Chernobyl (HBO)

tater

Yeah, I've been really impressed. They take some artistic liberties as @Cydonian Monk mentions, but in the after show (they have a podcast as well), they explain them.

10 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Holey bubbling sluice water cliffhanger in the second episode!

2 of the divers were in fact in the military, but still cool. It's just so very well done.

Also:

https://leatherbarrowa.exposure.co/chernobyl

Just now, adsii1970 said:

I'm on the fence about it. I was living in Hanau, West Germany when it blew. There was considerable panic when it happened. I've held off watching the series...

It's pretty good. It's really about the response (bad, as well as good). The idiots who didn't listen from the start, the well-meaning temporizing that made it worse, and the willing sacrifice of people willing to literally do suicide missions to prevent it from being worse. Acting is great.

Fun fact. Chemist Valery Legasov was a professor and chair of the Division of Radiochemistry and Chemical Technology at the Chemistry Department of Moscow State University. I graduated at the same department of the same university and now work in the building next door to the division he was administrating. He is legendary here.

1 hour ago, tater said:

2 of the divers were in fact in the military, but still cool. It's just so very well done.

I don't really mind artistic liberties. The overall story seems to check out.

42 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

*sigh* of course I don't get that channel. I may have to sign up to CraveTV, or use more nefarious methods

Ditto. There's so much on streaming these days, and we watch so little TV anyway, we just don't see the point in paying a ton of money for premium stuff. Maybe it will wind up on Netflix some day.

with the way game of thrones is ending im not sure i would trust another hbo series. 

of course i was wrong about the expanse. which i avoided because of how repetitious that space opera had gotten, and yet it has turned out to be one of my favorite space shows. 

Edited by Nuke

Yes, long ago, in the USSR, the light was green all day long, like in Fallout 3.

Auntie Ulya is probably a time traveller. No such character in the past found.

Upd.
2..4 Mt explosion due to a steam pressure? (s01e02, 00:50).

Edited by kerbiloid

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

with the way game of thrones is ending im not sure i would trust another hbo series. 

We know how this turns out.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I assumed they were talking about radioisotope dispersion not blast (but yeah, they could have been more clear). As it was the accident released a couple hundred times the fallout of Hiroshima, right?

"Compared with other nuclear events: The Chernobyl explosion put 400 times more radioactive material into the Earth's atmosphere than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima; atomic weapons tests conducted in the 1950s and 1960s all together are estimated to have put some 100 to 1,000 times more radioactive material into the atmosphere than the Chernobyl accident." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Chernobyl_and_other_radioactivity_releases#Chernobyl_compared_with_an_atomic_bomb

Hiroshima was a single instance of explosion, with all the radioactive material consumed near-instantly, while Chernobyl slowly emanated their radioactive material over the course of days by convection. The latter is larger when summed up as a whole, but not by the rate at which it was dispersing.

Things Chernobyl;

This was on the news recently, a new 'video game' if you want to call it that.  You remotely drive real RC cars through a Chernobyl city creation, post catastrophe.  Of what I saw on the news, you pay for an hour's worth of real-time drive time.  Pretty interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/remotegames/game-with-remote-controlled-robots-over-internet

Edit:
The site also mentions their next goal, which is a Mars environment of the same idea... driving rovers real-time in a simulated Mars environment. :cool:

Edited by LordFerret

19 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm on the fence about it. I was living in Hanau, West Germany when it blew. There was considerable panic when it happened. I've held off watching the series...

Well, let me calm you down.

In May 1986, the level of radionuclide exposure for children was raised about by 33 times.

?uri=CELEX:31986R1707&from=DE

On 5/15/2019 at 6:41 AM, kerbiloid said:

Upd.

About that. While the number itself was slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect it wasn't necessarily wrong. The short-term release of energy would be in that ballpark, but also not instantaneous such as a single detonation event. It also wasn't just the number for a steam explosion - it was for a somewhat smaller steam explosion resulting in a cascade event ending with loss of control and potential explosion of the other three functioning cores; the combined effect of which would be in the several megaton range.

Think about how many windows broke due to the relatively tiny Chelyabinsk meteor, that was in the 500 kiloton range. The initial damage probably would not have been much more severe than that in Minsk and/or Kiev even up to ~4 megaton, if you ignore all the radioactive fallout.

There was some discussion over on reddit with the show runner about this point (I don't recall the specific discussion or I'd link to it). From a technical point of view it's a good catch; general audience would just gloss their eyes over it.

Edited by Cydonian Monk
Edit: Changed two reactors to three.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.