[1.3.x-1.8.x] Real Expansion

Meid

Package Focus  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which package needs most focus/additions?

• RealAsteroids
    • RealPatch
    • RealTNOs
    • RealETNOs
    • RealComets
    • RealMoons
    • RealNEOs
    • RealApollos

39 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@"Our Benefactors" @linuxgurugamer

Resonant Orbit Calculator cache files for this mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rrq4zu7c6ehx0bp/AAD3ERYFBWiVgPKBHhuYGnEKa?dl=1

Why do I post this?

Because with Kopernicus useOnDemand = true all cache files are black.
So I created them.

Thanks for this, still fiddling with additional plugins. My main goal was to add all of the planets first and then add things like DoE and Resonant Orbit Calc.

If you want, i could copy you in the OP. Might be handy for people that want to plan transfers from the huge Saturn moon system

unknown.png

Testing out Neith for RealHypotheticals. We are currently working on RealHypotheticals and RealStars

Edit: To hell with it, just uploading it. b0.1 of RealHypotheticals: Neith is out

Edited by "Our Benefactors"

Currently looking for testers! RealStars is now in testing, alongside RealHypotheticals: Liber (Nice 5 gas planet model 5th gas planet :P)

DM me for more info

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:21 AM, BadModder54 said:

This is awesome! I will be personally keeping up with this project, and add a couple of packs to my ongoing RSS/RO career. (Kinda looking forward to attempting an Oumuamua probe :cool:)

Thanks! Im sorry im not working on it. Greater forces call

On 8/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, FreeThinker said:

I there any config avaialble to allow play in a smaller sized system, like stock or 2.5x size

SSRSS works fine, try sigma rescale. Only problems is with the SOI. I wouldn't mind patch bodies that have broken SOIs

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LittleBitMore said:

I really like this! I'm considering using it in my RP-1 career, as I'm somewhat upset on the number of moons some of the planets have in RSS. Do you know if this would work in a 1.8.1 RSS install?

I'm not sure. I'm still running of 1.7 for most of my mod development. I think PQS might have changed a bit, so maybe do some testing beforehand with some objects that you plan on visiting to make sure it is running fine

EDIT:

On 2/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ciko said:

Work fine

Thanks for testing! Apparently it works fine in 1.8

Edited by "Our Benefactors"

To fill people on the situation with this mod,

I have currently moved onto other projects. @GurrenLagannCWP kindly offered to attempt to continue this mod and overhaul it, but he has declared on discord that the mod is to be put on hold

If I didn't have ongoing projects and further plans that I would rather work on, I would continue development myself. This is not the case, as I have ~3 other ongoing projects and many plans.

If anyone would be willing to continue with the mod, I would be willing to set them up. There's a lot of things that need doing. The .cfgs are a mess, the bodies haven't been tested properly and the textures need redoing.

There is also a significant portion of unreleased/unfinished content in various Alpha and Beta builds which need to be fully realised, which I can give access to.

I apologise for the inconvenience. I will keep the DLs open, but I would not recommend downloading them as they are bugged, and I don't want anyone risking RO vessels on these.

Many Thanks,

-OB

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, and first of all the work you put into this mod!

I just read the latest post and this part caught my attention:

On 4/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, "Our Benefactors" said:

I apologise for the inconvenience. I will keep the DLs open, but I would not recommend downloading them as they are bugged, and I don't want anyone risking RO vessels on these.

When I had this mod installed, KSP seemed to be quite prone to crashing during scene changes; more particularly, the logs pointed out a scatterer method that lists celestial bodies. Removing RealExpansion seems to have fixed the issue - even though it is still too early to tell if the crashes happen due to the increased memory usage or something inherently broken with RE.

That being said, do you think there's any specific way the mod itself could cause such a problem? I'm playing on KSP 1.8.1. 

Edited by Tonas1997

On 4/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, "Our Benefactors" said:

I will keep the DLs open, but I would not recommend downloading them as they are bugged, and I don't want anyone risking RO vessels on these.

May I help on setting up a GitHub repository to make easier any working on it? It's usually the best way not only for development, but also to traceability.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, Tonas1997 said:

Hey there, and first of all the work you put into this mod!

I just read the latest post and this part caught my attention:

When I had this mod installed, KSP seemed to be quite prone to crashing during scene changes; more particularly, the logs pointed out a scatterer method that lists celestial bodies. Removing RealExpansion seems to have fixed the issue - even though it is still too early to tell if the crashes happen due to the increased memory usage or something inherently broken with RE.

That being said, do you think there's any specific way the mod itself could cause such a problem? I'm playing on KSP 1.8.1. 

I've noticed leaking memory with some of my mods in 1.8, and I think I've nearly managed to fix it. As I've clarified, the mod is abandoned. I could however write a quick Scatterer Planet list config to try and help with the crashing, but I think it's best to not use to mod until i can get around to fixing it.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:12 PM, Lisias said:

May I help on setting up a GitHub repository to make easier any working on it? It's usually the best way not only for development, but also to traceability.

Thanks for offering, but I've started using GitHub recently and seem to have it figured out. I'll try to get around to it and make the whole downloading system more organised. I would like to have a system in place similar to what i have for Gene's Star, with multiple downloads possible.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, "Our Benefactors" said:

I've noticed leaking memory with some of my mods in 1.8, and I think I've nearly managed to fix it. As I've clarified, the mod is abandoned. I could however write a quick Scatterer Planet list config to try and help with the crashing, but I think it's best to not use to mod until i can get around to fixing it.

Thanks for offering, but I've started using GitHub recently and seem to have it figured out. I'll try to get around to it and make the whole downloading system more organised. I would like to have a system in place similar to what i have for Gene's Star, with multiple downloads possible.

Thanks for replying, it's good to (at least) pinpoint what was causing the crashes! 

However, now I'm interested to know about the problem you identified. How can Kopernicus bodies cause memory leaks? Also, what would that scatterer config do?

Once again, thanks for all the work you put into this mod - if you ever get around to fix it, let us know :D 

6 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Thanks for replying, it's good to (at least) pinpoint what was causing the crashes! 

However, now I'm interested to know about the problem you identified. How can Kopernicus bodies cause memory leaks? Also, what would that scatterer config do?

Once again, thanks for all the work you put into this mod - if you ever get around to fix it, let us know :D 

You mentioned you identified a scatterer method that listed bodies. This is probably the planet list, which controls not only atmospheric bodies but things like planet shine and eclipses. I didn't make one for real ex, as it should run fine without one and it would have taken ages to write for every single object in the mod. If this lack of the config is causing errors with scatterer, that could be an easy fix for lag.

Another potential fix might be rewriting PQS for some bodies. This is what I think was causing the mod lagging in later versions of the game. This should also make the whole gameplay a bit more stable and if I plan to go that I might as well attempt to fix up the entire mod (which isn't all out of the question, I could probably fix the configs of the mod in around a day or two, and then give 2-4 days testing and uploading for all packages in bulk). My main problem with releasing a new update is that i would like to remake textures if I'm going to overhaul this, which isn't gonna be fun and will probably take a lot longer. I can look into patching asteroids, moons and TNOs because most of the textures were fine for those and move onto others

I'll see about doing it tomorrow. It's not like I have anything to do in lockdown. I'll drink a dangerous amount of coffee to try and get them all done in a relatively short amount of time (which is the way it was originally made :p

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.