KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics

St4rdust

Breaking Ground: Robotic Parts. Brand new robotics parts will add a whole new level of creativity to your craft. What do you have in mind? Craft by  @Lupi

Sweet! Can´t wait.

And I have so many questions. How much electrical power do these functions draw?  How much force can they apply? Is that ore tank in the GIF full or empty?

Keep up the awesome work guys. :)

Edited by KerrMü

Awesome sauce.  But with a side order of clipping :)

Questions of high importance:

If a crew capsule is manipulated with a hinge, will the IVA view move as well?

Can they be set to rotate freely?  If so, how does timewarp work?

Thank you!

Edited by theJesuit

Just now, Ahres said:

Now that is art.

Personally, I can't stop thinking about folding satellites up into fairings!

Right?! I tried that with the little hinges built from stock parts, but could never get it to work properly.... Lots of RUDs in orbit.

Two big implications I am looking forward to:

1. Base building becomes much easier when you have robotics to take modular parts and put them together.  Really helps the docking ports line up.
  2. Unfolding segments tucked together inside a fairing.  Landers become much safer when I can have several beams extend out to ensure the landing legs are widely spaced, a design that is much more difficult to get out of the atmosphere otherwise.

A modding-related question - would the API support motion in discrete increments?

e.g. A modder may want to make a turntable that only turns in 45 or 90 degree steps each time a button is pressed, or a linear actuator that extends in steps of 0.5m

Very happy to see they made docking ports on movables work (IR last i checked goes all kraken).

That said, im most excited to have truly articulated weaponry that isnt stuck facing whatever way it was build in VAB

QHODA3K.png

My orbital defense gun will be able to turn and face targets if all goes to plan :o (not that its truly necessary as it fires guided shells, but itll add a major degree of immersion)...

It's not quite hoses, but refuelling stations can be a LOT more universal now, using almost the exact system in this video.

Rover deployment can be a lot less 'drop and hope'.

Being able to put slightly more complex stuff inside smaller fairings will be nice. (Landers that can deploy to be wider and more stable!)

Judging by the earlier screenshots, stock bearings that are still attached to the craft will be REALLY nice for planes on non-oxygen planets.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this pack :)

Edited by Jimmidii

I so want to see what the UI looks like to control this. :)

Is it something that you script together in the VAB? or use various key combos in flight? It would have to be pretty flexible, I'm hoping it's an intuitive interface or keybinding.

Or is there something on screen that lets you control the axes of movement?

Regardless, looks super-cool and can't wait to try 'em!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.