KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics

St4rdust

wow, that hinge is tiny between the two ibeams. Good Job. Thought they were all going to be clunky things

Though....Cutting the docking between vehicle and the load from the video...

Edited by Anth12

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Mandatory “we don’t need this, there’s a mod for that” post. --

That awkward moment when - for the first time in the recorded history of our planet - not even "those people" show up to whine. Rather epic proof this DLC is a boatload of dreams served on a silver plate... with a reasonable admission fee for a lifetime to frolic in the new section of our beloved amusement park called KSP.

7 hours ago, KerrMü said:

Sweet! Can´t wait.

And I have so many questions. How much electrical power do these functions draw?  How much force can they apply? Is that ore tank in the GIF full or empty?

Keep up the awesome work guys. :)

Full! All... 3.5? tons of it. plus the weight of the i-beam feet and docking port.

[snip]

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Is there going to be only hinges and rotary plates? Or will we get extending arms/rails as well?

The "scorpion" from the first pictures set when they announced this appears to have pistons that can extend. So yes, we should have some extending parts.

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

The "scorpion" from the first pictures set when they announced this appears to have pistons that can extend. So yes, we should have some extending parts.

I hope there's some rail parts too, because that means I can build a Mobile Transporter for my space station's robotic arm.

I hope there are some rotating parts that rotate on both ends, for the purposes of making centrifuges. I'd like 1 part rather than : spinning plate, structural part to attach things to :counter rotating spinning plate.

I hadn't thought about rail parts, that would be cool: a part of a fixed length, but something moves up and down the length of it...

Very nice! Those robotic parts will open up a whole new dimension of KSP. As well as whole new routines to raise the Kraken, but hey. I didn't expect to see a certain bug that I personally thought very likely to occur much more often with the introduction of robotic parts in the very first video. But on the positive side, it hopefully means it will get more attention and therefore be fixed one day. The benefits still outweigh the costs by orders of magnitude in this case. More of that please.

Edited by Vycma

13 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Brand new robotics parts will add a whole new level of creativity to your craft.

Two words: "Sweet!" and "Finally". I thought robotics was on the "do not suggest" list?

At last, a hype train worth boarding... Assuming the rest of the game works properly of course. I wonder how it will compare to IR.

[snip]

Now... for some on-topic thoughts...  I consider this latest DLC to be extremely encouraging.  I look forward to buying it when it is available.  Well done @SQUAD!  Also, I fear that I will continually pay for this with many 1000's of hours of my leisure time,  and I politely agree with @Pthigrivi

10 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

robot parts are effing sweet

@St4rdust:Can we see anything regarding the UI for these robotic parts?  If not, no worries as this DLC will be out rather soon. If it was already shared elsewhere, then my apologies.

Who among you dares to predict how many players will start their DLC usage by building a working SIVb shroud? Ha!

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

17 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Two words: "Sweet!" and "Finally". I thought robotics was on the "do not suggest" list?

At last, a hype train worth boarding... Assuming the rest of the game works properly of course. I wonder how it will compare to IR.

Ya, Robotics where quite a surprise, right?!

Would you personally consider getting it even with the stick issue unresolved?? I was convinced you'd be adamant up until I saw that DLC. Hard to resist, that one.

Regardless, its nice to see more of you again around here.

Just now, Dafni said:

Would you personally consider getting it even with the stick issue unresolved??

Difficult, most difficult. I guess if I keep my heels firmly entrenched over that input regression, I could just use IR... Then again, I have had many issues with IR in the past, and I do want to see what SQUADs solution is like... Hmm, have to think one on that a while.

5 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Difficult, most difficult. I guess if I keep my heels firmly entrenched over that input regression, I could just use IR... Then again, I have had many issues with IR in the past, and I do want to see what SQUADs solution is like... Hmm, have to think one on that a while.

Who could hold it against you? And we could comfort ourselves with the idea that the 15 bucks go towards fixing the base game too.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

"Do not suggest" =/= "Will not implement."

True, though it could mean that, no distinction was made in the list I'm referring to.
My reaction was more to the fact that this is a major feature that radically changes the game, and one that has been wanted by virtually everyone for as long as I can remember with no apparent interest from the devs.
I guess I assumed from that that it was firmly in the "much complicated, make many bug" bin, Dog knows IR has had it's share of thorny problems over the years.

I'm glad it's finally happened, some forewarning would have been nice, but whatever, it's here.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Oh, you're right, I missed that. 

im really looking forward to making stock BFR/Starship-esque crafts with huge articulated control surfaces, spirit/opportunity-style drop pods with actuating petals, falcon 9 style landing legs for landing boosters, deployable gridfins, space stations that can assemble themselves without the need for propellant, rovers that can be packed into a tiny EDL capsule and then unfold, and all of the buggy hijinks that pistons and rotors will inevitably add to the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.