Logging feedback items to the bug tracker

[Moderator note:  The OP and first several posts herein were split from another thread, since it's more of a topic in its own right]

On 5/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, seyss said:

After 4 pages of ppl commenting on this issue, Squad didn't even reply to this post! Great motivation you give us!

With respect... The dev's read the forum, as do most all of us... when we have time. 

If you want clouds added to the game... or anything for that matter... write up a feedback report, and ask people to vote for it. That will get their attention.

Edited by Just Jim

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

With respect... The dev's read the forum, as do most all of us... when we have time. 

But this is not how to go about it.

If you want clouds added to the game... or anything for that matter... write up a feedback report, and ask people to vote for it. That will get their attention.

Hold up -

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

But this is not how to go about it.

So...I should have been using the feedback section and not the suggestion section for suggestions all this time?  How silly of me.

30 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

So...I should have been using the feedback section and not the suggestion section for suggestions all this time?  How silly of me.

I'm not sure what you mean... what feedback section???

What I meant is someone just write up a feedback report on the tracker

"I think clouds should be added to the game"

It should only take 5 minutes, or less

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp/issues

Then post something in here along the lines of

"I just wrote up a feedback to add clouds... please up-vote if you're interested."

I don't think I'm allowed to say much more than that... but please understand, I'm not trying to be snarky... really. I'm just trying to help.

Edited by Just Jim

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I'm not sure what you mean... what feedback section???

What I meant is someone just write up a feedback report on the tracker

"I think clouds should be added to the game"

It should only take 5 minutes, or less

Then post something in here along the lines of

"I just wrote up a feedback to add clouds... please up-vote if you're interested."

I don't think I'm allowed to say much more than that... but please understand, I'm not trying to be snarky... really. I'm just trying to help.

Hold up, how would one access so said feedback section. And don’t make me go back and quote you from one of your previous posts.

Oh, gotcha, I play EE so I don’t know the names of mods.

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

Hold up, how would one access so said feedback section. And don’t make me go back and quote you from one of your previous posts.

That's what I was saying... there is no feedback section on the forum that I know of???

But if i wasn't clear about my last post about writing a feedback report, it's just the same as writing up a bug report, but you use the drop-down menu to switch the word Bug to Feedback.

Edited by Just Jim

On 5/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, Just Jim said:

I told you that it didn’t have to come thus far but you’ve forced it so here. How does one access the report?

Edited by Mikenike

21 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I told you that it didn’t have to come thus far but you’ve forced it so here. How does one access the report?

Forced??? No, nothing is forced. I know it might not be terribly clear to someone who hasn't done a report before, and I'm happy to help in anyway I can. That's part of my job

First go to this link... this is the Bug-tracker... or just "Tracker" for short

From here look for a little + sign on the upper right hand side. That brings up the menu to start a new issue... hit "New Issue"

CPTOS3y.png

Once you have a new report. the first field is how you change it from a bug to a feedback report

jfNukYZ.png

Then just fill in the starred fields... FYI: for category just find the one that seems closest... 

And put in a description of what you think should be added, and why...

Hope that helps

Edited by Just Jim

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I know it might not be terribly clear to someone who hasn't done a report before, and I'm happy to help in anyway I can. That's part of my job...

Might I suggest that this post be split off and stuck at the top of the Suggestions section?

36 minutes ago, razark said:

Might I suggest that this post be split off and stuck at the top of the Suggestions section?

That would be a moderator decision, but I have no objection if y'all think it would help

55 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Thank you Mr @Just Jim . Ima go write a report.

Hey do I need to register to use this or does it come with the forum account. Help me I am dumb.

I honestly don't remember for sure... it's been a long time. But you might have to register, yeah

The bug tracker requires setting up an account, and I believe that's separate from the forums.

Note that the bug tracker has been publicly available to players pretty much since forever, and the logging of feedback items has been available there, too.

There's nothing wrong with players logging feedback suggestions, there-- but it's not exactly a replacement for the Suggestions forum here, either.  If you're a player, and you log a feedback item, then that may make it somewhat more visible to the Squad folks than items here-- but, by the same token, you'll make it a lot less visible to the player base, since most forum users are not in the habit of routinely scanning the bug tracker for items to upvote or comment on.

My observation has been that the player suggestions most likely to get traction from Squad are the ones that have a lot of players behind them-- and you may have more luck with a forum thread, if you're trying to build popular support.

I think it all comes down to where people spend most of their time.  Forum users spend more time reading the forums than looking at the bug tracker.  I would guess that for most Squad folks, it would be the other way around.  So when someone has an idea, it's up to them to decide which venue they think would be the most effective vehicle for getting their point across.

(Nor does it necessarily have to be an either-or kind of scenario-- it's always possible to start a thread here, then make a feedback item that links to it and vice versa.)

This suggestions forum and the bug-tracker are very different contexts. 

+ This forum is a rather friendly (especially as internet forums go) place to talk about a suggestion and clarify what people want.

+ The bug-tracker is a more procedural environment to log definite suggestions in a way that can be rigorously tested by QA.  One dev who reads the forums says devs don't read the tracker, and we often to run into frustration typical of corporate processes.

The top vote-getting suggestions on the tracker are rather straightforward changes.   The top vote-getters are mostly those that got attention since the voting method was announced about six months ago, in which time some have been implemented.
20745 Make 1.25m parts have consistent mating-face diameters 
17912 Unlock Personal Parachutes with a Building Upgrade (instead of Kerbal Experience)
21006 Add "Warp to maneuver" button (in flight-view as well) [done for map-view in 1.7]
21314 Add a 1.25m Engine Plate
17928 Buff Mk2 Lander Can to compete with the new Mk1-3 Pod [done]
19076 Adjust some M.H. engine specs to balance better with other KSP engines [done]
17875 Adjust colliders on stack-separators/decouplers to match their visible shape
17286 Solution for the Click-Through problem (working example linked)

I think the best way to make use of both the Suggestions subforum and the official bugtracker is a two-pronged approach:

• Use the Suggestions subforum to pitch your ideas, discuss it with fellow users and hash out the details
  • After a while, submit the idea as feedback on the official bugtracker, containing a summary/consensus of what was discussed in the forums

19 minutes ago, sumghai said:

After a while, submit the idea as feedback on the official bugtracker, containing a summary/consensus of what was discussed in the forums 

And it might be a good idea to include a link to the forum thread in that summary.  The devs might want to take a deeper look at an idea, and you never know what comment in a thread might trigger a light bulb for them. 

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

And it might be a good idea to include a link to the forum thread in that summary.  The devs might want to take a deeper look at an idea, and you never know what comment in a thread might trigger a light bulb for them. 

Indeed.

In fact, cross posting links between both the forum thread and the bugtracker issue would be beneficial to forum users, too. Users can then upvote the feedback on the bugtracker, and increase the likelihood devs take issues into consideration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.