Nose Cone A v B

Gargamel

While discussing with some colleagues about the benefits of various nose cones, I stated that I had always encountered that the type B nose cone forces the tip of staged booster into the core of the rocket.

Having done a little research, I found these threads, but none of them (to my quick reading) looked at the aero qualities of the two types after separation. 

After slapping together a quick craft to test this, I noticed that with a few tests, the Type A nose cone cleared the core of the vessel each time, while the Type B impacted the core each time. 

yO6n17o.png

5lP5pWg.png

nopDmgJ.png

Discuss?

It always seemed obvious to me that air flow over the type-b cone would shove it in toward the craft. It's been a while since I experimented but recall being sad to note that it did not do that. I assumed that was for gameplay purposes, as the cone is obviously supposed to be oriented toward the craft as you built it.

Frankly I'm happy it does that, at least now. It makes me feel more like I understand aerodynamics.

29 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It always seemed obvious to me that air flow over the type-b cone would shove it in toward the craft.

Yeah, that was always my thinking.

Built up another one with 8 boosters with the nose cones in a spiral.  Probably made the core too massive, as it had no effect at all during flight.  But once it was staged, you could clearly see the boosters pinwheel away.

dfYDzRO.png

k3bn0r6.png

3a3WUMM.png

xixP8eY.png

Note, this is in 1.3.1

The KSP aero model is very simplified, but the part-configuration for the type-B cones does add extra detail relative to the type-A. 
    CoPOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.313
    CoLOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.313

I take this to mean that the center of pressure is shifted 31cm toward the surface that can surface-attache to a parent part.  So, the drag forces on the nose-cone are a little off-center from the stack of each side booster, in the direction you would expect looking at the shape of that cone.

I always thought the B type was for engine mounts instead of SRB toppers. Well, thats how I usually use them. Like this

32B751E5F5239074A8B9EB0E7E035ED6E1F0748A

I like the A type on radial boosters because the angle toward the ship is good for mounting sepratrons.

I have never noticed the tendency of the type A to move toward the core. Good to know though.

2 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

I always thought the B type was for engine mounts instead of SRB toppers. Well, thats how I usually use them. Like this

32B751E5F5239074A8B9EB0E7E035ED6E1F0748A

I like the A type on radial boosters because the angle toward the ship is good for mounting sepratrons.

I have never noticed the tendency of the type A to move toward the core. Good to know though.

Always noticing new ways to use parts. But hey, as long as you’re putting an engine under it, you can put a small tank there too

The way the Type B works seems intuitive, yeah.

Normally I just use what looks best, and indeed the B is the usual choice for stuff that's going to stay attached. The A goes on boosters. The rounded cone I tend to use atop stuff that is already slanted, where the pointy cones would give an odd-looking break of slope.

In almost all cases with boosters bigger than the hammer i put sepatrons on the nosecones and the B one has higher slant for the sepatron so that it pushes away more, negating its tendency to fly into the core. And besides, it looks better too

On 5/20/2019 at 10:45 AM, cantab said:

The way the Type B works seems intuitive, yeah.

Normally I just use what looks best, and indeed the B is the usual choice for stuff that's going to stay attached. The A goes on boosters. The rounded cone I tend to use atop stuff that is already slanted, where the pointy cones would give an odd-looking break of slope.

Funny, the Type B looks like the top of Ariane 6 final design boosters:

290px-Ariane_62_and_64.svg.png

Even if Type A boosters were considered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.