KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - D3 Weather Analyzer

St4rdust

8 minutes ago, Challyss said:

Any hints about the game play ?

Hints: "Please allow trained Scientists to deploy for best results. Needs a deployed power unit & central station to operate".

Based on the screenshot for the other science experiment they've shown, I would be willing to bet that the "Requires an Atmosphere" would be a green check for this "Weather Analyzer."

Spoiler

technical.png.6e7e20dd4c23344d8159eaa7a1

4 hours ago, micha said:

Looking awesome! :)

But PLEASE let these be generic (ie, possible to build using standard solar panels or whatever) and not -have- to be the new special Surface Science parts.

It might be a question of how long these need to run. If its a day or 3 players might be inclined to set up a few experiments with a deployable pv panel then move on with the main vessel to set up more experiments at a second or third site and cycle back to retrieve them when they’re done (or more full). Though if players were meant to set these up near a more permanent science station it might be simpler to allow experiments to optionally draw power off nearby vessels. I’m not sure what the preferred behavior should be?

Perhaps they could gather science at a set rate but the max collection value (and hence max duration) would be set by science multipliers. That would be an easy way to scale not just experiment values but also deployment durations to more distant moons and planets. It would also provide a sensible time-out so you couldn't time warp to infinite science. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

4 hours ago, micha said:

Looking awesome! :)

But PLEASE let these be generic (ie, possible to build using standard solar panels or whatever) and not -have- to be the new special Surface Science parts.

Based on what we've seen so far it looks like you won't get your wish.

So far we've seen a portable panel that looks nothing like the ship mounted ones, and references to "science power".

FTR I personally don't mind either way.

It also looks like there will be special parts for power unit and central hub.  The science part will only work in proximity.  

Jumping to conclusions does thus mean a planetary base part but also proximity based resource transfer?

Peace.

22 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

It also looks like there will be special parts for power unit and central hub.

This is what I have been able to make out between the text based teasers and the pics they've put up:

HjUcAq5.png

So thats 3 deployable science experiments that require "power units", and the boom arm one we've seen on rovers (which I'm thinking is the only thing thats going to interact with the new surface features, save for maybe a Kerbal doing a traditional surface sample while standing next to or on them).

Edited by klesh

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Based on what we've seen so far it looks like you won't get your wish.

So far we've seen a portable panel that looks nothing like the ship mounted ones, and references to "science power".

FTR I personally don't mind either way.

Yep, that's my understanding too, hence the request :)

Some players may want to just deploy a (set of) science experiments in the middle of nowhere, for which these standalone parts are perfect.

But others may wish to set them up near a more permanent base, in which case running them off base-resources makes a lot more sense.  And using a Science Lab as a proxy for the "Central Station" in that case also makes more sense.

Considering they've got magical nearby resource sharing implemented for these science parts why not just extend it and make it generic, which opens up the build possibilities for everything?

Aka.. "Simple Logistics"

39 minutes ago, micha said:

Considering they've got magical nearby resource sharing implemented for these science parts why not just extend it and make it generic, which opens up the build possibilities for everything?

If that's right then maybe a mod will convert the magical science energy to 'actual kerbal' EC...  that may be kerbalism's on the ground base answer to nuke radiation...

Peace.

2 hours ago, klesh said:

This is what I have been able to make out between the text based teasers and the pics they've put up:

So thats 3 deployable science experiments that require "power units", and the boom arm one we've seen on rovers (which I'm thinking is the only thing thats going to interact with the new surface features, save for maybe a Kerbal doing a traditional surface sample while standing next to or on them).

I wonder if there isn't also a craft storage container for these experiments and associated kit?

I seem to recall one of the devs mentioning something about one. Plus, how else will the experiments get into the Kerbal's backpack? 

Since we're all going to contract a severe case of Speculitis Hypothesus before we get any straightforward simple answers or solid info let me add some nice rocket grade fuel to the fire.

Look at the bottom of that RTG in the screenshot, seems to be more like it's placed on top of a structural panel exceedingly similar to the SP-S06 structural panel from Making History, now it's not the same panel but the size and design are too similar for that to be purely coincidental. Could this mean we finally get some more potent RTGs than the weak sauce ones we currently have to add by the dozens to drive a rover over a tiny hill, and these are mountable just like the old crappy ones - AND there is already a way to connect base-power to the "wireless" experiments?

As for "wireless magic" we're talking a short enough distance here that there actually are real life ways to transfer power without extreme energy loss. I'm unsure if magnetic induction works at the distance displayed and it would probably mess with the equipment in a horrible way but beams of microwaves and radiowaves can "easily" be used, in which case the portable experiments need a receiver and we have the solar panel that comes with a transmitter and there is a transmitter that can be stuck to a base to share that power as well, which is what the RTG uses.

Also no I expect my assumptions to be wrong, they're fan fiction more than proper explanations but hey I'm frustrated by the order and pace the official information is shared so yeah, killing time and dampening annoyance with a single post.

39 minutes ago, Rejected Spawn said:

As for "wireless magic" we're talking a short enough distance here that there actually are real life ways to transfer power without extreme energy loss.

I'm hoping that not only is this what happens here but it bleeds over to the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

I think that the "RTG" is actually it's own experiment because  of the way that the side bits are divided into lot's of seperate bits. btw, is it weird that the device on the far right doesn't have stilts?

No it looks like that on NASA's spacecrafts

1 hour ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

I think that the "RTG" is actually it's own experiment because  of the way that the side bits are divided into lot's of seperate bits. btw, is it weird that the device on the far right doesn't have stilts?

No, those are the radiator vanes normally seen on RTGs, and no, that's presumably a seismometer, it's meant to sit on the ground to work and doesn't need stilts.

3 hours ago, klesh said:

Also from the video, this appears to be some form of cargo backpack replacing the parachute.  Presumably this is what the experiments are put in for the Kerbal inventory:

B5YaBwn.png

Must be bigger on the inside.

Funny how everyone likes picking on the kerbal personal inventory while nobody whines about their avatar in Minecraft stuffing a couple thousand tons of rock and a bucket of fresh lava in their 2D pocket and casually JUMPING around... Seriously though I find it ridiculous to go on and on about this topic when barely any game in history has solved "NPC carrying stuff visibly" in a satisfying way, because it's not anywhere near as easy to make it work as you seem to think. To make the gameplay experience smooth you can't really enforce realism at every single turn either, one would think long time gamers should be better at keeping this in mind.

"+1 it's fine as is" from me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.