KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics

St4rdust

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

True, though it could mean that, no distinction was made in the list I'm referring to.

I only know of one such list, and it clearly states it at the top.

And that is in fact the outdated version of the new list with a less ambiguous name.

What list did you see?

4 hours ago, Vycma said:

Very nice! Those robotic parts will open up a whole new dimension of KSP. As well as whole new routines to raise the Kraken, but hey. I didn't expect to see a certain bug that I personally thought very likely to occur much more often with the introduction of robotic parts in the very first video. But on the positive side, it hopefully means it will get more attention and therefore be fixed one day. The benefits still outweigh the costs by orders of magnitude in this case. More of that please.

I have the control surfaces fully deployed to be the sides of the truck bed. if I have a spoon moment and roll the thing onto its side, I can invert deploy and they give me enough leverage to right it.

they freak out in the video because the center of mass shifted on the craft (by moving the ore tank), and they automatically figure out how to give control input based on their orientation relative to the CoM.

you can see this for yourself if you want. I've got the rover on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/Lupi/Sockodyne-SR-04-Mountain-Goat

Edited by Lupi

Lupi : can you give us more hints about all the robotic stuff works, i.e. can you say what kind of menus are used to make the parts move, if you have to set them in the vab, etc ? Can you eventually post some screenshots?

Edited by Terensky

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I only know of one such list, and it clearly states it at the top.

"These subjects have been addressed by the developers and will either be implemented at some point or not at all."
Like I said, there's no indication as to which it is. Since there has was no further discussion or announcement until now, I assumed the latter. My bad.

[snip]

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

An enormous amount of material has been removed from this thread.

There is no place anywhere in this forum for bickering, personal attacks, or impugning another user's intelligence.

Let's talk about the DLC and its robotics content.

Let's NOT talk about business models, marketing or management decisions, other games, other game companies, naming conventions for software releases, or how SQUAD should run their business.

This thread is for discussing the new content for KSP which has been previewed here by SQUAD.

You are perfectly welcome to discuss business models and all that other stuff in the Lounge if you like.

Thank you for your understanding,
KSP Moderation Team

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Does anyone know how to control the robotics? I'm guessing RCS controls?

methods have not yet been revealed.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, UomoCapra said:

These parts will include some new control mechanics

[snip]

I’m continually blown away by what designers have come up with without any robotics parts, so I can’t even begin to imagine what we’ll be seeing here in the coming weeks! I’m so excited!

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

A bit more content from various people has been removed, mainly because it was discussing the moderator pruning we just did a few posts ago.

Folks, we know it's well-meant, so nobody's in trouble over that, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss Breaking Ground robotics, not moderation itself.  So please just let it go and move along.  Nothing to see here, citizen, go about your business.  ;)

Thanks!

Do the robotics vary or are they the same part with different variations 

Another question can the robot carry experiments 

One major question regarding these robotic parts, and their potential uses in launch vehicles / landers -- will the 'drag cube system' be updated to accommodate dynamic mesh-based occlusion?

E.G.  If we build a box out of wing panels with one hinged side using robotics, will the contents of the box be shielded from the airstream/drag while the box is closed?

2-second-module-done.png?w=1000&h=

I built a base recently and I was getting ready for the robotics module to launch after I buy the DLC then that skipped my mind; when would it come out

sorry not come out, would it be put in previous updated versions 

I`ve allways struggled to deploy rovers safely from their attachment...

Hinges alone give KSP way more gameplay and realistic means to drop probes (Like NASA does on mars) and unfold any desired construction, it is in my opinion the biggest gamechanger since the MK3 parts and cargobays, which made the forums go nuts with SSTOs, Shuttles and whatnot. Most important and literally the most wanted mechanic feature all over the forums.

Pistons are great for equalizing terrain or any other docking issues on surface, no more frustrating "Oh my gawd, the gravity is different here, port is to low, to high, etc...", quality of life feature, much needed.

And rotation makes KSP finally a mature simulation. Period.

Can`t wait to finally get to Eve and back...  :blush: With legit KSP stockparts! YESSSS! YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!! The sacrifices will end! YESSS!

3 minutes ago, Mikki said:

I`ve allways struggled to deploy rovers safely from their attachment...

Hinges alone give KSP way more gameplay and realistic means to drop probes (Like NASA does on mars) and unfold any desired construction, it is in my opinion the biggest gamechanger since the MK3 parts and cargobays, which made the forums go nuts with SSTOs, Shuttles and whatnot. Most important and literally the most wanted mechanic feature all over the forums.

Pistons are great for equalizing terrain or any other docking issues on surface, no more frustrating "Oh my gawd, the gravity is different here, port is to low, to high, etc...", quality of life feature, much needed.

And rotation makes KSP finally a mature simulation. Period.

Can`t wait to finally get to Eve and back...  :blush: With legit KSP stockparts! YESSSS! YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!! The sacrifices will end! YESSS!

Self leveling landing legs sounds like a good idea for a mod (if it will be possible.)

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

Self leveling landing legs sounds like a good idea for a mod (if it will be possible.)

NFT has such legs, or NFSpacecraft, just in case your`re deeply in mods and looking for them...

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

There was a mod to do that. Unfortunately it was broken when squad updated the wheel code. I was never fixed.

Bye bye mini Claw tugs (except actual space tugs)

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Thinking of challenges; robotics used for landing gear

I already have one in mind:

- Design a transforming SSTO that can launch from SPH, land on one of the crater, walk across, Go to a space station around Mun, move it with the SSTO robot and launch it to KSC, then land on desert landing strip, and walk/swim back to KSC

(would prefer munar launch site so i can do a Kebrin invasion instead)_

Edited by Jestersage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.