Most realistic setup?

pljfpv

Hi guys, 

I'm a casual user of KSP since about 1. 3.something

Back when I started 1.2.2 plus a bunch of mods was the most realistic it could get. Since then, making history came out, physics changed, mods where discontinued, etc. 

If one where to seek the most realistic real solar system experience, is there a mod list to achieve this that has any consensus or could people comment an what deffinately to include and what version of KSP to use? 

Thanx for helping me out, searching didn't answer my question, I hope you can. 

Best regards, 

A n00b

My setup is going for lots of realism.

KSP 1.3.1, because more mods work on it.

RSS, for a real solar system.

RO, obvious one really.

Principia, for proper N-body physics.

I have TAC life support as my ls mod. I think some others might be a bit harder / more realistic though.

I also largely fly my rockets by computer using kOS, this is handy since I have remote tech which makes controlling stuff at distance tricky due to signal delay.

Other stuff: deadly reentry, test flight.

Edited by Flibble

Kerbalism is rather tougher and more realistic than TAC, having radiation and more complex supply chains. 

Ferram Aerospace research is necessary if you want fully realistic aerodynamics; of course, if you only care about rockets, it's not as necessary.

Realism Overhaul (commonly known as RO) is the starting point. It's a collection of mods and configs to make everything much truer to life and add new gameplay challenges. Here's its release thread: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155700-131-145-realism-overhaul-v1250-08-jan-2019/

Be aware that RO is currently, and usually, a few versions behind the latest KSP release. In Steam you can get previous KSP versions as "Betas".

If you're using the CKAN mod manager, it will include recommended (but not strictly required) mods to use with RO, including Real Solar System and TAC Life Support. If you're not using CKAN, remember to add the ones you want.

Thanks for the pointers. 1.4.5 plus RO it is, including all suggestions... now to relearn the game... 

Debating going back to 1.3.1, but not sure if I want to miss making history.. 

Edited by pljfpv

On 5/24/2019 at 8:13 AM, Flibble said:

RO has just had a big update to 1.6.1, you might want to consider moving to that. There's not much reason to run 1.3.1 any more.

Even tho the mod list for 1.3.1 and 1.4.5 is not nearly as long as for 1.6.1?

Realism Overhaul contains a huge selection of realism enhancing mods.
With or without Real Solar System support, this is great for physics realism.

I personally like my game "Kerbally" with the semi-realistic physics.  Realistic enough to learn about the physics theories involved, without being a hardcore simulator.

About the only mod I really like is FAR.  I can't recommend this one enough.  However, watch for mod interactions on it.   Certain mods don't play nice with it well.  That's why I haven't used it in a while.   Maybe when I have some free time I'll revisit it to see if I can get it working with some of my favored mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.