Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This is a simple but yet complicated challenge, Land on Minmus and back, but you do it multiple times in the same spacecraft. It is a hard challenge and I wanna see what people come with.

RULES:

You must do the mission in a single launch

No clipping parts

No mining

No cheats (No infinite fuel, Low/No gravity, etc.)

Liquid, Ion, solid, and jet engines are allowed

You must have at least one kerbal on the ship and return him alive.

Must be a direct assent mission (No leaving an external fuel tank in orbit)

Most importantly: Have fun!

RANKS:

Normal: Land on Minmus and return to Kerbin twice

Intermediate: Land on Minmus and return to Kerbin 3 times

Hard: Land on Minmus and return to Kerbin 5 times

Expert: Impress me

 

Good luck and have fun with the Challenge!

I wonder if Matt Lowne will do this challenge? If he does I wonder what he would make.

 

Edited by VictoryNeverFail
I took the no SSTO rule out because people were confused by it. You can use an SSTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your engine rules seem to imply that basic liquid fueled rocket engines and nukes aren't allowed?

No SSTO's seems like an odd rule for a repeatable mission that allows jet engines as well?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I was not specific with the rules. liquid fuels engines are of course allowed. As for mods, I'm only allowing Kerbal engineer. And also making history and breaking ground expansions is allowed. And the reason SSTO's are banned is to make the challenge a lot harder. Sorry, once again for not being specific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

Sorry, I was not specific with the rules. liquid fuels engines are of course allowed. As for mods, I'm only allowing Kerbal engineer. And also making history and breaking ground expansions is allowed. And the reason SSTO's are banned is to make the challenge a lot harder. Sorry, once again for not being specific.

Not a problem, no need to apologize, it's your challenge after all.

I was just curious if that's what you meant to say by only listing those engines as allowed.

I still think the SSTO rule is a bit odd though, and hard to enforce potentially; they could just stage something silly off one time at the launch pad and it's not technically an "SSTO" anymore. By the same token though, people should be well behaved off enough to follow the "spirit" of the rules instead of the letter. Best of luck! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

And the reason SSTO's are banned is to make the challenge a lot harder.

I think you need to specify what you mean by SSTO.  A SSTO is just 'Single Stage to Orbit'.  A lot of my medium lift rockets are SSTO, and it would be fairly trivial (but expensive and inefficient) to make a SSTO heavy lifter.   If you mean space plane, then you should specify that.  A space plane with drop tanks is not a SSTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think you need to specify what you mean by SSTO.  A SSTO is just 'Single Stage to Orbit'.  A lot of my medium lift rockets are SSTO, and it would be fairly trivial (but expensive and inefficient) to make a SSTO heavy lifter.   If you mean space plane, then you should specify that.  A space plane with drop tanks is not a SSTO

To be specific, you can use a space plane to get a space craft out of the atmosphere, but that's it, you can't use the space plane to get into an orbit of any kind (except a sub orbital trajectory around Kerbin), land on Minmus, or return to Kerbin from Minmus. Other then that, A space plane is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

To be specific, you can use a space plane to get a space craft out of the atmosphere, but that's it, you can't use the space plane to get into an orbit of any kind (except a sub orbital trajectory around Kerbin), land on Minmus, or return to Kerbin from Minmus. Other then that, A space plane is fine. 

Almost forgot, you can use a single stage/booster to get a space craft into orbit as long it's:

1. Only used to get into an orbit around Kerbin

2. Launches from a launch pad, not a runway.

Also, space shuttles are allowed and can land on the runway, as long as it follows to two rules above.

Edited by VictoryNeverFail
Misspelled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you have to stage something off every time you launch into Kerbin orbit, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

So you have to stage something off every time you launch into Kerbin orbit, yes?

That's one of many ways you can do the mission, yes

 

So, a lot of people are confused about the no SSTO rule so you are allowed to use SSTOs.I did the challenge and it's hard enough with SSTOs. So SSTOs and space planes are allowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you were to do SSTO, if you want to win the challenge a stageable rocket gets you a lot further anyway, so why choose a SSTO in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

Even if you were to do SSTO, if you want to win the challenge a stageable rocket gets you a lot further anyway, so why choose a SSTO in the first place?

Idk. Maybe it's easier for them. Or they are trying to do the impress me challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

I guess no one is trying the challenge :(

Actually..., I might take a try

I already have a small Duna^3-style rocket rocket capable of Minmus, now I need a launch vehicle to lift it to Minmus and back, and replace the solar panels and stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TM31D2475 said:

Actually..., I might take a try

I already have a small Duna^3-style rocket rocket capable of Minmus, now I need a launch vehicle to lift it to Minmus and back, and replace the solar panels and stuff...

Good luck with it!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 6:13 PM, VictoryNeverFail said:

Good luck with it!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

This is the official unofficial entry, because it has a SINGLE modded part.




MlphmMS.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TM31D2475 said:

This is the official unofficial entry, because it has a SINGLE modded part.




MlphmMS.png 

Only Stock unmodded parts are allowed, but I love the design!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now