Slow download with Steam

munlander1

I have a Dell G7 15. Im downloading onto the 1tb hhd. I am plugged into Ethernet and am getting 202.7 Mbps down with 27.7Mbps up. I was having some issues with a game so I decided to reinstall it.

I was getting speeds <10MB/s. I googled the issue. Following the directions in spoiler, I changed the speed & Duplex of the from auto negotiation to 100 Mbps Full duplex. This made a small difference but speeds leveled out to 11.7MB/s +/- .3. I then removed Mcafee and that yielded virtually no result.

Spoiler

1. Open Network and Sharing Center
2. Open the Properties of the connected adapter
3. Click on Configure
4. Click on the Advanced tab
5. Click on Speed & Duplex
6. Set the Value to the max possible network speed (not Auto Negotiation)
The used setting that worked for me was 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex. 

I checked to see if it was the server location and changed the download region to a closer city. This didn’t result in huge changes (+5MB/s at most)

I additionally checked if steam is up to date and it currently is.

When the connection is new (pausing and restarting download, changing connection, etc.) it starts up at ~66MB/s about a minute later, it’s all the way back at ~15MB/s. This additionally happened out of the blue while down loading where it again went up to ~66MB/s then slowly declines down.

The reason why I created this thread is that I don’t know how it got up to 66MB/s, would start at 66MB/s then drop to a sixth of that. Is that here a setting I need to change, is it a hardware issue, is it Steam’s issue?  Are there troubleshooting options I didn’t do?

Edited by munlander1

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First, what sort of service do you have?  iSP, promised bandwidth, etc.

I have a more local ISP with 500 up/ 500 down and its fiber optics. I've done several Ookla tests and it was always >200 down.

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

second, do you have anything else running on the system?

Just chrome but opening it didn't seem to affect speed. Besides that I had nothing else open. No games, no antivirus either.

Edited by munlander1
Down instead of up

Ok.  Regarding the change you did to the NIC, I was going to say that wasn't a great idea, but since you obviously are connected to a 1gbit switch, it's fine.

Speed tests are fine, but are limited.  You should try something else which would give you a real performance test.

For example, if you were to instal World Of Tanks or World Of Warships, these are free-to-play games, and each install involves downloading over 1 gig of data (the installer is small).  So you can try to install either of these two game for a test.

Another test would be to download a large video from YouTube using Twitch Leecher and download a large VOD from any Twitch streamer.  If you don't know of any, then you can (small plug here) download one of mine, they tend to be 4-6 hours long and between 2 and 4 gig.

If either of these tests show similar download problems, then there might be some throttling going on at the ISP level

21 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

So if I get similar speeds, what would that mean?

Could possible speed issues be server side? How would I know where the issue is?

If you get similar speeds to the Steam download, then it's most likely upstream of you.  At that point, try calling your ISP tech support, could be an issue with the modem or something else

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you get similar speeds to the Steam download, then it's most likely upstream of you.  At that point, try calling your ISP tech support, could be an issue with the modem or something else

Ok, will try it later today. Thanks :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.