Rigid Attachment?

One of the best tips I’ve come across is the “Advanced Teakables” Under main menu settings that enables auto struts and rigid attachments. This has vastly improved my experience and has prevented me from raging quitting this game for good (why something like that is obscurely titled, hidden in the settings and defaulted to off is beyond me).

Anyway, I get the auto strut concepts, but what exactly does the rigid attachment do.  I’ve just been turning it on for all my parts, but is there a time to use and a time not to?

Yeah, I’ve been using them both. Before discovering them, my rockets where all over the place. After, they’re totally solid.  Total game changer. I haven’t tried leaving rigid attachment off to see if there’s much of a difference. 

13 hours ago, bewing said:

Rigid attachment was added mostly to make wings less floppy. Won't do much for a rocket. It also makes your craft more brittle. A sudden shock can cause joint failure.

Hmmm, ok thanks. Yeah, I’d suspected just that.  So I’ll stop using it as much on rockets. 

@Climber Rat:

Also, welcome to the forum.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that I do use rigid attachment sometimes on side boosters to prevent too much oscillation, but only in combination with struts.  It may make sense to use it on long station sections, as well, but no more sense than it does to use autostruts, instead.

3 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

@Climber Rat:

Also, welcome to the forum.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that I do use rigid attachment sometimes on side boosters to prevent too much oscillation, but only in combination with struts.  It may make sense to use it on long station sections, as well, but no more sense than it does to use autostruts, instead.

@Zhetaan Thanks for all that. Big help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.