A.P.U.S. Aerospace Passenger and Utility System

NESD

REally nice job (I'm jealous).

Two things come to mind:  could you post a cross-sectional diagram showing dimensions?  That would help people make compatible parts

Second, I can't tell (at work right now), but was wondering if the cross-section matches that from the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts mod?  Looks like it might be close

@RealKerbal3x  You can make any patches but texture switching can't help, because all linear tanks already use one texture list, so you need mesh switcher

@Cataclism thanks for pointing to this video, only watching it I find another bug :D in landing gear I don't remove texture switcher used for testing ( and not working)

@linuxgurugamer  FBX file with cross-section here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UhvJVgcga54DgKqeWvFrrVIuPsYV7kio

also check size of this part, length of any inline modules (also in future parts) multiplied by 1/4, 1/2, 2 and 3

I don't have Mk2.5 mod so can't compare it but this pic with stock sizes can help

PIfMVkH.png

@ARTOBAN  @drtedastro  and anyone who want Craft files, maybe tomorrow post one

Also for everyone who make compatibility patches for life support mods, some notes

Swift and crew cabins have big space under floor so they can have food supply to 15-20 days (or 25-30 for travel to Minmus and back)

Entrance module have meals storage (like real airliners) so it can be used as small supply container

Schooner have big size but living space relatively small, around 0.65-0.75 of whole body, because frontal cone closed and upper side have space for parachute

I do think you and Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems should work together.  (Same idea, in the 2.5m size, so a bit bigger.)

Just watched the Kobattos review - grabbing now entirely for the small monoprop tanks.  ;)  (I rarely fly shuttles - but I find lots of uses for small monoprop tanks.)

(Just so you and @Starlord Kerman can compare notes.)

1 hour ago, NESD said:

@linuxgurugamer  FBX file with cross-section here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UhvJVgcga54DgKqeWvFrrVIuPsYV7kio

also check size of this part, length of any inline modules (also in future parts) multiplied by 1/4, 1/2, 2 and 3

Ok, your cross section is a bit different than mine (Mk 2.5 Spaceplane Parts)

Nice parts, I haven't downloaded yet, do the walls have realistic thicknesses (or any thickness at all?)

Just downloaded.  Very nice detailing.  Your shuttle is actually significantly smaller than the Mk2.5, i was able to put your entire cargo bay inside mine.  Would be interesting to have one shuttle transport the parts of another :-)

and you also did a nice job with making enough areas solid to reflect the need for strength

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just downloaded.  Very nice detailing.  Your shuttle is actually significantly smaller than the Mk2.5, i was able to put your entire cargo bay inside mine.  Would be interesting to have one shuttle transport the parts of another :-)

Which would make sense, as these parts are based on the 1.875m size, and the Mk2.5 is based on the 2.5m size...

9 hours ago, DStaal said:

Which would make sense, as these parts are based on the 1.875m size, and the Mk2.5 is based on the 2.5m size...

For some reason, I thought they were bigger, he says that they are capable of carrying 1.875m parts, so it's bigger than that, but not much

For everyone who want some Craft files, make two

AtlEAPG.png

Explorio - III    dual class cruise shuttle, 21 seats, 600+ DeltaV at 80km LKO

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oT6dAfBJ4aKvt2W2zF-mpS74QiTV3uRc

you can remove parachutes from boosters if don't have Stage Recovery

Checklist (little tricky):

DON'T FORGET  --->      Press [ 0 ] action key, or find drone core near Vector and use Control from here (check, navball must turn)

After launch, point nose directly to zenith and check heading ( you can't change it later)

at speed 30-50 m/s increase Vector thrust to full

at 130m/s switch SAS to Prograde and let them lean to 70 degrees then return SAS to Hold

after dropping boosters, again click Prograde to 45 degrees and back to Hold

Open new KSP orbital info panel, or switch to map and right click on AP marker (stick values on screen)

after reaching 60 seconds for Apoapsis go to Prograde and start throttling down Vector

keep time to apoapsis between 50-60 seconds, but keep throttle not less 2 small notches on navball, until reach 80km

set Vector's throttle and gimbal limiters to 30% and make maneuver as usual

after circularization you can have 100-250 deltaV for orbit correction

before dropping tank, switch control back to cockpit, point nose to Prograde and wait until vessel stop bouncing

return back with intermediate 80km orbit, burn retrograde just over middle of crater to 0km periapsis

hold 20-25 degrees in descend, maybe increase later

at low altitude disable SAS and reaction wheels

fly only by hands, with trimmers (Alt+W/S) but be careful with roll control, due high engine position, stability can be not so good

This shuttle can't be launched with Gravity Turn mod as is, if you still want it, turn drone core  to head up position and turn shuttle on launch table

and switch control to cockpit and back to lean trajectory down and up, until you drop boosters and leave thick atmosphere

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cJWNNnc.png

K-37 unmanned science and cargo shuttle with Mini Glenn returnable launcher

NOTE:  Required Internal RCS mod ! ! !

up to 7 tonnes to LKO (and possibly back) with 900-1700 deltaV depending on payload

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RcuyBMSBdRmd_Y8hlZWarseJjO4VluH8

Checklist:

Launch it as usual, it's a simple and stable one stage rocket

return shuttle same as Explorio, but you can deploy Rudders and use steering limiter as trim

Return of Mini Glenn (little tricky again)

before all, flip Authority Limiter on all 4 pairs of rudders ( +150  to  -150 and back ) do it now, or you forget it

enable RCS but NOT flip control direction now

don't burn retrograde more than 200 delta at LKO or less at higher orbits, otherwise you overheat rocket

only after that, select Control point REVERSED in drone core and disable gimbal on engine

now Mammoth is a your rocket nose and controls set for flying in this direction

side with solar pannels must be turned up or you lost it

make reentry as any other spaceplane with very heavy nose or pump fuel for better balance

use engine (if you still have fuel) or airbrakes to prevent overheating

if you skilled enough, you can try to land without parachutes

before landing on water use RCS to start bouncing rocket in air and tilt it before parachutes disappear

@linuxgurugamer  internal 1.8 node have only 2.5 adapter, one of reasons to make this shape slightly bigger than 1.8 is a possible usage of new MH engines without visual glitches

if I remember, FBX file can be read by Blender (I don't have it so can't check)

@Cataclism  decouplers/separators planned, now you can use 2.5 adapter, it have droppable bottom section, so don't scratch ground at landing

@DStaal  Starlord's Shuttle much bigger than Apus, compatibility adapters possible but not now

more interesting idea is a Flat bottom as launcher with Apus as upper stage

about RCS tanks and nozzles, I still don't know how it be better, leave it here or move to Internal RCS mod

13 minutes ago, NESD said:

about RCS tanks and nozzles, I still don't know how it be better, leave it here or move to Internal RCS mod

Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever use the rest of the parts - but those RCS tanks and nozzles are awesome and useful.

spacedock seems to be down, is there another download source? did not find it in ckan too?!

edit: -spacedock seems to be back, i tryed it yesterday and this morning several times without success, looked like a bigger issue, but got it now, thanks :)

Edited by gullymat

Test of you're "Kliper" module with Tantares mod, I've really enjoyed the flight, thanks for your work, the IVA is really promising!

D7zRbMsWsAIGTHm.jpg

D7zRbMrXsAARLDL.jpg

D7zRbMtXkAAzQoc.jpg

D7zRbMyWsAE0Yzl.jpg

Do you think to add maybe some wings to make the winged variant ? i don't like to ask for more part, but wings with black tiles is something many player want, for Kliper but also for all spaceplane in general.

Anyway, many thanks for your mod, great work!

EDIT :

with an other mod "Cormorant shuttle MK3" for the wing, i've finally made it like i want :

Spoiler

screenshot0.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot10.jpg

A wing like that with black tiles could be a really great part

Edited by Well
Update

5 hours ago, Well said:

Do you think to add maybe some wings to make the winged variant ? i don't like to ask for more part, but wings with black tiles is something many player want, for Kliper but also for all spaceplane in general.

Just an FYI, I'll be releasing the B9 Shuttle Style Wings in the next few days

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful parts mod. 

@NESD, if you are taking suggestions, the only thing I missed is a adapter from this specific size to 1.25m, or a cone-shaped end. The parts can make not only spaceplanes but also wonderful actual planes, however there is no way to seamlessly place a tail on it. 

Edited by Daniel Prates
corrected some words

• 2 weeks later...

@NESD

ThankYou! Truly excellent and very promising mod! Especially i love the Kliper cabin. :)
I decide to expand the vehicle dV ability, so here is: mqEQPZQ.png

It can to load 3 t Lf+Ox from orbit refueling and get 1800+ m/s dV,

Return from orbit:

kDqnkKJ.png

HntEX9U.png

Low cost launch system for orbital tours and crew rotation, booster with 9 t LfOx based on Kodiak engine:

pK4pyu6.png

Spoiler

xPHxU9t.png

Jbe1sQo.png

LMtZWSl.png

nY8LpAK.png

xXhOt7E.png

jtXZtlq.png

OKLAG49.png

RXIPH9G.png

Really nice looking parts, but on SSTO it more much dragged than stock parts:

C0Ntk1k.png

APUS parts, launch mass limited to ~55 t.

For comparing, the version based on stock-only parts breaking the sound barrier with launch mass 60+ t :

MVOGw2l.png

and have a more dV on orbit.

• 2 months later...

Hi I have a question. I'd like to use this mod but it does not come with FAR compatibility.

This is easily fixed if all parts are renamed like so: apus_partname

MM can change all the parts then by using apus_*. Far calculates drag values based on shape so the required MM patch only resets drag and lift values.

Can I safely change the name of all the parts in their part config files, so I can still apply a MM patch?

Thank you in advance

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:23 PM, Cruss said:

Hi I have a question. I'd like to use this mod but it does not come with FAR compatibility.

This is easily fixed if all parts are renamed like so: apus_partname

MM can change all the parts then by using apus_*. Far calculates drag values based on shape so the required MM patch only resets drag and lift values.

Can I safely change the name of all the parts in their part config files, so I can still apply a MM patch?

Thank you in advance

That's probably safe enough to do -- obviously the "best" way would be to declare them all by hand/by name in their own patch file. :) -- this reminds me that the Streamline parts probably all need to that to function properly in FAR.

• 4 months later...

Just a some pics to say, this mod don`t dropped and still in work (but slower than I wish).

Now i`m work with ATR-42/L-410 style modular wings, rudder and tail section (with various fuel load)

BNQBO5d.pngq8fLFAl.png

So now word Aerospace have Aero, not only Space

gkbkrYa.png

But unfortunately at this moment wings can`t work without Auto struts, even with breakingforce set to 200-300

zzDjIMr.png

Also start make some things with IVA painting and all-white "Aircraft" textures

• 1 month later...

Thank you for making this mod, it helped me really to get a little bit into working with spaceplanes. For years i was one of the "Apollo-Style"-Guys only but now i think that a spaceplane can be the better (and cheaper) way to bring Kerbals und supplys to my stations around Kerbin and it´s moons. Please keep up the good work, i really wonder what you are bringing in in the future.

Edited by JoeSheridan

@JoeSheridan   Now I`m still working with aero parts as you can see in post above, current work is a Clipper wings

9RqqEO5.png

also main part now have removable nose and parachute cover with attach nodes inside

At this moment no textures, no parachutes and need lot of work with aerodynamics (and still not fixed problem with very soft  modular wing attach)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.