[1.3.x-1.8.x] Real Expansion

Meid

Package Focus  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which package needs most focus/additions?

• RealAsteroids
    • RealPatch
    • RealTNOs
    • RealETNOs
    • RealComets
    • RealMoons
    • RealNEOs
    • RealApollos

Looks like PQS is gonna take a bit of work to get nice, but overall it's possible. This should make the whole mod a lot more stable. I've been working on a few patches for odd things, such as a scatterer patch better integrating eclipses and a config which adds the new ring shaders to Saturn's rings as it was running the old ones.

I might also work on an updated version/derivative of SSRSS/KSRSS with my own visuals and better integration of things such as the smallest bodies in the mod. This will mean a more versatile and fine tuned expertise for people like me who aren't skilled/patient enough for RSS/RO, but want to play with a real solar system module. Also this would mean analogous mods like Nova Kirbani and my other mod, Gene's Star would work well with this overhauled SSRSS

Another thing that needs doing to overhauling the science values for the entire mod. This means for better career integration for those early NEO missions, which I've always been interested in.

An improved sunlight curve system would also be cool for immersion, adding a new layer of difficulty for those exploring the further bodies in the system. KSP's light handling system has always disappointed me. When I first started creating mods, I always struggled with stars, mainly the light from the stock sun being too bright. To plug one of my mods once again, Kerbol Kurves was to fill this purpose, but because everything is scaled up this simply won't do anymore so I'll have to see about updating the present sunlight config in Real Patch

Hope to start posting screenshots of new content soon, and by soon when I can get my PQS working

https://github.com/AR3S-Vega/RealExpansion/releases/tag/1.3

Real Moons Anniversary Update 1.3 released!

* Fixed blank textures. All moons now have textures!

* Fixed PQS issues on most planets

* Tweaked Proteus' SOI

Real Patch is getting an update soon, same with the release of a Kerbal Scale Patch which has RSSVE integration!

Damn, that was quick! Can't wait for TNOs, but I'll test RealMoons right away!

Also a minor thing: for those of us playing with RealExoplanets, could the textures folder be renamed to something like RealExpansionTextures to avoid confusion? REX also stores its textures in a folder named "REX-Textures", which leads to files ending up disorganized.

Edited by Tonas1997
Grammar

10 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Damn, that was quick! Can't wait for TNOs, but I'll test RealMoons right away!

Also a minor thing: for those of us playing with RealExoplanets, could the textures folder be renamed to something like RealExpansionTextures to avoid confusion? REX also stores its textures in a folder named "REX-Textures", which leads to files ending up disorganized.

Oh I thought I fixed that :P

That'll be a fairly easy fix I can integrate over the course of patching, and I can probably get the ones I've released fixed by tomorrow :D

I'll see about doing RealTNOs tomorrow as well. All the framework and textures are written, they just need tweaking. I was trying to decide on which to do yet. I'd love to see some screenshots of you playing RealMoons. Some of Jupiter and Saturn's moons give really pretty views if you play with RSSVE

10 hours ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

Oh I thought I fixed that :P

That'll be a fairly easy fix I can integrate over the course of patching, and I can probably get the ones I've released fixed by tomorrow :D

I'll see about doing RealTNOs tomorrow as well. All the framework and textures are written, they just need tweaking. I was trying to decide on which to do yet. I'd love to see some screenshots of you playing RealMoons. Some of Jupiter and Saturn's moons give really pretty views if you play with RSSVE

lmao, you might have to wait a while :P I'm playing career and still trying to do unmanned lunar landings... but my first probe to the outer planets will probably be part of a grand tour-esque mission!

On 5/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, Tonas1997 said:

lmao, you might have to wait a while :P I'm playing career and still trying to do unmanned lunar landings... but my first probe to the outer planets will probably be part of a grand tour-esque mission!

Haha sounds good then! I've been drowning in school work at the moment so I might be a while on RealTNOs update release. Are you playing realism overhaul?

1 hour ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

Haha sounds good then! I've been drowning in school work at the moment so I might be a while on RealTNOs update release. Are you playing realism overhaul?

Yup :D

I like having more long-term goals such as exploring beyond Neptune or even interstellar colonization 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, Tonas1997 said:

Yup :D

I like having more long-term goals such as exploring beyond Neptune or even interstellar colonization 

Interstellar? In RO??? You must be insane :P

1 hour ago, Tonas1997 said:

Just get a star system pack, handwave the ridiculously unbalanced sci-fi parts, press warp, go make dinner... and done!

Is the star system pack to scale?

Edited by "Our Benefactors"

47 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Yup, that's the one I'm using!

Cool! thought so :D

What colonisation mods are you using? I've recently been fiddling around with WBI, but I've played MKS and KPBS in the past

I mostly use Planetary Base Systems, with Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux and Tokamak covering long-term space habitats.

Civilian Population also looks great, but I'm waiting for Kerbalism to update to configure the big greenhouses!

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on RealETNOs?

EDIT: I just saw your new mod thread and I understand the decision to halt the development of Real Expansion. If that's okay with you, would you mind explaining what specific stability improvements you were making to the modpack? I want to try and make the rest of them more stable - for personal use, obviously.

For instance, by comparing the current version of RealMoons with an older release I can see some PQS nodes were erased (ex: Adrastea):

VertexSimplexHeight
{
  seed = 3339067
  octaves = 3
  persistence = 0.5
  deformity = 10
  frequency = 3
  order = 12
  enabled = true
}
VertexHeightNoise
{
  seed = 45
  deformity = 20
  frequency = 5
  lacunarity = 2.5
  persistence = 0.5
  octaves = 2
  noiseType = RiggedMultifractal
  mode = Low
  order = 13
  enabled = true
}

Edited by Tonas1997

9 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Any news on RealETNOs?

EDIT: I just saw your new mod thread and I understand the decision to halt the development of Real Expansion. If that's okay with you, would you mind explaining what specific stability improvements you were making to the modpack? I want to try and make the rest of them more stable - for personal use, obviously.

For instance, by comparing the current version of RealMoons with an older release I can see some PQS nodes were erased (ex: Adrastea):

VertexSimplexHeight
{
  seed = 3339067
  octaves = 3
  persistence = 0.5
  deformity = 10
  frequency = 3
  order = 12
  enabled = true
}
VertexHeightNoise
{
  seed = 45
  deformity = 20
  frequency = 5
  lacunarity = 2.5
  persistence = 0.5
  octaves = 2
  noiseType = RiggedMultifractal
  mode = Low
  order = 13
  enabled = true
}

I want to see about fixing a lot of the textures for faster loading times and such. I'm still gonna be developing, ive decided to attempt to continue it. Not for a while though, I'm kinda bored of modding at the moment... I think I might work on Far Lands for a bit.

Edited by "Our Benefactors"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've loved this mod in its modular format, experimenting with Real Moons, then adding Real TNOs, etc. I notice back in May 2019 there was a conversation about RealPatch one day including Principia compatibility. On of my 1.7.3 builds, with real patch and only real moons (RSS SMURFF, lowest texture quality, module manager etc), the game still crashes upon Resuming a career or starting a new one. 

On other 1.7.3 builds sans Principia I have enjoyed this mod and also Real Exoplanets (Trappist, Alpha Centauri, Barnard's Star, etc). These work well together, and also alongside Interstellar Extended. It may be a good idea to rename the textures file, because they both turn into REX-textures, when lower case is not retained. They do work together, but it makes removing one from a build without corrupting the other a bit tricky. (Also I have accepted that Principia will never function on multi-star systems due to N-body problems and double counts. This is why I would love you to make Real Expansion compatible with Principia :)

Edited by FlyingCardboardbox
typo

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, FlyingCardboardbox said:

one day including Principia compatibility

You might find the following articulation interesting regarding what is needed for kopernicus asteroids & Principia at this post

For myself, I've been considering improving the gravity model & initial state data for Ida & Dactyl for this mods kopernicus interpretation of them & see what happens to them over time in the nbody gravity model.  ( I've also been pondering myself how to do a model version of Bennu since the amazing detail of the 5cm mosaic is rather remarkable )

Edited by AloE

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@"Our Benefactors" Don't mean to badger you, but is it possible to get RealMoons, RTNOs, etc. working with Principia? I was super excited to find this mod because I was disappointed with the lack of Jovian moons beyond the big four and the lack of Eris, but I would really like to keep Principia in my set of mods, and it seems like from your replies here that it was planned at some point but not currently possible or WIP. I know basically nothing about modding but I'd be willing to dig in and do some tweaking if compatibility is possible with minor changes. In any case, thanks for your work on these mods!

On 9/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, AloE said:

You might find the following articulation interesting regarding what is needed for kopernicus asteroids & Principia at this post

For myself, I've been considering improving the gravity model & initial state data for Ida & Dactyl for this mods kopernicus interpretation of them & see what happens to them over time in the nbody gravity model.  ( I've also been pondering myself how to do a model version of Bennu since the amazing detail of the 5cm mosaic is rather remarkable )

@AloE Your linked post is awesome. I might give a try to porting select bodies using your methods. I take it from your wording there that RealExpansion is compatible with Principia, but not the mods which add more bodies to the solar system? If that's the case, it simplifies things greatly.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:03 AM, Blacksmith said:

add more bodies to the solar system

I've not studied the entire RealExpansion suite yet to see what it does in all cases...but for the portions of RealExpansion that add celestials...those also should be able to be made to work with Principia so long as the correct data is pulled to make entries to patch the gravity model &  initial state in order to tell Principia where each is & where each is headed...one by one for any & each additional celestial added via Kopernicus beyond default RSS...so I am all for a shared doc (google sheets or whatever) of data for the elements to paste into a patch .cfg for each body of interest as that data is pulled...

Pulling the proper initial state vectors should be relatively straight forward via HORIZONS using the info in my post you referenced (e.g. ICRF frame, Solar System Barycenter (SSB), solar_system_epoch = JD2433282.500000000 etc.)

I remain unclear where to get appropriate orientation & rotational data for bodies not included already in this document:

https://astropedia.astrogeology.usgs.gov/download/Docs/WGCCRE/WGCCRE2009reprint.pdf

(related note: The reference frame & epoch used by Principia for RSS is different from what RSS pulled to define its orbital elements in the .cfg files it feeds to Kopernicus for each celestial...this is why I only use RSS in combination with Principia = the celestials are actually very well placed [& rotated which requires fixing some RSS textures e.g. for Mercury & Io, etc] so that eclipses, conjunctions etc are very close to actual times if one keeps in mind that KSP does not account for light travel time for visual observations i.e. for basic astronomy in Kerbal one needs to keep that in mind if the distance is far e.g. viewing Jovian moons from Earth). 

Edited by AloE

Option 32 in the HORIZONS table settings is the IAU2009 right ascension and declination of the body's "north pole" in the ICRF.  However, even that has it's limitations because more obscure bodies like Dysnomia aren't in HORIZONS. Probably have to just make up reasonable numbers in some cases 

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.