KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Suits

St4rdust

Now you won't lose Kerbals if they're coasting behind a planet. Do you like the glowing seams of the new suit coming to #BreakingGroundExpansion? 

14 minutes ago, St4rdust said:

Now you won't lose Kerbals if they're coasting behind a planet.

Or an accidental eva on the dark side. The first thing I thought seeing this. Very helpful feature, thanks Squad.

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Not sure if I like this one. Sci-fi glowing suits will likely look out of place next to realistic(-ish)-looking rockets and spaceships...

This suit is literally Cosmetic DLC... the one thing thats always justifiably fine for being in paid DLC. It doesn't affect your game to have this or not, if you don't like it, don't pay for it. If you do like it, pay for it. Its just aethesthetical appearance.

EDIT: I know this comes as a larger game affecting package but, like, extra suits are just like Horse Armour of League of Legends skins, does it really matter either way?

Edited by Poodmund

Just now, Poodmund said:

This suit is literally Cosmetic DLC... the one thing thats always justifiably fine for being in paid DLC. It doesn't affect your game to have this or not, if you don't like it, don't pay for it. If you do like it, pay for it. Its just aethesthetical appearance.

They asked my opinion about the glowing suits in the OP, and I gave it. That’s it. I have no problem with them being in the expansion.

"The Krid.  A digital frontier.

I tried to picture clusters of science as they relayed about the kosmos.  What did they look like?  Rockets?  Rovers?   Were the transmissions like Hohmann Transfers?  I kept dreaming of other worlds I thought I'd never see.

Then one day...

... I got in."

hooded_flynn.jpg

Edited by Fearless Son

2 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Do you like the glowing seams of the new suit coming to #BreakingGroundExpansion? 

Tron is one of my favorite movies of all time, and was hugely formative in my youthful adolescence.  So, yeah.  I kind of like them.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Not sure if I like this one. Sci-fi glowing suits will likely look out of place next to realistic(-ish)-looking rockets and spaceships...

KSP is so NOT very realistic unless you limit yourself to real world replicas (or insist on using RO/RSS styled mods).

Tell that to all my vessels i design in KSP, very few of which would even pass as theoretically possible to do IRL:

Armed ground base i made a few weeks ago based vaguely on LC technology in a super old game i used to play.

6kCArV6.png

Redesigned orbital defense cannon i finished last weekend (very very vaguely based on ED orbital defense gun from same game as above thing).

QHODA3K.png

A light support corvette i just made like today.

OHlzJW0.png

And ofc a sorta replica from tron, something i made 2-3 years ago but its totally fitting the theme of this suit (which i cant believe doesnt come in black/dark grey, but i guess i can always install texture replacer and make it actually look the part).

pjAVbjy.png

f1LRo9H.png

The above is vaguely based on this picture more or less:

640?cb=20120303183432.png

436?cb=20120303183514.png

Now i know we all play KSP in our own ways, some people despise sci-fi KSP, and others like myself, have little interest in replicating RL technology (the ONLY thing i will say i try to make realistic is launch vehicles for my smaller capital ships, since many of those are just about light enough that you can stick em on a non-asparagus launcher and still get them to duna without using any onboard fuel).

Also a bit unrelated, but while i never liked tron itself as a movie, i absolutely loved the art behind tron-legacy, i know alot of people call it lame and gimmicky, but i just like the whole dark colors with glowy lines aspect in that movie even if it was pretty bad for other reasons.

Edited by panzer1b

45 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Also a bit unrelated, but while i never liked tron itself as a movie, i absolutely loved the art behind tron-legacy, i know alot of people call it lame and gimmicky, but i just like the whole dark colors with glowy lines aspect in that movie even if it was pretty bad for other reasons.

Hell yeah.

4 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Sci-fi glowing suits will likely look out of place next to realistic(-ish)-looking rockets and spaceships...

Well then it's a good thing we don't have any of those here. 

This is the perfect suit for when you want to strap 3 SLS's together, launch them using an oversized stratolaunch replica that can reach a suborbital trajectory, and fly the whole thing out to Jool and back.

8 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Wait for the „Next Gen Interstellar“ DLC ;)

I like the lighting effects as they are also practical, when controlling a Kerbal in total darkness, besides looking cool.

I'm on the fence with the exact look of the suit but there is one thing about it that delights me greatly: Finally the strangling shackles of real life counterparts have begun to loosen their grip around the creative throats of KSP devs and players.

Not gonna go on some super lengthy rant here, it just feels like this entire DLC is a gust of freedom with a sweet lingering scent of art blowing across the stale swamp that has been dragging everyone down to the waist for so long. Don't get me wrong I do in fact love the more realistic parts of the game and of course any game with the words "space program" in the title should absolutely have its firmest roots in what humanity has been doing in that department, but no matter how you twist and turn this you'll find that rockets in real life are soulless cylinders that spew fire in a curved line and deploy a payload without a single gram of fun aboard - because going to space is EXPENSIVE in the real world so nobody is doing it for fun unlike us. (Yeah I know there's a car out there, but Musk is the only one who gets that space shouldn't be allowed to be as dull and out of reach as it has been.) Do you honestly think for a moment that real world rockets would be anywhere near as boring and single purpose if they were cheap enough that someone other than the odd billionaire could afford to send them out there? What I've longed for is for KSP to not only represent what has been done but also what COULD be done, we are already free to send as many rockets as we want in KSP so why would we have to be limited to sending rockets entirely based on space programs that try to cut every aesthetic corner they possibly can because THEY can't afford sending a single rocket for fun?

Thanks for your time, the next performance will be held whenever I think any audience will bother showing up. \o/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.