Breaking Ground... What will you build first?

MR L A

What is MCV style? the top hit was " Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) measures the average red blood cell volume, meaning the actual size of the cells themselves. A normal range for MCV is between 80 and 96 femtoliters per cell."

By a large crawler, you mean like the:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler-transporter, not like a crawling insect, right?

How exactly will it "unpack"? just deploying the surface experiments from the storage containers?

In the meantime, for the sub designs, and maybe for many mk3 designs in general, I may get rid of the cargo ramp. If I invert the central cargobay, the sub can come up underneath, then I just need a hinged part to come underneath and lift the sub up to the docking connection.

Then I can get rid of the wheels on my sub... On the other hand, this may require a specialized sub carrier, and the way it is now it can carry any mk3 module, and land on water or the ground.

Unless I make a whole new class of mk3 modules that are all bottom loading designs. I also wonder how strong the robotic joints are, and if I can have a canadarm type thing that just lifts the modules up from a single docking port on top of the module..

Edited by KerikBalm

I should have posted in this thread instead of making a new one:

On 5/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, MR L A said:

a folding wing electric prop

That's definitely on my list.

Tilt engine VTOLs.

Stock submarines that work on eve... maybe?

Modifications to my surface bases (an arm to adjust docking port position for refueling stuff on the surface).

Maybe a new cargobay setup, opening downward and using robotics to attach and lift modules (rather than driving modules up a cargoramp)

Rovers with unfolding outrigger wheels for added stability.

And surely folding/extending parts for cooler looking stations that still fit in fairings, and in general more compact stuff going in fairings

On 5/20/2019 at 6:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

What is MCV style? the top hit was " Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) measures the average red blood cell volume, meaning the actual size of the cells themselves. A normal range for MCV is between 80 and 96 femtoliters per cell."

By a large crawler, you mean like the:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler-transporter, not like a crawling insect, right?

How exactly will it "unpack"? just deploying the surface experiments from the storage containers?

They speak of the Mobile construction vehicle.

When it gets to console I'm going to update a large number of my designs.

Canadarm on a space station and maybe a full blown space shuttle if I can take the development.

Making foldable architecture will be pretty interesting. Larger solar arrays will be easier to pack now. Landers may be more interesting. 

Honestly, probably nothing more than I have already built.  

But don't get me wrong!  That's not because I'm not excited for the DLC, I am in fact very excited!  However, I tend to play career exclusively, and I have a habit of starting a new career every time a new major change comes out.  So I have to creep up to the new content from the beginning again.  Feels like I appreciate it more after I have "earned" it, and building toward it gives me a new long-term objective to accomplish.

That said, I'm especially excited this time because of all the new things to find and new ways to collect Science means that my journey up the tech tree will be a little more interesting, with a lot of little things I can do to work my way through it.

7 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

maybe a full blown space shuttle

If the controller can be easily mapped to pitch roll and yaw... there might be a path to stock gimballed SRBs, by mounting them to pivots.

What else do we need?  Radiator panels that fold out in synchrony with the cargo bay doors?  Or are you talking full on crawler/transporter, fixed and rotating service structures, hold-down clamps, swingarms, etc?

Something I'm very fond of is building realistic trucks in KSP, naturally these robot parts are going to allow me to do lots of trucky things! I'll make a crane truck, a refueling boom tanker truck, and also a dump truck that I can load with debris created by crashes :P . And then when it gets back to the space center it can dump the debris where they get full retrieval value! And also of course loading small asteroids into trucks to move to my collection of them. The truck possibilities are now truly limitless, this is going to be a long short wait!

Might try to make a fork type garbage truck as well for picking up dumpsters or other things like that and include a Kraken edition compactor inside : P.

Oh and of course, make a mobile launch truck that deploys rockets like  Russian ICBM carriers, but for manned space travel from any location desired with ease that can be re-used as many times as needed! Just pull the truck up to the launchpad with a ready to go rocket, and load it, and drive off to desired launch site!

Edited by Dirt The Space Dirt Fox

On 5/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, Fearless Son said:

Honestly, probably nothing more than I have already built.  

But don't get me wrong!  That's not because I'm not excited for the DLC, I am in fact very excited!  However, I tend to play career exclusively, and I have a habit of starting a new career every time a new major change comes out.  So I have to creep up to the new content from the beginning again.  Feels like I appreciate it more after I have "earned" it, and building toward it gives me a new long-term objective to accomplish.

That said, I'm especially excited this time because of all the new things to find and new ways to collect Science means that my journey up the tech tree will be a little more interesting, with a lot of little things I can do to work my way through it.

I also do exactly this:)

Prop-driven probe to explore Eve. 

My ultimate ambition is to see if it would be possible to turn that into a reusable stratolauncher system. Something that can fly out of the soupy atmosphere under prop power, then accelerate into a suborbital trajectory under a burst of rocket power, then fire off the payload with enough dV to circularise; then fly back the empty launcher under prop power again.

Other things on my list now include recreating some stock parts (Landing struts and wheels for the most part) and also trying to get a piston-driven wheel assembly working so I can make a stock hype train, that runs like an actual train.

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Prop-driven probe to explore Eve. 

My ultimate ambition is to see if it would be possible to turn that into a reusable stratolauncher system. Something that can fly out of the soupy atmosphere under prop power, then accelerate into a suborbital trajectory under a burst of rocket power, then fire off the payload with enough dV to circularise; then fly back the empty launcher under prop power again.

It may just be possible to make an actual usable eve SSTO with prop power to get you out of the soup.

Those were my thoughts too. Electric prop craft for atmospheres. Not only for escaping Eve, but simply taking fuel out of the equation is a significant feature I plan to eventually experiment with.

With that said I'm starting a new career so that right from the start moving parts will be taken into consideration when deciding how my program will organize it's efforts most effectively for multi-part missions and infrastructure.

100% something for my own Munar Gateway. Something like two Canadarms, as well as an ability for deployable surface experiments. I'll take a shot at deploying a rover using a hinge that opens a panel, letting the rover get out of there.

Sounds absurd. It's going to work!

On 5/20/2019 at 12:52 PM, KerikBalm said:

In the meantime, for the sub designs, and maybe for many mk3 designs in general, I may get rid of the cargo ramp. If I invert the central cargobay, the sub can come up underneath, then I just need a hinged part to come underneath and lift the sub up to the docking connection.

Then I can get rid of the wheels on my sub... On the other hand, this may require a specialized sub carrier, and the way it is now it can carry any mk3 module, and land on water or the ground.

Unless I make a whole new class of mk3 modules that are all bottom loading designs. I also wonder how strong the robotic joints are, and if I can have a canadarm type thing that just lifts the modules up from a single docking port on top of the module..

Pretty sure he ment an transporter-ejector- launcher. 
russian-ballistic-missile-system-transpo
Obviously larger as its an manned orbital rocket on Eve, but in general its an transporter who can eject and launch an rocket. Yes you can do that now but transporter is more unstable and look stupid with the rocket standing up. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.