[1.12.0] Ж-20 "Moroz" Spaceplane

Well

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

My one thought is that the adaptor to 1.85m is pretty much dead weight.  A thought would be to make it a small service module: a monoprop fuel cell, an antenna, and a small monoprop fuel tank.  (Maybe 50 units or so.)

I seriously think to make it monoprop fueltank (optional - 0 by default, and maybe a little electricity)

Edited by Well

28 minutes ago, Well said:

I seriously think to make it monoprop fueltank (optional - 0 by default, and maybe a little electricity)

I wouldn't mind that.  ;)  Though at the moment I don't really see the need for more EC - you can't transmit science from the ship, and there's not really any other drains, so the only real EC usage is for reaction wheels, which just don't take that much.  (Unless you're running an LS mod which uses EC.)  Sure you could put an antenna in the cargo bay - but you can put a small battery in the bay as well.

My build has around 400m/s dv from the engines - though I use over 100m/s of that for a circularization burn to enter orbit, so I haven't actually tried to rendezvous and dock with it yet.  (Especially since at this point most of my space stations I’m transferring Kerbals to are in *high* orbit - this would be plenty to rendezvous in low orbit, but it's pushing it to high orbit.)

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I wouldn't mind that.  ;)  Though at the moment I don't really see the need for more EC - you can't transmit science from the ship, and there's not really any other drains, so the only real EC usage is for reaction wheels, which just don't take that much.  (Unless you're running an LS mod which uses EC.)  Sure you could put an antenna in the cargo bay - but you can put a small battery in the bay as well.

My build has around 400m/s dv from the engines - though I use over 100m/s of that for a circularization burn to enter orbit, so I haven't actually tried to rendezvous and dock with it yet.  (Especially since at this point most of my space stations I’m transferring Kerbals to are in *high* orbit - this would be plenty to rendezvous in low orbit, but it's pushing it to high orbit.)

Fair

I've also see this morning the spaceplane  can't transmit science.... i think that need to be fixed, that look stupid, just like for the Crew report.

Which was why I was suggesting a low-power transmitter for the adaptor, with a fuel cell - then you can transmit and recharge your batteries, but you need to think about how much to use it, as you'll end up up fuel-limited for your mission.  It's also historically appropriate, I think: the service module has 'in-orbit necessary' equipment, but you could abort or land without it.

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

Which was why I was suggesting a low-power transmitter for the adaptor, with a fuel cell - then you can transmit and recharge your batteries, but you need to think about how much to use it, as you'll end up up fuel-limited for your mission.  It's also historically appropriate, I think: the service module has 'in-orbit necessary' equipment, but you could abort or land without it.

Depend on the mission and the concept, this adapter could be so many different things according to the picture i've see...

Payload / Fuel / APU / Antenna / Dock / Abort module so many variant...

dynaSoar09TB.jpg

dynaSoar01TB.jpg

dynaSoar05TB.jpg

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I like the first concept. It`s a really good concept for an crew transport vehicle.

Like many other i don't think a 4 crew cabin is a thing, it's probably an artist misunderstood or something like that, because it's like put 4 astronaut on a classic gemini capsule

-----------------------------------------

Work of the day, texture of the crew tunnel module :

screen_2560x1440_2019-05-19_16-23-13.png

screenshot0.jpg

Fans of the X-20 can't ignore the Kolyma's Shadow alternate history timeline:

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:minerva-2.png

https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=timelines:kolyma_vehicles

I tweakscaled down BDB LDC Titan parts to 2.5m and used restock Rockomax Jumbo tweakscaled to 1.5m for the boosters (unscaled Jumbo could also be used for the core). BDB also has the E1 engines needed for this.

r3324QVh.png

hBQqe28h.png

BVYUuOmh.png

DEaLfCUh.png

For the Kolymas shadow style extended service module, the Universal Storage 2 1.875m to 2.5m fairing is a great fit for the X20 adapter that gives lots of options for extra life support and mission endurance while keeping the payload bay free. If you care about such things, you can keep the core of the US2 module a crew transfer tunnel as well so that the docking port makes sense.

ciQhzVjh.jpg

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:chas-dyn_3a.png

BVNRWkMh.png

RHuZbgKh.png

11 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Fans of the X-20 can't ignore the Kolyma's Shadow alternate history timeline:

A beautiful KSP build you have here, Universal Storage module is a great idea!

Really nice and thanks for those pictures

:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

On 5/18/2019 at 4:05 PM, Well said:

Test in game work fine, i've also tested with other docking system from other mod. But Docking Jr is the best for this small spaceplane (or Restock Docking Jr work fine)

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpgscreenshot6.jpg

Of course not a lot of docking at this size, but still some option.

screenshot12.jpg

Those are bigger and don't really match (that a little dumb) but fit for most of them or need to be a little clipped on the bottom:

screenshot16.jpg

YAY! Thank you Well!

41 minutes ago, BillKerman123 said:

Amazing mod! I've got some really good ideas on how to use it. 

Question though: could you make the wings slightly shorter so they don't stick out the back of the craft as much? 

I think the Original Modder make it like that, because X-20 look like that from what i see:

4452562d96b27f38a8e268d0c1adc345.jpg

280px-X20_Dyna-Soar_diagram.png

New update soon.

White Variant, New Cokpit, new adapter and many fix.

Also i'm sorry but this update are probably going to break some craft files, expect something like this for old files :

screenshot11.png

X-20 need to be remade, but i also include new updated craft files

V1.1 is online : Download

cgAZ3kF.png

Ж-20 "Moroz" Spaceplane - 1.1 [2019-05-23]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Adapter 1.875 Texture Update
    - New Folder / Path for the Mod
    - New 1.25 Butt Adapter (Variant)
    - New "Sanger" Cockpit
    - Cost/entryCost Balance
    - Fix Manufacturer in Config
    - CrashTolerance Review
    - MaxTemp reduced to 3500 Max
    - TechTree Review
    - Fix on the Wings 3d Model
    - Fix of the Butt Texture (normals)
    - Fix of Cockpit Texture (normals)
    - Texture DDS Conversion
    - New White variant
    - New Brown Variant for the Adapter

Edited by Well

11 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

(Why do i Always include suggestions)

Cool update! :) (note i havent played it YET)

so is there any changes for modular wing-like system for Wings?

Sorry i'm not sure i understand what you ask

I don't have planned to add more wings if it's what you ask.

I can't have wings with one side black and one side white, because that only one part symetric.

An idea is to put 4 wing (2 clipped on top), of course that add lift, maybe weird, but that something we could build easy that work fine like that :

screenshot1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Well said:

I can't have wings with one side black and one side white, because that only one part symetric.

An idea is to put 4 wing (2 clipped on top), of course that add lift, maybe weird, but that something we could build easy that work fine like that :

There are ways in cfgs to make parts mirror symmetrically. Then all you need to do is have the top half the white wing mesh and the bottom half the dark wing mesh.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

There are ways in cfgs to make parts mirror symmetrically. Then all you need to do is have the top half the white wing mesh and the bottom half the dark wing mesh.

Thanks, i probably need to test that to be sure. For now i can't make them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.