the milestone, in 1919. It's a replica from 1994 below.

p8VfqXfh.jpg

We also went in Vickers Viscount

tE0rrTkh.jpg

j6OPFVhh.jpg

... and the Sultan of Oman's Vickers VC10. It was pimp!

oJkwyA3h.jpg

skiSrSkh.jpg

56iBaR8h.jpg

wVvBbl9h.jpg

I find the old planes the most fascinating as it reminds me of my early (and current, if I'm honest!) days of playing KSP. Pushing boundaries of what I thought was possible, what was 'fast', what was long-range.

bPXYRzdh.jpg

f5J4kjOh.jpg

Finally here is a Bently with "retarded" written on the steering wheel.

lzQq6bth.jpg

rBKq5nhh.jpg

yQ5wbn7h.jpg

See you in the skies and beyond!

@Stewcumber Lovely pics! I actually don’t live far from Brooklands myself so I have the opportunity of visiting without too much trouble. It’s a shame that it’s so expensive to see inside Concorde because it’s one of my favourite aircraft, but I guess they’ve got to find money to maintain the museum and all of those exhibits somewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.