Need a mod with fixed/static fairing sizes.

Geonovast

I'm trying to find a mod that has pre-set fairing sizes, like how it's done in real life.  I want the size of the payloads to be restricted by the inner dimensions of the fairings, and to be forced to launch with a fairing that's hilariously too big for the payload (like Starman).

Not having any luck searching.  Googling for fixed fairing sizes just brings up threads of the hilarious broken fairing textures a few versions back.  Static fairing sizes somehow got me to KWRocketry, which act the same as stock fairings,  Procedural Fairings, which is the exact opposite of what I want, and Zero Point Fairings, which despite the Spacedock page listing it as updated for 1.6.1, the parts aren't loading for me in 1.7.0, and it's expressly stated that they don't protect from drag anyway in stock.  (Needs FAR or NEAR).

So does anyone know of any mod that provides pre-set fairing parts that occlude their payload correctly in stock?  The fairing being actual parts that I can attach stuff too would be fantastic.

This thing from BDB is pretty close, but I'd like it more like a fairing, not a nose cone.

363screenshot223.png

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I know before fairings were stock, old, and I mean OLD versions of KW had fixed clamshell fairings.    It may or may not till work as it was just a parts pack.  

When did fairings become stock?

@Barzon Kerman That looks ideal, since it's individual parts that I may be able to attach stuff like parachutes to, the parts are not loading for me in 1.7.0.

@Stone Blue That's nearly exactly what I wanted!  Thank you!  I was hoping to able to recover the fairings, but that wasn't huge.  This should do nicely.

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

ehhhhh..... .22ish?

Wow.. that's quite a way back.

Luckily SAF seems to hit the spot. 

I couldn't even find a version of KW that was older than 1.1.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I couldn't even find a version of KW that was older than 1.1

Yeah, it was abandoned by the original creators a long time ago, that thread might be lost to the depths.....

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

When did fairings become stock?

I'm pretty sure it was 1.0, when the atmosphere changed to make them useful.

I'm working on a mod idea (that will likely never see the light of day as I'm both not playing a lot and am not a very good modder :P ) where things start super expensive and get cheaper as you use them. It'd be cool if the first use of a specific fairing (saved as a sub-assembly) was like 100 times the cost or more, then subsequent uses were normal cost.

Then you could (and must) design your own fairings, but in most every single case it's better to use an already designed one over making a new one.

In the meantime, you could do the enforcing yourself. Make a few fairings per size, save them as sub-assemblies, and then use the janitor's closet to remove the fairings from the part list :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.