KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Suits

St4rdust

10 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Do you like the glowing seams of the new suit

No, to be honest. I'd much prefer a simple beacon light to see where my kerbals are in the dark, leaving the Tron in Tron where it belongs. The glowy scifi aesthetic doesn't really fit with anything else in the game anyway.
So long as this has an off button, I'm sure it will be fine though.

On an unrelated note: This is your official forum, so why are your updates just lazy cut-and-paste from titter? And what's with "#BreakingGroundExpansion"? You do realise that hashtag nonsense doesn't work here, right?

Edited by steve_v
Point out low-effort post of the day.

4 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

I'll prefer face light

That would work too. It's not especially realistic of course, but being able to see at a glance which 'naut is in the suit is pretty handy.

Heh, I was about to comment and ask "Where's the facelight"?

So we'll be able to find our poor little drifting Kerbals, but won't be able to stare into their terrified (or delighted, in Jeb's case) little faces as they arc high above the dark side of a planet?

12 hours ago, tater said:

Now make a toggle to get rid of the parachutes on EVA, they're ridiculous.

Parachute visible only when in atmosphere, and a PAW button to override. Simple and easy. TextureReplacer does this with helmets and it works nicely.
It might lead to some slightly odd "suddenly 'chute" situations, but nothing more incongruous than we have now, strolling about on Mun with a parachute on your back.

Edited by steve_v

Of all the things they are working on... we get glowing suits.  

They seem OK, but frankly I would have appreciated even further improvements in terrain, gameplay, content, etc.  The fact that glowing suits were prioritised for this release demonstrates that the prioritisation procedures are still bit wonky (OH wait! It actually means that the existing prioritisation procedure does not align with MY priorities ;))

This seems more cartoon-ish than reality-based. I'm not against cartoon, but am more on the reality scale - to each their own...

Perhaps the glowing suit could have been its own separate DLC bit - released separately.  Oh well, water under the bridge. We'll all buy it regardless.

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can the suits be changed in mid flight?

Better: Can we have an option to have the colors change for each unique Kerbal on EVA?

This idea is based on real-life, folks. All US spacewalkers since Apollo 14 (well, at least one per EVA) have colored bands to distinguish one from the other.

Glow is great for low-light, but colors can also be helpful to know which Kerbal is "over there" and not just that a Kerbal is "over there."

I'm betting that suits are fixed on launch, just as they are when changing suit types from the Crew selection in the VAB/SPH editor.

2 things - 1) make the color changeable for each Kerbal - if we’re trying to say the lighting is supposed to make sense at all and not just gamified decoration then you’d want to be able to identify different Kerbal by different light colors

2) I think the light around the rim of the faceplate would be a bad idea because it would affect the Kerbal’s night vision. Again, if this is supposed to make sense I think the lighting should not be shining in the kerbal’s eyes 

- as far as facelighting goes, that’s an element used in sci-fi movies so you can see the actors face, but it’s highly unrealistic because it makes it harder for the wearer to see out. So, no facelighting please 

Edited by Tyko

I have to ask, do people really have a problem seeing their eva kerbal in the dark?   I’ve always used the suit lights and the fact that the camera centers on them. Not to mention the ambient light slider added a few versions ago.   I really never have said to myself “I wish my kerbal was lit up like a ferris wheel so I could see where the heck it is”

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can the suits be changed in mid flight?

If we are to expect the same behavior as the Making History suits, then "no" is my presumption.

2 hours ago, klesh said:

If we are to expect the same behavior as the Making History suits, then "no" is my presumption.

Good, although I can see a mod which would allow an extra suit to be packed in storage, and then have the kerbal change suits in the storage container (or some other way)

13 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Good, although I can see a mod which would allow an extra suit to be packed in storage, and then have the kerbal change suits in the storage container (or some other way)

I'd personally prefer one that allowed you to just change them to any other suit at any time with no restrictions. But I tend to prefer convenience...

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd personally prefer one that allowed you to just change them to any other suit at any time with no restrictions. But I tend to prefer convenience...

It could be optional, I suppose

Frankly, I'd be more interested in getting rid of the parachute.

To me, the different suits are nice, but not a big part of my gameplay

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

To me, the different suits are nice, but not a big part of my gameplay

Me too. The problem is, they're even LESS a part of ship building, which is where one generally makes these decisions right now.

8 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I do want to ask if you can make less powerful jetpacks

Something I wanted for a while now is for the Kerbal's jetpack to implement the fine control mode that SAS has.  That way when I want small movements (eg I'm I trying to hold steady near the rocket whilst in space) I could switch to fine control mode, and have the eva pack thrust reduce to say 15%.

So +1 to an option to turn down the jetpack thrust somewhere.

10 hours ago, klesh said:

I have to ask, do people really have a problem seeing their eva kerbal in the dark?   I’ve always used the suit lights and the fact that the camera centers on them. Not to mention the ambient light slider added a few versions ago.   I really never have said to mys

elf “I wish my kerbal was lit up like a ferris wheel so I could see where the heck it is”

I don't have this problem either...

14 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Of all the things they are working on... we get glowing suits.  

They seem OK, but frankly I would have appreciated even further improvements in terrain, gameplay, content, etc.  The fact that glowing suits were prioritised for this release demonstrates that the prioritisation procedures are still bit wonky (OH wait! It actually means that the existing prioritisation procedure does not align with MY priorities ;))

Well let's say T2 has a graphics design artist making space suit skins. They can't just suddenly make him or her a coder to upgrade gameplay instead. Maybe terrain textures -- I get your point there.

11 hours ago, klesh said:

I have to ask, do people really have a problem seeing their eva kerbal in the dark?   I’ve always used the suit lights and the fact that the camera centers on them. Not to mention the ambient light slider added a few versions ago.   I really never have said to myself “I wish my kerbal was lit up like a ferris wheel so I could see where the heck it is”

I remember having this problem, especially early in the game on eva trying to get back to my own vessel or during rescue contracts. I got used to knowing where my duders were while they were flopping around in the dark when I rotated views, learned to put floodlights on all my vessels, but I think a strong visual reference would be helpful to newer players. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I remember having this problem, especially early in the game on eva trying to get back to my own vessel or during rescue contracts. I got used to knowing where my duders were while they were flopping around in the dark when I rotated views, learned to put floodlights on all my vessels, but I think a strong visual reference would be helpful to newer players. 

Especially since it’s not obvious how to turn on the helmet lights 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Especially since it’s not obvious how to turn on the helmet lights 

Don't you just hit the big button on the HUD/Altimeter that says Lights?  (Maybe I'm mis-remembering how this works...)

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Don't you just hit the big button on the HUD/Altimeter that says Lights?  (Maybe I'm mis-remembering how this works...)

Whoops, right... I need to fire up the game to confirm the altimeter is there in EVA, but I guess it should be since I know the navball is there. If new players even realize that there are functioning helmet lights. 

Which brings up another question, is there a level requirement to use these fancy glowy suits?

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I remember having this problem, especially early in the game on eva trying to get back to my own vessel or during rescue contracts.

I don't.

--------

Neon suits: No. The more I see it, the worse it looks.
Facelight: Maybe. We control our kerbals from a movie-like perspective, so movie-like conveniences might apply.
Colour coding: Yes. Nametag and mission-patch too please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.