Breaking Ground... What will you build first?

MR L A

I expect Kopernicus won't work, so I'll be back at 1x, not custom 3x system, so first will probably be a VTOL SSTO.

Then I'll probably go for a stock submarine.

Then a VTOL cargo SSTO with a conventional (pre breaking ground) carbobay and ramp for wheeled payloads. I'll look at making some unfolding payloads though (in particular, folding outrigger wheels on a rover to increase the track and improve stability)

Then I think I'll try to make a VTOL cargo plane with a downward opening cargobay, and a robotic system to recover a submarine.

No more trouble with water landings... the VTOLs are coming. I was already making some VTOLs, but the mass inefficiency of separate lift rockets annoyed me (also hover time was very limited due to rocket fuel consumption). Using lift jets, which had an even larger mass penaltyw as not good either (due to lower TWR, you need more jet engine mass for vertical flight).

But soon... I can go full lift Jet, using panthers, and likely have enough thrust to super cruise. Once I go back to 3x, I can pretty much forget VTOL SSTOs, but supercruising VTOLs will still be within reach.

*edit* just had an idea.

Many people want to use these joints/hinges to make bigger landing legs, like space X style. Maybe with some mods (mech jeb, trajectory estimation in atmospheres), you can do precision landings back at KSC, but while I cna get back to the vicinity of KSC, I'm not going to put my booster back on the launchbad (or runway for 100% recovery).

If I use 6 landing legs... maybe I can articulate them such that my booster can *walk* back to the launchpad after landing near KSC...

Super tall, easy to tip over empty boosters (shouldn't be too bad when empty, as the CoM will be down by the engines) walking back to the launchpad... Its going to happen.

Edited by KerikBalm

This is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering how many people are putting things on hold KSP wise, waiting for Breaking Ground to appear.

I've got at least one major thing I'm holding off on until the new DLC (with its toys) arrives and I've noticed a couple of posts expressing the same thought from others. I'll still be doing things in the game (although more art/story stuff than gameplay) but I probably won't get into anything major before BG arrives. I've not even bothered with 1.7 yet, because if BG come along in the near future, I'd prefer to grab all the new stuff at once. No good reason for that really, just the thought pattern that I've got locked into.

12 hours ago, purpleivan said:

This is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering how many people are putting things on hold KSP wise, waiting for Breaking Ground to appear.

I kind-of am. I started a new career like I always do, but started it early to get through the initial few missions so I'm now about where I'd start to want robotics for stuff. That way when the dlc drops I'll hopefully be able to just start building stuff in career.

I was gettting to the point of feeling I had done the airplane thing and now was time to do some space exploration again.  However, I can't not build another few planes with the new DLC. The chance to build not only new really weird planes, but new really weird planes with bendable bits is too much to pass up.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, KerikBalm said:

By a large crawler, you mean like the:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler-transporter, not like a crawling insect, right?

I only recently played through Homeworld Deserts of Kharak, and that Wikipedia picture of the crawler reminded me of coalition support cruiser.

The cargo/command plane from the Avengers TV series is on tap (forward flipping jet engines on the wings and a pair on the rear), as well as the swivel engine cargo ship from a sci-fi series whose name escapes me (lower rotating on front, higher set rotating in the rear).

Then I'll have the nice challenge of a fully functional Dire Wolf from Battletech lore, because DIRE WOLF!  100 tons of stompy box-like death and destruction.

5 minutes ago, klond said:

I have not looked at what new parts we are getting, but I wanna see if anything can be abused to further advance piston engine design.

There’s a rotor part, and all of the robotic parts have the option to be unpowered.

There’s a full list of parts here:

Now I want to build a helicopter. Going to see if it's possible to make one with Ka-50 style contra-rotating rotors first.

An autogyro would also be cool. That would be possible if the rotor allows freewheeling. 

Then I want to build a long-range SSTO with servo-rotating NERVs for easy landing and take-off from airless bodies.

Then I want to build prop-driven Eve probes and perhaps eventually attempt a recoverable Eve launch system with a prop-driven craft as the platform.

14 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Now I want to build a helicopter. Going to see if it's possible to make one with Ka-50 style contra-rotating rotors first.

An autogyro would also be cool. That would be possible if the rotor allows freewheeling. 

Then I want to build a long-range SSTO with servo-rotating NERVs for easy landing and take-off from airless bodies.

Then I want to build prop-driven Eve probes and perhaps eventually attempt a recoverable Eve launch system with a prop-driven craft as the platform.

Autogyros are really fun to build. Got one working pretty reliably with stock bearings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.