A simple feature addition - Brakes Deployability Button

We've all done it, we're loading up a vessel on the runway and we get called away so we leave the game. When we come back, our plane is either in the field off the runway, down near the end, or worse, in the water, sometimes with broken parts. 

So my suggestion, add a button that lets you deploy the brakes in the hanger, or change the default to brakes are deployed upon loading. 

And I know you can just undeploy the wheels in the hanger and the plane would sit still, but I've had stuff break a few times when making the plane stand up from the ground. Also, there's a chance the kraken could strike and make the plane bounce 25 feet into the air before falling on it's side and destroying a wing. 

Edited by GoldForest

Yes, I know this is a suggestion for the stock game but I'm going to be the bad guy to say: there is a mod for this, at least for the brakes. It's called "QuickBrake" and is part of the "Quick Mods" collection (you don't need to install the whole collection).

Despite this, it would be indeed a nice addtition to the stock game :)

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Uhhh..have you tried hitting the "Escape" key before walking away?

Seems like the easiest solution.

That's always been my solution.

Uhhh..have you tried hitting the "Escape" key before walking away?

Seems like the easiest solution.

11 minutes ago, Snark said:

That's always been my solution.

During a loading screen? Where I cant pause when I have to walk away?

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

We've all done it, we're loading up a vessel on the runway and we get called away so we leave the game. When we come back, our plane is either in the field off the runway, down near the end, or worse, in the water, sometimes with broken parts.

I had this problem for a while, too. What I do is always press <ESC> if I find myself needing to leave the computer before I've done the launch.  The more mods you add, the slower you'll cause your game to run. I'd rather use the system resources to focus on making the planet look more aesthetically pleasing.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No, you have to wait until the craft is actually on the runway. :)

"Stock" solution 2: Start all the landing gear retracted. It won't be going anywhere sitting on it's belly.

OP addressed this. 

I'd like to see the brakes on by default. Real aircraft start with the parking brake on after all. 

Another stock workaround: attach one or more launch clamps.

It works even better than pre-deployable brakes, because craft on brakes will sometimes still bounce/skid from their starting position.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Either I just wait to launch and stay paused in the SPH, or else I'm already on the runway and I just hit ESC.

The scenario where a sudden overwhelming personal emergency suddenly arises unexpectedly during the three or four seconds I'm in the loading screen between SPH and runway, which is so urgent that I can't just wait a couple of seconds until I'm on the runway and then hit ESC, has never come up for me, even once. ;)

And even if it did, and tragedy resulted... I'd just hit "revert to SPH" upon returning to my computer. But honestly, it's never come up.

5 hours ago, Snark said:

The scenario where a sudden overwhelming personal emergency suddenly arises unexpectedly during the three or four seconds I'm in the loading screen between SPH and runway, which is so urgent that I can't just wait a couple of seconds until I'm on the runway and then hit ESC, has never come up for me, even once. ;)

Yeah sure that works for you. But you leave reverts on, don't fly 800 part planes, don't use every single visual mod out there and probably don't even play KSP on a Chromebook.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.