Breaking Ground... What will you build first?

MR L A

I’m pretty darn excited about the upcoming DLC and can’t wait to give it a go...

but what’s the first thing you want to build?!

Personally, I think I might build a folding wing electric prop duna flying probe. Or something I don’t know!

If Breaking Ground is like most other updates, I'll be building a little craft I like to call "Untitled Space Craft." It's the starter command pod with 3 Mystery Goos on it.

;)

But I've many ideas for robotic parts, mostly involving things that you simply cannot fit in fairings now, that will fit into fairings in 2 weeks.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I will finally rebuild a lot of stuff from the days, when i was using mods, like this VTOL-SSTO for Duna...

lxddjbB.png

...and this lander with a full base, that could assemble...

2ulyV89.png

...and i will update or rebuild my Rhino lander, which used stock loading ramps and dangerous jettisoned covers for the integrated launch vehicle...

91kLKDa.png

0ap72Ol.png

WVwFrdS.png

grZxrAx.png

...besides many many other things, that already came to mind... electric helicopters for Eve, solar powered propeller-planes for Duna and Laythe and and and...

[edit] And i will build a system to move the inflatable heatshield away from decending landers, to avoid crashing into them after jettisoning them.

Edited by Frank_G

1 hour ago, MR L A said:

I’m pretty darn excited about the upcoming DLC and can’t wait to give it a go...

but what’s the first thing you want to build?!

Personally, I think I might build a folding wing electric prop duna flying probe. Or something I don’t know!

Bases has always been my kind of thing, I just tend to give up easily.
However, I had plans on the following...

1) A walking base.
2) A rover with a robot arm.
3) Many more coming to my head...

1. Transporter erector launcher for a manned Eve return mission. Drive up a mountain with the rocket on a truck bed, raise it vertically, then launch!
  2. Sliding drawers for my cargo bays. No longer have to remove relay satellites from cargo bays with RCS!
  3. Forklift for off-world base construction, mainly for aligning docking ports on the ground.
  4. Folding satellites up to stuff them into smaller diameter fairings.

I will rebuild this:

I dumbly deleted the craft by aciddent, and I'm postponing the rebuild as I want to do it again both with IR/next and DLC to see what I get.

A little VTOL SSTO, with the engines on servos so I can decelerate while keeping the intakes the right way round. Also a cargo ship for things which are too wide to fit in Mk3 bays.

Edited by fulgur

23 hours ago, Frank_G said:

I will finally rebuild a lot of stuff from the days, when i was using mods, like this VTOL-SSTO for Duna...

Those are some lovely designs! 

First thing I'll build will be a little test craft to make sure that you can have a docking port on the end of a movable arm and that nothing explody happens when you dock with something and that it's stable while timewarping.
-if all good
    -re make base construction rover (which has always depended on IR), although I may stick with using IR's magnetic grabber on the end of it's arm.
    -make a Canada arm or several
    -some kinda cargo truck that can pick up and load cargo, even though transporting cargo by truck doesn't really have much application
    -some kinda unnecessarily complicated unfolding satellite.
    -a flat packed unfolding base.
   -VTOLs galore 
-else
    -submit bug reports!

I'm super hyped about the robotics in the DLC... I wish they would hurry up and just give us a list of the parts and what they do instead of this less than 1 update per day, being all coy about it... Its 10 days away, its time to start planning!

So I thought I'd start a thread asking what craft or concepts you want to make with the new DLC robotics, or at least want to make knowing that you'll have access to some sort of moving parts (even if we lack details on how they work or what parts there are)

So, I will clearly want to make:

1) Stock electric propellors, ones much more practical than what I've made already... lookat my old design... yuck:

Spoiler

yqOtGrJ.png

UisLa8I.png

Getting this anywhere... a pain due to lack of attachment points, and aerodynamics during launch.

2) Folding wings... I'm thinking like a WW2 F6 hellcat... I've made planes that could fit in a mk3 bay before, but they looked ridiculous and flew terrible, Hopefully that will change.

3) Tilt-Engine VTOL Craft... no more separate lift and forward flight engines, should make duna craft more efficient. Bye bye weird flight directions for my single engine pair landers:

Spoiler

vlmXT5a.png

And with folding booms and stuff, also by by to hard to fit in a fairing VTOL engines (having them this far away vertically from the CoM gave better control:

1hJ093p.png

By by separate lift engines that are dead weight (no modern VTOL designs do this... all vectored thrust, or tilt engine. Only the F-35 comes close using a driveshaft to a fan, but still the same engine... just witha higher effective bypass ratio when the lift fan is engaged... I think that's too much to ask for KSP though):

Spoiler

WGtFZV8.png

3E53PQ1.png

FAMYF26.png

4) Freedom from the mk3 cargo bay for mobile surface base construction. I like to build modular surface bases, that I can pack up and move. I've always used the mk3 cargobay+ramp to transport and move them. It meant that all modules had docking ports at a standard height, and it was just roll on/ roll off to move the base. I experimented with a larger skycrane system that would lower itself onto modules to pick them up, but I found it nearly impossible to get the docking port's centered, and have them stay centered during lowering (thank in part to poor surface friction, and things sliding)

This design was just impractical for moving modules too large for the mk3 bay:

Spoiler

KVwEfD9.png

this rover was extremely difficult to re attach... I spent hours trying before successful

TP8nVaQ.png

Robotics should make it relatively easy to get the docking ports to line up...

So now I'll be faced with a choice: abandon the cargobay, and carry things externally, using robotics to pick them up again, or pack more into mk3 bays, and have them unfold after exiting the bay... I'm not sure how many of my old mk3 bay payloads will be replaced.

I'm probably keeping my sub, unless rotor based props will work under water (they don't seem to in current stock props, but I think that this may change... finally working stock subs on Eve????)

Spoiler

c6vMjEQ.png

I don't know if I'll keep my stock mk3 deployed rover... 2 inline rovers that dock side by side to have a wide track and give it better rover stability.... or I can use robotics to unfold outrigger wheels for stability... I think I'll use the robotics, but I'll miss this little guy:

Spoiler

pkr3UQm.png

and a number of similar variants, but this was close to the final version

But I don't know what it means for my surface bases themselves... will it be just like this one, but with a robotic arm to connect to ships wanting fueling (rather than crude clawing, or precise docking port connections)?

BtTgntL.png

plus some surface experiments placed nearby? or should I abandon the confines of the mk3 bay and use fewer, larger modules on airless worlds?

I need a parts list so I can start planning my new expeditions... the Tilt engine landers... the unfolding rovers, the adjustable connections/struts for picking things up... the practical stock electric propellors...

What are you going to do with the robotics? Any changes to your surface bases? aside from picking things up easier, and some unfolding rovers/planes, I'm not really coming up with many ideas for changing the surface bases themselves... just minor changes to make them more convenient fueling stations, and better science generators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.