Kerbodyne S4-512 tank?

Anybody have any ideas on how to use this behemoth fuel tank? There isn't a single engine or engine cluster (Mammoth) that has the power to lift a stack of these tanks. The Kerbodyne Engine Cluster Adapter Tank doesn't really seem to help as 5 of the engines with enough thrust to get a stack of these into orbit, like the Rhino, don't fit at all. It seems Kerbodyne needs to build an engine (or cluster) that fits these tanks. Hey...they can call it the "Behemoth" engine :D.

I would like to see how others are putting these tanks to use.

Thanks!

Edited by strider3

You can also use a size 4 engine plate at the bottom, and then cover the plate with as many vectors as you can squeeze in. Or similarly with some kind of size 1.5 or size 2 engines.

Apparently I need to do more investigating of KSP 1.6 part options. "Mastodon Engines on the smallest (third) variant"...I had no idea their were size variants in 1.6.  :o

"size 4 engine plate" LOL. Yep...I definitely need to take a closer look at 1.6 parts. Sheesh!

2 hours ago, Victor3 said:

"size 4 engine plate" LOL. Yep...I definitely need to take a closer look at 1.6 parts. Sheesh!

Bearing in mind that it's not a "1.6" part, it's a Making History part.  The engine plates are from there, just as the Mastodon is, and the big fuel tank itself.  ;)

They've all been around since KSP 1.4, when Making History released.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:59 AM, Geonovast said:

The adapter tank is meant to be used with the Mastodon Engines on the smallest (third) variant. 

How about Mainsails? I think they are a little more powerful, but they are only of size 2.5m unlike the 1.8m Mastadons

4 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

How about Mainsails? I think they are a little more powerful, but they are only of size 2.5m unlike the 1.8m Mastadons

Well, the Mastodons are what it was "meant" to work with, for the purpose of Saturn V replica building, as these parts are from Making History.  Obviously you can use whatever engine you want.  Personally I wouldn't use Mainsails for the ugly clipping and possible drag problems.

BTW Mainsails may be about 11% more powerful than the Mastodon, but it's also 20% heavier.

16 Vectors in a 4x4 does nicely, with the four corner ones set on nosecones since they stick out a little. If you want to stick within the tank radius, 12 will fit (well, technically they're about 1% too large, but whatevs) in the arrangement shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_packing_in_a_circle Or you could opt for 8 Vectors round the edge and a bigger central engine. In general the Vector offers the highest thrust/area ratio if you're avoiding clipping engine bells.

For upper stages, 7 Wolfhounds aren't bad. If that's not enough thrust then you'll probably have to use lower-ISP engines (such as more Vectors), though you might be able to make two Rhinos look good. If only we had a tankbuttless Rhino.

And check out SpaceY if you want some more beefy engines.

Thanks to all of you...you are the best!

On 5/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, Snark said:

Bearing in mind that it's not a "1.6" part, it's a Making History part.  The engine plates are from there, just as the Mastodon is, and the big fuel tank itself.  ;)

They've all been around since KSP 1.4, when Making History released.

This is my first go around with "Making History" DLC. I was unaware that it added so many parts and variants of those parts. Cool!

I've done a Mainsail in the middle, and a ring of Reliants/Kodiaks around the outside.  Not as powerful as using Vectors, but much much cheaper.   But that's usually with  side boosters, so could end up underpowered on a single-stack design.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.