Three ideas that I feel would work really well

1. Part manufacturing

This could work so well, ore + electricity = parts this would work really well for the upcoming DLC and kis being implemented into stock. Essentially it would work like this: you land on Duna with just a lander and a drill. Eventually you will be able to build rovers to look for ore, extra drills, etc. and build up a base on Duna eventually

2. A part that acts as a launch pad, being able to launch ships from the VAB with it.

3. I already know that aliens is on the do not discuss list, but I feel that his could work pretty well, multiple "races" that you find, for example, you see an anomaly whilst scanning Eve, and land near it, turns out its some alien ruins, which after discovering gifts you with new parts only accessible that way with a specific part set. The idea is that you have to actually go to a specific place and get new parts out of it.

1 hour ago, Bigboy said:

I already know that aliens is on the do not discuss list

They're not on the do not discuss list (checks rules, no... no we're in the clear here :D ), it's just that the game is already about 'aliens'.  Plus the stock game already had monoliths, pyramids, etc that represent a previous culture has been here.  And since the stock game only includes one solar system, encountering a species from outside of it just can't happen.

1 hour ago, Bigboy said:

1. Part manufacturing

This could work so well, ore + electricity = parts this would work really well for the upcoming DLC and kis being implemented into stock. Essentially it would work like this: you land on Duna with just a lander and a drill. Eventually you will be able to build rovers to look for ore, extra drills, etc. and build up a base on Duna eventually

"There's a mod for that", will it ever get implemented into stock? Maybe, maybe not, but until then, avail yourself of the mod (I'm drawing a blank on it's name right now though, something by alistair I think.)

1 hour ago, Bigboy said:

2. A part that acts as a launch pad, being able to launch ships from the VAB with it.

Not sure what you mean by this.  Why would you want to launch from inside the building?  Or do you mean on top of it?    If you mean on top, you can use the vessel mover mod to get you there, don't need a separate part.  A different part wouldn't change your launch location anyways, it will just spawn at one of the launchsites along with the rest of your craft. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

"There's a mod for that", will it ever get implemented into stock? Maybe, maybe not, but until then, avail yourself of the mod (I'm drawing a blank on it's name right now though, something by alistair I think.)

Extraplanetary Launchpads. I never remember if it's ELP or EPL.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Extraplanetary Launchpads. I never remember if it's ELP or EPL.

Wasn't there some mod that you had to ship materials to a location, or ISRU them, and then you could....  I swear there was another one...

On 5/19/2019 at 8:46 PM, Gargamel said:

"There's a mod for that", will it ever get implemented into stock?

This response is a plague. The whole point of making something stock is so people WONT HAVE TO download mods. I personally refuse to play anything but vanilla because I cant be sure that someone else's mods wont wreck my pc. I'm sure they wouldn't, but I still wont do it because I care too much. At least if Squad implements something, I know my computer or xbox can handle it fine. (Also xbox players cant get mods so.. cant forget that.)

On 5/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, Bigboy said:

1. Part manufacturing

3. I already know that aliens is on the do not discuss list, but I feel that his could work pretty well, multiple "races" that you find, for example, you see an anomaly whilst scanning Eve, and land near it, turns out its some alien ruins, which after discovering gifts you with new parts only accessible that way with a specific part set. The idea is that you have to actually go to a specific place and get new parts out of it.

Also, I support all of this lol

On 5/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, Bigboy said:

3. I already know that aliens is on the do not discuss list, but I feel that his could work pretty well,

i concur;

although it would be nice; to just see them dotted about; if anybody remembers "trap door" (concept thievery); i.e. you have a mum base; a purple one eyed "sea worm" pops up to nosey at what you are doing... (generated automation)

- you could also carry to career mode; once said alien sighted; you have to EVA to location and set a trap (i.e. 3d box generated on ground and then waiting (as in; "phantom pain concept thievery"...), and take live specimen back to kerbin. (OBVIOSULY as a "pet"; and not for science...)

P.S. somebody is going around giving all the good ideas 1 star ratings... (ANNOYING).

22 minutes ago, k00b said:

P.S. somebody is going around giving all the good ideas 1 star ratings... (ANNOYING).

I have no proof of this but I believe 1 star is the default for a thread that's not voted on. Which is 99% of the threads on this board. Rounding down.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have no proof of this but I believe 1 star is the default for a thread that's not voted on. Which is 99% of the threads on this board. Rounding down.

I really wish they'd shut those stupid stars off.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:46 PM, Gargamel said:

Not sure what you mean by this.  Why would you want to launch from inside the building?  Or do you mean on top of it?    If you mean on top, you can use the vessel mover mod to get you there, don't need a separate part.  A different part wouldn't change your launch location anyways, it will just spawn at one of the launchsites along with the rest of your craft. 

The way I read it, is that you’d erect a launch platform somewhere, and then inside the VAB you have the ability to select it, just like we have the desert and baikanur (or whatever, obviously I don’t use them that much) extra launch sites now.

I don’t dislike the idea, especially when it comes with some more colony building to provide the parts on said extra terrestial (extrakerbanian?) launch pads.

20 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

[SNIP], but that is strange as most php forums have 0 stars until voted in my experience (??).

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

19 minutes ago, k00b said:

[SNIP], but that is strange as most php forums have 0 stars until voted in my experience (??).

Haha no problem mate for what it's worth I never took offense. Like @Kerbart I'd prefer zero stars as well. As in, zero stars showing up on the page at all :D

But the next thread you start, check it IMMEDIATELY after you've posted. In my experience it already has one star.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

Just a gentle reminder to stay on topic, folks.  This thread is about a few ideas that @Bigboy is proposing.  The topic is not about forum star ratings.  If folks would rather talk about that instead, I suggest starting your own thread about it over in Kerbal Network.

Thank you for your understanding.

On 5/19/2019 at 4:06 PM, Bigboy said:

1. Part manufacturing

Sure, it could be implemented... but, IMO, it takes a LOT of the fun out of the game. Where's the challenge in flying a grand tour when you can build magically create arbitrarily big ships at arbitrary locations? I mean, sure, it makes sense for a save where you're setting down massive amounts of infrastructure... but at that point you've already probably modded the game, and as mentioned above, there's a mod for this. Several, in fact.

Also, it pushes suspension of disbelief a little too far. I let current stock ISRU slide because rocket fuel is, chemically speaking, not very complicated, but building a rocket is a whole nother story. You need lots of very precisely machined/fabricated parts, many of which cannot be built without lots of supporting infrastructure. Kerbals on Kerbin can built rockets because (in principle, at least) they have an entire planet's worth of supply line behind them. The same cannot be said for an automated lander on Duna. One of the nice things about KSP is, simplifications aside, how much it's based in real rocketry and real physics, but part manufacturing respects neither of these.

I don't care for parts manufacturing but stock KIS/KAS would be nice. I like how it's possible to send out upgrades to ships that are out there, instead of having them become obsolete.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.