KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - SEQ-3 Cargo Storage Unit

St4rdust

1 hour ago, Rejected Spawn said:

On the list of things I didn't expect on my friday evening: Honestly getting a little bit excited about a box.

The presentation was really nice too, showed it off in a quite informative way and that's something I really appreciate in "infomercials" like these.

(Normally I'd be making a jab about something by now but this level of proper post totally threw me off, you guys will have to wait until I find something worth poking fun at.)

Thank you! We appreciated your kind words. ;)

26 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Apparently only one inventory slot on the kerbals. It's logical, but could turn into another annoying clickfest.

But still, overall a welcome addition to gameplay.

I foresee either a MM patch or mod coming right up.

Hmmm... so the DLC includes Duct Tape and SpaceTape?

32 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

So stock KIS but the question I need to ask is can we mod the number of slots and carry weight of the kerbals and the storage box?

I assume that would be a pretty easy line of code to edit, probably wouldn't be demanding to change by the user, and would be a useful module manager script.

Looks simple and easy to use, a bit like KIS (but probably better maintained as it is stock). Good work Squad! Can't wait to play around with this.

Edited by RocketSimplicity

It’s not a stock KIS. I don’t think you can attach parts to other parts here. The experiment just pops into existence on the ground in front of the kerbonaut. No detaching parts from each other, no mass/volume limits for inventory, only works for deployable science parts. So it’s only good for one specific purpose (which is not necessarily a bad thing, because KIS exists already).

2 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

It is already a no-brainer to buy this DLC, but can we please keep up the one-video per day till arrival? :D - Pretty excited for this DLC for sure.

I am patiently waiting for the in-depth KSP Loading article, so I agree up until that article is released. 

Edited by MechBFP

I really like the idea that a cargo module can hold 3 items, but a kerbal can only carry 1. This means I have a few gameplay choices if I want to deploy a whole experiment station setup with solar power:

1. Fly my whole lander there, using more delta-v
  2. Land less accurately, using less delta-v, and have several kerbals make round trips from the lander to the experiment site and back.
  3. Land less accurately, using less delta-v, and deploy a rover with an experiment storage container so I only have to make 1 round trip with 1 or 2 kerbals.

Squad is taking the right direction here from a gameplay perspective, IMHO.

3 hours ago, St4rdust said:

SEQ-3 Cargo Storage Unit.

I like the storage unit... But the more I see that neon suit in action the more I want it to go away.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Glad to see you added the bag of holding to the game.  I look forward to Bill finally learning magic missile.

I also see a reference that many of our members may not get.... ;)

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Glad to see you added the bag of holding to the game.  I look forward to Bill finally learning magic missile.

I like to think of it as the pants of holding:

K5mDiNe.gif

you're driving me crazy! with this DLC! I see too much potential in this DLC! why the other game does not evolve as well? you are too strong! I'm going to make a kerbal team with the name of each developer. And I send them everywhere in the space!

GOOD JOB!
 kerbol will burn !!! :cool::cool:  (google trad)

PS: in my dream i have a robotic part to take a surface sample ;)( or the small drill upgrade)

Edited by jojo5144

5 minutes ago, CdRKerbal said:

It's not like you have to use it

Sure, and I probably won't.
Feedback was requested (in the thread for the suit), and I was simply refining mine in reaction to another picture of it.
Personally I think there are better options for suit upgrades than neon seams, and as they say, the the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Squeak squeak.

I'm really excited by these little surface experiments and their ability to be pseudo-linked by being in proximity, and what it might mean for modding possibilities.

I hope they can also interact with craft... like you could have a landed probe with no energy generation, a dead battery, and no docking ports. Before the only possibility of recovering the craft was to claw it and transfer power. It could be nice if one could send out put down some surface equipment to charge the probe's battery. 

One could have a battery powered rover... when the battery is used up, your kerbal takes out the solar panels from the storage unit, sets them up, and takes a nap while the rover charges.

Can we have (or be able to mod?) a micro ISRU converter, micro drills, powered by kerbal-deployed solar panels... So one could bring a lot of storage units, and have a kerbal set up a surface ISRU facility?

I'm also looking forward to modded features for mini surface deployable life support systems.

We have 1 part that can have 3 parts in its inventory... could we have the reverse? Deploy multiple small packages, and your kerbal assembles them into 1 bigger part? Like an ISRU converter with "some assembly required", transported to the surface via multiple cargo storage units?

16 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

This is looking fantastic...not really a stock KIS but I’m sure @IgorZ can integrate KIS features into the new stock inventory system.

Well, let's wait for the launch to check the new cool feature! And if anyone has suggestions on how KIS may potentially converge with the new stock options, feel free to suggest them on the KIS forum :) 

I just noticed the science parts and storage box and in a new closet tab.  Couldn't you have just placed the science parts in the science tab and the box in the payload tab?  As much as I love RoverDude's stuff, he also has a tendency to create unnecessary tabs.  You're going to drive the UI nerd in me a little crazy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.